Dust Collection

syxxstring

What are people using for dust collection in thier shops. I just reorg'd mine(thanks to the addition of free kitchen cabinets) and am looking at the $150-200 ones from ToolKing.com, HarborFreight, and the small Delta at Lowes.

fyi Home Depot says they don't carry them youd have to go somewhere that sold wood working tools and supplys for that. UMMMM what's all that stuff in your tools section?

please :D let me know your experiences and opinions. I currently have a small table saw, router table, and band saw. Will add a jointer, posibly a planer, compound miter, and drill press. Also plan on building a sanding table(mdf box w/ dust collector port and peg board top.

interesting... my home depot has them... they have a demo set up and it's hooked up to all kinds of tools..... Are you talking about the shop vac and a 4-7 outlet system, or just the piping system seperate? i've seen the piping system for 99$... but i'm not sure if that includes the hoses to each tool. i should really get one of them, along with a shop vac that doesn't sound like 19 jet engines....

there's a book available on building your own system out of PVC, I dont remember the title but I do remember that you MUST attach a grounding strap to the pipe because of static electricity building up caused by the dust rubbing the plastic. The right mix of wood dust, Air and a static spark can be very dangerous.(think Coal Dust explosion)

I know about the grounding thing, and I agree Woodshop Pyrotechnics are bad!

The problem I have with the shop vac is hose size. Most dust collectors are 4" really useful for planers and stuff and most shop vacs are 2". The delta is about the same price as most higher end shop vacs. The shop vac also dust seem to do crap to collect dust from my desktop belt sander.

The spiral stair shop i worked in never had a clog. I think thats part of the 4" deal though.

I use two things for dust collection.

1) a 25th aniversary electrolux canister model that just fits the dust "sucker" holes on the scroll saw and mitre saw.

2) a shop vac which fits the router table and can get any stuff off the floor, walls, or cats in the garage.

I've thought about making some PVC extentions and putting a shop vac under one table (I have two for some reason). That way I could work at any tool, and just turn the shop vac on. It would cut down on the floating dust that I have in there. I guess I would have to cap off the ends that I don't need too. :?

• 1 month later...

Finally talked my dad into moving the house vac system out into the shop and setting up a pipping system there, and just run a pipe back into the house so they can still use it as a house vac aswell :D

i'm going to have 5-7 outlets plus the end of the system that plugs into the vac hooked up to my:

drill press (square mouth sitting on the bench)

router

sanding station

compound saw

jointer

planer

and 1 lose hose for general cleaning

just thought i'd share with everyone cause i'm pretty excited B)

there's a book available on building your own system out of PVC, I dont remember the title but I do remember that you MUST attach a grounding strap to the pipe because of static electricity building up caused by the dust rubbing the plastic. The right mix of wood dust, Air and a static spark can be very dangerous.(think Coal Dust explosion)

As appalling as the thought itself is, I would like to hear what the fire department and/or police would diagnose as the reason for the fire...

so long

ace