Guitar Of The Month For June

Guitar of the Month for June  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setch's was looking good, until I got to Dan's LP. WOW. Wenge top... I love wenge. AMAZING first build, imo. Although I would have rather have seen black or gold hardware with the wenge top, it definately got my attention.

My reason behind voting for Doeringer's entry is three fold. First (and most important) I've liked this guitar tfrom the start. Second, he bought some parts from me. Third, he's going to send me some beef jerky. AWESOME.

Love the color work and overall style.

An excellent GOTM this month! Well, I voted for Dan Salter's LP. A great build and its his first too.

Setch's Doublecut LP - Great from the start, immense attention to detail

Doeringer's Custom - Excellent, love neck-throughs, but the poorly masked binding put me off. Overall, nice job.

Verhoevenc's 'Mu X' E-Series is a great result, love it, though the turquoise was not to my liking.

Scott French - What more to say? A great inspiration to me, but the colour was a big nono...

GodinSD's Milkdud- sorry, couldn't resist it. But yea, I have always admired your work, even though I am a few months older, I see you as a big brother in the luthiery world. However, the shape....like I said, milk-dud.

Southpa's SG - Nice. Though judging from the pics, it seems that the clear could be more glossy and the burst could blend more. But I like the inlays.

Dan Slater's LP - Last but not least, your work is amazing especially as a 1st! The neck joint and heel is a winner, and the detail, outstanding, not as good as setch, but better than me lol. That's not saying much...

Seeing as it looks like setch will clean up and as i like the battle of the wenge guitars idea i thought i would vote for godins wenge entry...also because although we built at completely different times we shared a similar vision of wenge matched with chrome pick up rings and hardware....whomever mentioned these wenge tops should have gold hardware obviously has a very sweet tooth and likes sickly stuff?. ( joke) personally i detest gold hardware , i still wont like it when they invent some gold plate that doesnt wear off in a couple of years....I hate bling and as i mentioned elsewhere i hate gold full stop on people, jewellery, car badges, guitars....BUT it may be a british thing...In the UK we have this awful CHAV/PIKEY/GYPSEY culture ( Anyone see SNATCH? the movie?) ....and GOLD is linked with all of them....too much gold which is cheap looking.....

I also think with the dark dark wenge top gold would just not look right. But its all a matter of taste. ( Knowing me ill build a les paul custom next with gold hardware ha ha)

ANYWAYS.....im so chuffed i got some votes i cant stop smiling....good luck peeps...

So yep...GODIN got my vote! :D

Yep, nothing ruins a nice guitar faster than gold hardware. B)

The rundown...

Setch's work is always impressive, his level of detail and care in execution inspire me to try harder when working on my own guitars. For that alone, he deserves my vote...except he doesn't need it. Same goes for Scott :D

I'm pretty sure I voted for Godin's guitar a couple of times already...think I'll wait for his next one to be done :D Ditto for southpa

I'm not a huge fan of the neck through laminate look, even though Doeringer's guitar is excellent, and I really like the Ovation-style headstock. Like the idea for the placement of the strap knob too.

So that leaves me with Dan's and Verhoeven's to choose from...and this one is tough one--especially since it's the first guitar for both, and both came out really nicely. Dan's headstock is great, and that neck joint is a nice, fancy but 'non-bling' touch.

But in the end, I like it that verhoeven tried for an original design (I'm still not in love with the f-holes though), I like his choice of woods/colors too. And because of this guitar (and Scott's GOTM win last month) I suddenly realized that I had to make my own hollowbody...Besides, you gotta love the romantic part of the build, the love note inside and all...So my vote goes for verhoeven.

Well well well...

In order of appearence and my reactions to each...

Setch's DC LP swept me off my feet from the beginning. "That's my vote!" Says I...

Then comes Doerenger's guitar... "Oh my god, look at that beatiful body! That's my vote!" says I...

verhoevenc's guitar comes along, and it really tickled me deep on the inside where my big ol' bad blues self is hiding. "Theres my vote" says I... I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Scott's bass: "WOW! Thats green. Look at that neck joint! How is he doing this?! Theres my vote!" ... Woe is me at this point. 4 fantastic guitars and the month wasnt over yet!

Godin: "Hey I've seen this before... It looks so comfy.. and look at that neck! My vote goes here!"

Southpa: "Oooh! SG! Oooh! Blue-black burst! Vote, vote,vote!"

Dan: Fantastic first build. I can only dream of having my first turn out that nice! I love that top so much, and believe me i was hell-bent on voting for you until....

I looked back up and saw this picture again. And then this one. I'm sorry but if that ain't one of the most beautiful necks I've ever seen I don't know what is :D Go Godin! You also win the most artistic pictures award.

I really like Setch's entry a lot. Exceptional detail without overstatement.

But my vote ended up going to Dan's LP

At first, I was a bit put off by the profile of the top carve, the way it rises rather abruptly from the edge.

But it kinda grew on me, and actually it reminds me of this

acoustic archtop by Orville Gibson around 1900 which I also thought was kinda odd-looking at first.

I especially like the neck joint. That came out very well. The stepped effect that the curve of the neck heel following the curve of the body makes is very nice.

man, this month was tough. Scott's double cut was simply perfect. I loved the wenge topped LP and Godin's wenge guitar. The Mu X was also really neat. I'd love to own any of them, but in the end I had to give it to scott.... that thing is just out of this world.

Great job to all! :D

Edited by fookgub

!!WOW!! Ok first this is geting harder and harder every month :D

Godin man I love that guitar but I hate the headstock :D thats the only thing that I would love to see you doing differnt but its your guitar and only my oppinion so keep up the good work my friend B)

Setch Setch Setch Im blown away by the quality and effort you put in to that HOT SEXY GUITAR

every thing works for me on that axe so clean and decivingly simple its a quiet cool I love it man

You got my vote

This goes out to every one this month

30762974_l.gif !!!WOW!!! 30762974_l.gif

!!METAL MATT!! :D

whomever mentioned these wenge tops should have gold hardware obviously has a very sweet tooth and likes sickly stuff?

No, I actually detest gold most of the time. Yet somehow both of my guitars have gold hardware...

It may have just been the lighting in your pictures. If you could get a picture of the top in natural sunlight I might change my mind. :D

Careful or the wenge gremlins will find you and attack your guitars if you don't change your mind about the headstock!

Im Sure the Impaler has much to fear from "wenge gremlins" :D

Lets see "wenge gremlins" :D -VS- The IMPALERS LEIGONS OF HELL

Just buging man, I really do like your designs but not the headstock

!!METAL MATT!! B)

whomever mentioned these wenge tops should have gold hardware obviously has a very sweet tooth and likes sickly stuff?

No, I actually detest gold most of the time. Yet somehow both of my guitars have gold hardware...

It may have just been the lighting in your pictures. If you could get a picture of the top in natural sunlight I might change my mind. :D

There are 2 or 3 shots in natural light ( from window) in the linked pics. ;-)

It was a tough call between Setch and Godin...

A little dye action on the top might have tipped it in Setch's favor, but that wenge beast with the nice fingerboard binding (and great photography) made me vote for it... despite the potato/milk dud vibe. :D

Congratulations to all the entrants this month - absolutely top notch work all around!

Mike