Japanese Shamisen

I was watching the Discovery channel last night, the name of the program was "The Secret World of Geishas"

To my amazment the cost's they have to put up with to perform their roles in society is amazing! One of the aspect's of being a Geisha is that they are an artist, be it performing or other talent and one of the instruments commonly used buy these women is the Shamisen.

What amazes me is the cost, they pay upwards of $10,000 for one of these and there is a shortage of high quality one's.

I did a quick net search and found them down in the $650 range but still WOW!

I was watching the Discovery channel last night, the name of the program was "The Secret World of Geishas"

To my amazment the cost's they have to put up with to perform their roles in society is amazing! One of the aspect's of being a Geisha is that they are an artist, be it performing or other talent and one of the instruments commonly used buy these women is the Shamisen.

What amazes me is the cost, they pay upwards of $10,000 for one of these and there is a shortage of high quality one's.

I did a quick net search and found them down in the $650 range but still WOW!

At first glance I thought this might be an Urhu or a Horse-Head Violin from China. But this one is new to me.

Here's a site the I visit from time to time, just to see what other weird thing I could get into.

http://www.mhs.mendocino.k12.ca.us/MenComN...Larknet/catalog

Oh, and I saw that show too. :D

The price's they pay just to dress and also have their hair fixed is out of this world wouldn't you say?

Third Eye, one of the problems with these instuments is the constant upkeep, I mean the girls bring them into the shop once every two to three months for maintence.........at $200-300 a pop.