Charity Acoustic

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tape is off and bindings scraped/sanded clean. The top purfling routs were quite shallow, because they extend out to the ends of the kerfed linings and I didn't want to (accidentally) rout the top off for a second time. In one place I ended up sanding through one of the ebony layers, but that was fixed up with some strategic Sharpie work.

I've also taken a first cut at sanding the conversion varnish off the top (this thing was literally ready for wet sanding and buff-out when the catastrophe happened), but I think I have a little more work to do to even out the finish removal. The cracks in the top show through a bit (impact point was lower-right) but they are tight.

repair9.jpg

It turns out that the pore filling fiasco on the back & sides was due mostly to the fact that I was using a really strong epoxy adhesive rather than an epoxy "finishing resin" which sands much more easily. Now I know. :D

OK, well...I've always wanted to do an acoustic, and at the encouragement of my wife (isn't she great!), I took the plunge to build one for the charity auction that our church is running to raise money for a new building. Lacking a thickness sander, I got me the back & sides and plans from LMI and I'm off and running with the Cumpiano book as my reference.

That was about a month ago....with the goal to finish it in 6 weeks. So what happens? Work gets crazy, no way I'm getting done in time (surprise). So I'll have to hold my own auction when its done and donate the proceeds.

Its going to be a dreadnought with a florentine cutaway. So here we go: 3A Sitka spruce top being glued up; its pretty nice, 10-14 lines per inch and no flaws.

topglue.jpg

I Like the book very much, its really brilliant and the pictures no need to say anything.

Good work keep posting more pictures.

Jeanguitar

• 2 weeks later...
This one is on hold until the weather warms up enough to spray my pre-cat conversion varnish outdoors - that means 68° here in Maryland. Maybe late March or early April. Neck has been dry-fit and neck angle looks good.

:D

How is conversion varnish on acoustics? I have been hesitant in using it on my acoustic build. All my electrics get sprayed with it but I have been leaning towards tru-oil and possibly lacquer.

• 1 month later...

hats off to you sir for having the patience of job... i for one, would have made sure it knew what concrete tasted like as soon as it popped lol

i think in the end it adds character to it. sometimes the imperfections are what make it unique - what would music sound like if an amp didnt fall out of a trunk 60 years ago? who knows, you could end up with a real wicked raspy blues guitar.