Working With Aluminum

Mickguard

I think there may be a little confusion here. You will never cast a part that will be ready to use out of the mold. Anything made in a sand mold would require some kind of machining or another to get close tolerances.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but casting aluminum is not an easy task. Yes it will melt easier than steel, but it is a pain in the neck to pour. I did it for 4 months nad hated it. we milled the molds of steel and had to pre heat them because it was a bit cold outside and the aluminum was not flowing propertly as soon as it hit the halfway point inside the mold. Also, you need a furnace (nice set up with a big propane tank and a blower to raise the temp just a bit) to propertly melt and keep it liquid for the time you will be doing the process. And after this you still have to machine it some, not too much if your mold was done propertly, but there is some more work involved.

I will go with the mini milling machine set up. This is on my to get list for next Tax Refund. Nice to have.