Building 540pvii

RGGR, you wouldn't happen the ability to create a 540PII template, would you?

I could stitch couple of A4 pieces of paper together, take sharpie to my 540Pii and copy you the "near' exact shape. Then you can cut out this shape and copy this to piece of 6mm MFD and have create your own template. If you PM me your address info then I could send you the papers in the mail.

Making MDF template myself would be no problem.....but it's more of a pain in the butt and sending it would be more of a hassle. Are you aiming of the shape of the 540Pii, or do you want a completed template???

I'm thinking of doing a 7 string Maxxas version of 540Pii.

maxxas-mx7_3-1.jpg

Edited by RGGR

would you try to hollow it out at all if you did the maxxas? or keep it solid?

I would not try. I would do so.

I think the Maxxas is the best Ibanez guitar ever produced. It was created in an era where innovative ideas were floating around in the company and as a result some awesome guitars were created.

The clamb type hollow body of the Maxxas is a very interesting concept and a building challenge. I don't know if I'm up for that challenge, but one day I'm definitely gonna try.

From all the guitars I have at home.....the Maxxas is my most favorite. The odd shape.......the weird headstock. At first I didn't like the model at all. Appreciated it more for it's innovative construction.

Edited by RGGR

would you try to hollow it out at all if you did the maxxas? or keep it solid?

I would not try. I would do so.

I think the Maxxas is the best Ibanez guitar ever produced. It was created in an era where innovative ideas were floating around in the company and as a result some awesome guitars were created.

The clamb type hollow body of the Maxxas is a very interesting concept and a building challenge. I don't know if I'm up for that challenge, but one day I'm definitely gonna try.

From all the guitars I have at home.....the Maxxas is my most favorite. The odd shape.......the weird headstock. At first I didn't like the model at all. Appreciated it more for it's innovative construction.

the thing about the maxxas though, its all CNC made, so the way ibanez hollowed them isn't much challenge for them... for someone else it would be, and i can't honestly think of a way to do it besides a cnc, itd be so time consuming and tedious to do by hand...

the thing about the maxxas though, its all CNC made, so the way ibanez hollowed them isn't much challenge for them... for someone else it would be, and i can't honestly think of a way to do it besides a cnc, itd be so time consuming and tedious to do by hand...

That's why it's such a wonderful project. It takes some proper planning and a real game plan. Cause you can't really proper hollow out the separate clambs unless you round the outsides......but with rouding the outsides, you loose the nice surface to glue the two clamb parts back together.....it's your perfect catch 22 guitar.

RGGR, you wouldn't happen the ability to create a 540PII template, would you?

I could stitch couple of A4 pieces of paper together, take sharpie to my 540Pii and copy you the "near' exact shape. Then you can cut out this shape and copy this to piece of 6mm MFD and have create your own template. If you PM me your address info then I could send you the papers in the mail.

Cool, will do. Thanks.

Making MDF template myself would be no problem.....but it's more of a pain in the butt and sending it would be more of a hassle. Are you aiming of the shape of the 540Pii, or do you want a completed template???

Well, I won't lie when I say that I've always loved the 540Pii. I was a huge Testament/Alex Skolnick fan back in the day, and I remember him playing one on Headbanger's Ball in the 80's. I was in love instantly. I'd love to make one that's as close to the original as possible, but I wouldn't mind it being slightly off. my only problem has been that I've never seen a good picture of one completely full on from the front. The head builder at the Ibanez US Custom shop recently built a prototype necktrhough 540Pii and posted picks on Jemsite. Some of us are hoping it shows up next year as a re-issue like this years 20th RG's.

I'm thinking of doing a 7 string Maxxas version of 540Pii.

maxxas-mx7_3-1.jpg

That would be awesome.

The Ibanez Maxxas is really my dream guitar. I love playing my MX-3. No other guitar I touched comes close to the look and feel. (I do realize it's an aquired taste as not everybody loves the Maxxas shape)

I have always had it on my list to recreate something like that. The challenge of building the clambshell body......

At first I was thinking of a 7, but playing around with Photoshop came up with the 540pii idea.

PM your address details and then I can get cracking on the paper drawing.

I was a huge Testament/Alex Skolnick fan back in the day, and I remember him playing one on Headbanger's Ball in the 80's.

alex skolnick is da man...i watched a little thing back then of them recording "practice what you preach" and he was playing the first issue of the ibanez sabre s540(the one that says "custom" on the fretboard) ...and about 2 years later i bought the exact same guitar in south carolina...i still have it,and though i have a warmoth neck on it right now,i still have the wizard neck waiting for me to refret it.now it has emg 81/s/s pickups in it,and it is the most versatile guitar i ever owned.anything from the clearest,most articulate metal on up to stevie ray...it's got some real spank on the neck pickup...add to that the edge trem in cosmo black and it really is nice

i need to build up my refret skills first though,because i do not want to chip the board...

Based on my own 540Pii

CIMG3839.jpg

I had Dave of fretsonthenet.com create me a custom neckplate and a custom triple bucket pup ring based on Cad file I send him.

The quality of Dave's work is great and now I can route the neck cavity and install the neck.

I will order a Dimarzio Blaze 7 middle pup and a Dimarzio 7 string Humbucker. I haven't decided which humbucker yet. Still have to figure out which pup will go well with Swamp Ash body. I was thinking a ToneZone.

Any ideas?

Edited by RGGR

It's just the picture...here is another one....

CIMG3840.jpg

I do tend to keep the ends of my necks square, and I have learned that is more of a hassle when routing the neckpocket.

You need the whip out the chissel.....and that sometimes is a pain in the behind.

In next builds......I think I will leave nice contour corner on the neck, so I can just route neck pocket with 1/2" bit and be done with it. In my future builds this will the way going forward, I think.

Edited by RGGR

• 7 years later...

Hello, im new to this site, but ive been searching for whatever pictures, or if you were still willing to make templates? i need one for the 24 fret Ibanez 540PII. I pretty much on accident got a project guitar for cheap that had an original 24 fret 540PII neck on some cheapo rg270 body. ive looked on ebay for a H/H body but the guy that makes them on a cnc only has the body with the all access neck joint, when the neck i have belongs on a body like the orange H/S that you have posted with the rounded area around the square heel like neck joint. also the guy has the contour on the top part of the back of the body completely wrong. I wrote him and asked about having one made with the right specs and the price went from $140 to that plus $65 bucks an hour, and it would take at least 3 hours to shorten the contour and leave a little extra wood so the neck joint could be square. So ive decided to try and build one on my own out of some teak blanks that look really nice, and are super dence. if you could possibly help me get a template mainly of the front, back, and control cavity I can change the pickup combo to H/H. I also thought it would be cool to add the input jack routing on the bottom under the strap button like the JS1000 since its control cavity is basically the same shape. id appreciate any help that i could get, right now im trying to find straight on pictures of the body to try drawing it out to scale using the pickup and tremolo routes to calculate the approxamite shape since ive been looking for a few years for info on the bodies and trying to track down a template with no luck. please let me know if you could help.

Thanks,

Ross

• 2 years later...

very old topic and it seems some of these members have not visited anymore in the past few years.

Would like to get a copy of a 540P template for my next project to use as a base for a new design. Going to mash it up with a mosrite template.

anybody has one available?