Ibanez V8-7 and V7-7 Pickup Wire Colors

Rocket

I'm wiring these Ibanez PU's to a Megaswitch "P". I went to the Ibanez website and got the diagram but it shows their specialized switch so I can't tell how they would relate to the Megaswitch . Except the grounds of course. Plus I guess red is hot. But I always thought white was the tap with Ibanez, which the diagram shows going to the switch for the bridge but the neck's white goes to the pot with the shield ground. :D

FYI the neck PU is 4 conductor.

These links should help:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams.html#oem

(Excuse the slow site; it takes TIME to load up that big ol' Jacks*n background pic. LOL)

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/wiring/co...colorcodes.html

(Not complete, but....a good place to start)

Also, check for the "Terminal Cross Reference" chart on the lower right side of the diagrams.

Thanks, I know of that site. I didn't think to go there because I printed out the important pages a couple years ago and keep them with my electronics books. But I looked just now at the color codes and they have Ibanez listed as "Hot Output=white; Coil Tap=red" whereas on the page I printed out it lists "Hot Output=red; Coil Tap=white"!! I wonder why they changed it? Looking at Ibanez.com diagrams I have it's clear that on the RG550 the hot is red because the middle PU red goes to the switch and the white to ground, and the 2 hums red's go to lugs on the switch either side of the middle lug. Also i put a V8 into a guitar alone (1 hum->vol.->output jack) and used red as hot and it's humbucking.

From looking at the RG550 wiring diagram, and assuming that the switch is the same as in my S540LTD, then the red would be hot and the white would be the coil tap. With the switch in position 2 or 4, the humbucker's tap is grounded through the switch so that only one of the humbucker's coils is on at the same time as the middle pickup.

In your first post, you say that "the neck's white goes to the pot with the shield ground". Which wiring diagram are you referring to (what year), because that's not what I see in the RG550 diagram?

Oh sorry, these are 7 string versions of the V8 and V7. I looked at the 2002 version of the RG7420. They actually came out of a 2003 RG1527 but they don't have that diagram up yet at Ibanez.com.

There's a bit of confusion here added to a lack of available information.

You said your pickups are 7-string versions of the V7 and V8. From what I see in the RG550 diagram, both pickups have 2 wires plus a shield, but you mentioned that your neck pickup has 4 conductors. Is it a V77 as in the RG7420 diagram? If so, then we can't rely on the regular V7 and V8 as reference for obvious reasons.

If what you have is a V77, then it's hard to go by the RG7420 diagram because I don't know the configuration of the special 5-way switch. I doubt it's like the switch in my S540 because the diagram wouldn't make sense. My educated guess about the V77 (if there is no error in the wiring diagram) would be that the red is hot, white is common (ground) along with the shield, black and green are connected together to make the coil tap. On the other hand, if there is an error in the diagram and the pickup is like my old IBZ USA pickups (also like DiMarzio color code), then the red is hot, green is common, and black and white are connected together to make your coil split. Try these two possibilities first and if neither works, come back and we'll try to sort it out.

If you successfully used the V8 as a humbucker with red as hot, then the white should be the coil split so you've solved that problem yourself.

BTW, in case it doesn't work out, do you have a multimeter (or at least an ohmmeter)?

I should've posted on here, I found a thread on Jemsite where a guy knew what the colored wires for the V77 were, so I used those and it worked out. I wound up using a 3 way switch and it split the humbuckers in the middle position giving a Straty split sound.

The only reason I mentioned an RG550 in this thread was as a reference, I thought if one Ibanez PU had red as hot, white as coil tap that they ALL would but it turns out that is not the case with the 4 conductor V77(I forget what each was, I have it written down). I put these PU's in an RG7620. Thanks :D