Nut Slotting Files

fryovanni

So I saw a couple nut slotting"kits" on Ebay. One looks like they took a set of thickness gauges and cut teeth into them. The other had a box with a set of round files. Looking at the second I realized that is a torch cleaner set. I thought man that is a $3 through away tool. Well I was curious enough to test how it works. It will do the job (actually quite cleanly). It is not as fast as a full size set of files, but if you are just starting and a full set of files are not in the budget. You can pick up a torch tip cleaner set at Home Depot for around $3 and get the job done.

Peace,Rich

If you're on about normans nut files I've allready got some...

And they're excellent! A little dry soap as a lubricant and they cut bone smoothly and easily. Far better than normal files.

My big question when I saw the two different kits. How could those be as good as full sized files? Normans cost like $50. It seemed to me that for a few dolloars(well, like $30) more you would be better off with regular files, but sounds like you are giving them higher marks than I would have anticipated. Good to know. The torch tip cleaner sets. Are such an inexpensive tool that, and so commonly available. Amazing how such simple things (and inexpensive) can get the job done well. I hope this info helps out those guys just starting to tool up with the specialty tools. It can sure be a lot of $$$ when you are first building a collection.

Peace,Rich

I have yet to recieve them, so I can't comment on the quality - but they come in at a little over 1/3rd of the price of any equivalent from StewMac. Based on the images on his site, they appear nicely rounded, and are apparently heat treated to temper the cutting edge.

Norman's are $50 for 11 gauges. Stew Mac double edged set costs $125.95 for 12 gauges, and the single edges files would run to $140 for 11 sizes - so it is a significant saving - IMO enough of a saving to warrant investigation.

If they're not much cop I'll be the first to speak up - but I hope they're as good as Jammy says - otherwise I'm out $50!

I have yet to recieve them, so I can't comment on the quality - but they come in at a little over 1/3rd of the price of any equivalent from StewMac. Based on the images on his site, they appear nicely rounded, and are apparently heat treated to temper the cutting edge.

Norman's are $50 for 11 gauges. Stew Mac double edged set costs $125.95 for 12 gauges, and the single edges files would run to $140 for 11 sizes - so it is a significant saving - IMO enough of a saving to warrant investigation.

If they're not much cop I'll be the first to speak up - but I hope they're as good as Jammy says - otherwise I'm out $50!

$50 vs $140, ($3 vs $140) is a lot of money. I hope a few guys in need of a set, but are having trouble fitting it into the budget are watching this topic. Good info!

Peace,Rich

I made my own set of feeler guage nut slotting files long ago, and tried tons of other files, but I finally broke down and bought a whole set of Stew Mac ones after being frustrated. If your only going to do a couple of guitars a year, then by all means buy what you can to get the job done. But if you plan on doing repair work, building guitars, and doing setups for people, go ahead and invest in some good ones. I've had my set for almost two years now, and they still are as good as when I bought them after using them week after week. The Stew Mac ones may cost more, but nut files are something you shouldn't skimp on. One word of caution though, the .010" one will break if it binds and you try to force it. Other than that, I've never had a problem.

I made my own set of feeler guage nut slotting files long ago, and tried tons of other files, but I finally broke down and bought a whole set of Stew Mac ones after being frustrated. If your only going to do a couple of guitars a year, then by all means buy what you can to get the job done. But if you plan on doing repair work, building guitars, and doing setups for people, go ahead and invest in some good ones. I've had my set for almost two years now, and they still are as good as when I bought them after using them week after week. The Stew Mac ones may cost more, but nut files are something you shouldn't skimp on. One word of caution though, the .010" one will break if it binds and you try to force it. Other than that, I've never had a problem.

I couldn't agree more. I know specialty files are expensive (especially when you are just starting, or maybe slot 1 or two times per. year). The torch tip cleaner set is not what I would want to use daily or even weekly. If you are building that many you will probably have the budget to get full size files. A three dollar tool though that will get you going, and do the job correctly. Is a nice option. :D

I try out things like this when I get a chance. I saw a $2 saw the other day that looked to be about the correct size for fret slotting. Well I tried it on scrap Ebony. It cut pretty well, but the slot measured out at .019" (no-go). If it did work well I would have definately tossed it out as an option. That said I would never slot by hand again since I bought the circular saw set up (it is much faster), but when I started the hand saw was the only tool I could sqeeze into the budget.

