Shaping My Neck Questions About Heal

• 3 weeks later...

where can i order a spokeshave?

And store with a good selection of handtools should have a few. Think Woodcraft, Rockler. LeeValley.com is probably one of the best places to go for good quality hand tools in the US. Online-store-wise, anyway. Realize that, like with any edged tool, you want to learn (if you don't know already) how to sharpen up the blade so you could practically shave with it. Otherwise, I say go with rasps and scrapers. Less of a learning curve, IMO, and although I do know how to sharpen my spokeshaves, I don't even bother with them anymore.

Edited by Mattia

I use Half round rasp, spoke shaves (concave, flat and sometimes convex), a couple small planes, Sureform, scrapers, chisels, sanding blocks, and sandpaper sheets(which ones depends on the type of neck). I am however very interested in making a grouped old bansaw blade rasp (I saw a post on this). I have a handful of old blades, and seems like a great idea (even old 3tpi Timberwolves ought to make a hella agressive rasp).

Peace,Rich

• 1 year later...

Rich, Did you ever try the bandsaw rasp idea out?? Sounds like a good idea for worn out or old blades. Also, do you remember where you saw it, I was just curious on how it was done. I had never heard of seen of this, but it just sounds like a cool idea. PLus it never hurts to have another rasp.

As for shaping the heel, I went with a flat scraper and half round rasp as well. I took off much of the bulk of the entire neck with a spokeshave and fine tuned the ends with the scraper and rasp, which worked wonders. I really enjoyed using the spokeshave the most, it worked wonderfully and made quick work of the neck blank. My blank was very thick made of maple and jatoba and the spokeshave got it close enough to start shaping with the rasp in 5-10 minutes and thats with continually checking all my progress.

I cut the rough profile with my band saw and then use my orbital sander to get it close to the finished specs. Then I polish it out by hand with sand paper and micro mesh.

I do a lot of neck through guitars so there are times I have to use a half round rasp to get the tight spots.

I don’t suggest using an electric sander unless you are comfortable with how it reacts and you like spending a lot on sand paper.

Jason,

No I haven't gotten around to trying it. LMI sells them (although I think they use grouped hacksaw blades (alternating the tooth orientation so it cuts in both directions).

I started looking for tools to eliminate as much sanding as I could years ago. Sharp blades(hand planes, chisels, scrapers) or even course rasps beat the heck out of all that nasty sanding(I sand to smooth a surface, but not to remove much material). After you have worked out how to get a good edge on your blades, the speed and control can't be beat. I find it very difficult to keep a surface true with sanding in most all but a few tasks.

Peace,Rich