Peace,Rich

Thanks to all you guys for posting the info on this thread. I've been playing around with some scrap wood, building my first "test" neck, and I just can't justify the $$ for a set of nut files right now. The torch tip cleaner sounds like a good option to me, and I might give that a try when it comes time. Thanks!! :D

• 1 year later...

I promised to update when I'd tried my Norman Nutfiles, so...

They work really well. They cut smoothly and create a very nice round cut. You can use the back edge as a straight edge to see how close you are to final depth, and once you're at te depth you want, you can burnish the slot with a little cutting paste on the back of the file. I'm really impressed, especially for an inexpensive product.

They work really well. They cut smoothly and create a very nice round cut. You can use the back edge as a straight edge to see how close you are to final depth, and once you're at te depth you want, you can burnish the slot with a little cutting paste on the back of the file. I'm really impressed, especially for an inexpensive product.

I have them too and I loooooooove them. :D

I have them too and I loooooooove them. :D

Great! tell me now, after I got 6 individual nut files from Stew Mac at 13.00 each. Arghghgh!

So where do you get these Norman files? Do they have other interesting tools?

:D

Norman Nut Files

That is a link to an ebay listing for some of those nut files and check to see other items, I saw a couple listed, but some were ending soon including this one in about 9 hrs. I haven't checked further for a store yet or any other place to buy them, but I will look soon. I just read this thread and was happily surprised, I always love a price break when I can get one, though I recently read something else from someone whose advice I trust and I believe it involved sandpaper. I just got a bunch of beautiful bone and buffalo horn nuts from woodenspoke so as with everything I will experiment between the two ideas to see what works for me better. Thanks for the info on those files though, they seem well worth trying.

NOTE: I'd imagine the link will die when the auction ends, so just search for "guitar nut files" or maybe even "norman nut files". The trick is to avoid the word combined as in nutfiles, that didn't work even with the name norman in front. I don't know that "slotting" will turn up the norman files. If I find a more permanent link, I'll edit this one. J

Edited by jmrentis

How are the "Norman files" different from buying a set of feeler gauges and cutting teeth in them with something like a Japanese feather-edge file ? (which I had done, but the "files" were too dull after about 4 nut-jobs [i mean on guitars, not crazy people I saw at a bus stop and decided to abuse with files] )

I assume I could re-sharpen my feeler-gauge files by running the feather-edge file over the teeth again, but already got many real-deal nut files that don't get dull , plus the "sandpaper files" are nice.

Dude, if you already have the StewMac pro nut files, you don't need to buy more. Those work just great. I'm still dithering between getting the norman ones, or spending just a little more and buying from Warmoth. Start the cut with a saw, finish off with the nut files, BTW, works better. Besides, we're all aware that we only need part of the string in a nut slot, right? Right.

I have a basic set of the StewMac files. But, I don't know what a torch tip cleaner is ( :D ), so I'm curious. Pics or reference?

Sorry, I didn't even think about attaching a link.

Granger

Home Depot, Page 6 of their welding supplies section.

Just a bunch of little round files, plus a little flat file. Nothing fancy.

Peace,Rich

Thanks, Rich. These should probably work OK for me.

How are the "Norman files" different from buying a set of feeler gauges and cutting teeth in them with something like a Japanese feather-edge file ? (which I had done, but the "files" were too dull after about 4 nut-jobs [i mean on guitars, not crazy people I saw at a bus stop and decided to abuse with files] )

I assume I could re-sharpen my feeler-gauge files by running the feather-edge file over the teeth again, but already got many real-deal nut files that don't get dull , plus the "sandpaper files" are nice.

Well, they're different from the feeler gauges I've seen, because the edges are round, not square. If you can find feeler gauges or metal stock in the sizes required, more power to you. I imagine they will dull rather faster than a regular file, but I don't see any reason to work them hard - assuming you size your nuts properly first, you only need to remove 2/3rds the diameter of an e-string as your deepest cut, and that can be reduced by roughing out with a gauged saw blade. I think a lot of the folks who have reviewed these and were dissatisfied with their performance were using them to slot an unprofiled blank, which is a recipe for blunt tools.

I think a lot of the folks who have reviewed these and were dissatisfied with their performance were using them to slot an unprofiled blank, which is a recipe for blunt tools.

I'd also bet those same people are giving their tuning machines bad reviews as well! :D