Pedal

matttheguy

Alright, so I'm going out to buy a 47k resistor, an LED, a battery clip (I'm going to actually pick up a 9v and a 2-AAA clip), and I'll have to order a DPDT switch.

As for the plug, I found an old, cut cable under my stereo, and was curious if I could somehow use it:

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/1152/plug4yi.jpg

Alright, so I have this thing wired up, right? There are a couple of problems, though. Instead of controlling the channel, it controls the DSP. That isn't THAT big of a deal, at least I know it's working. Thing is, it's working backwards! When the pedal is switched OFF, the DSP is ON, and when the pedal is switched ON, the DSP is OFF. So, to have a clean style with no FX, I have to use batteries?

Eh?

Edited by matttheguy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi man, I just got up, but I think I know what you are saying, the led in on when the dsp is off.

First, If the plug you used is a stereo, change the tip connection to the other tip connection, that should give you the channel switch or whatever the other thing was.

Next take the led wire on the switch that is on the far side(not the central connection), and swap to the opposite side of that switch pole.

- -

- -

- -

switch probably looks something like that on the back, if say, the led and battery circuit is wired to the centre right and top right connections, swap to centre right, and bottom right, if on left side.

That should fix the led problem. If you are still having trouble post a photo of what you've got, and I'll try to figure it out for you.

I won't be online much today, but I'll check back in a few hours if I can, see how you are going.

Alex

edit: just looked at the photo, that's a mono plug, you need a stereo plug. The channel switching must be on the second notch thingy that stereo plugs have.

Edited by Mr Alex

Primal, one isn't made for this amp, and I'd like to make my own, anyway.

Alex. The thing is, the switch has to be ON to make it a clean feed, meaning that to play clean, I have to use battery power. I play clean much more often than I play DSP, so that means the battery will run out kind of fast.

Edit:

Alright, here's what's happening, full on explanation.

schematic9at.jpg

Okay, it's a DPDT on/off/on switch. I have a 4-AAA battery clip, with the red wire running to a 300 Ohm resistor (the 47k didn't even let the LED shine), through a red LED, on to terminal 6 of the switch. The black wire runs directly to terminal 5. From the plug, there were two layers of wire each with separate casing. The inner wire goes directly to terminal 3 whereas the outer wire goes directly to terminal 2.

When this is plugged in, in the OFF position, the LED is off, the switch is off, the batteries not in use, but the DSP is ON. When the switch is in the (correct) ON position, the LED turns on, batteries are being used, and the DSP is turned off.

What I would like it to do is when it's in the OFF position, I would like the LED to be OFF and the DSP to be OFF, and when in the ON position, the DSP on, LED on, so on so forth.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I'm just not that good at wiring! Sorry if I'm a hassle.

Edited by matttheguy

I wouldn't worry. An LED running on 4 AAA batteries would probably last a year or more. LEDs have VERY low power consumption. Try re-wiring the battery clip and put all of the batteries in parallel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/ins.../parallel-1.jpg

As opposed to series:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/ins...00/series-1.jpg

In parallel, you will have 4 batteries with a voltage of 1.5v. In series, it gives you 6v. Your LED should have no problem running on 1.5v, and will last MUCH longer.

Ah, so instead of having two sets of wires coming from that cable, there would be, say, 4? And then I would connect the rest to either a different switch or to this one perhaps, because it has two separate on settings, but then I couldn't have clean and DSP, or overdrive and DSP due to the restrictions on one.

I see!

I get it now, I think!

Could I pick up a stero cable with a similar jack at radio shack?

So, If I go out and buy another switch, another LED, another resistor and one of these: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search , I should be okay to set up a foot switch that controls both DSP and the channels?

Scratch that, a 1/4 instead of a 1/8, but the same thing.

Edited by matttheguy

Exactly. No need for the resistor if you are using AAA batteries in parallel. If you use series, you are just wasting energy by pumping 3 times the required voltage for the LEDs and then running it through a resistor to reduce the voltage. It's just far simpler to get rid of your resistor and put the batteries in parallel.

Yes, a stereo will have 4 wires rather than two. The wiring diagram looks good. You only need an on/on DPDT switch, though. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not so sure about the wiring diagram. Without knowing the actual circuitry of the switching circuit in the amp, I would be wary of running power through it. Out of curiosity, might it work without the battery? Obviously there will be a current running through the pedal, surely enough to drive two LEDs. Try the footswitch without the batteries. I've never actually seen a footswitch that needs batteries, so the LEDs should still work without them (although you may have to add a resistor in front of them just in case the voltage is over 2v or so.

When the cord is plugged in, and the two wires coming from it are touched, DSP turns off, and when they are separated, DSP turns on........

Where would I add the LEDs in this, terminals 5 and 6, with a resistor in between? or terminals 2 and 3?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6418/schematic36gg.jpg

Edited by matttheguy

Okay, lets say the terminals on the switch go like this:

Take the wire that is connected to 5 and connect it to 1. I JUST NOW figured out the workings of DPDT switchs, haha. By connecting the wire that is at 5 to the 1 terminal, you will get LED on when the circuit is broken and DSP is off. Forget what I said in my last post about the batteries and such. I'll draw up a wiring diagram real quick, just gimme a sec. :D

EDIT: Okay, this SHOULD work: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/ins...a100/wiring.jpg

Alright, I'll have to pick up some plain on/off DPDTs and test them out, as I have the on/off/on, so all your diagram did was make it so I was just moving how to turn things on and off around, but now I see that it's just a fault of the parts I bought.

Thank you! Also, I assume the red wire that connects the two LEDs come from the batteries also?

Err, I'm totally lost with whats happened since yesterday, I Figured out how it needs to be wired, and started doing a layout, but had to go tool shopping. So let me know if you are still having trouble, and I'll finish the diagram. But it sounds like you've got it going now, or is it still switching the dsp not the channels?

I'm also confused as to why there would be 4 wires coming out of a stereo plug. should be ring, tip1(very end) and tip2(between the two lines on the shaft). Of which for channel switching only, you just need ring and tip2.

Anyway, hope its working for ya.

Well, I got the stereo plug, two toggle DPDT switches and all that jazz and wired it up. Now, it only had two sets of wires coming out, so I could only go to one of the switches. Now, it doesn't do exactly what I want it to yet, it's very hard to explain. It controls BOTH at the same time, and in an odd way. In one direction, it's on channel one with DSP off and in the other direction, its on channel two with DSP on.

At least we're getting somewhere.

Also, it's the same when I split those two sets of wires into four paths and connect them to the four terminals on the separate switches...

Here's what happens with the two switches.

When Switch 1 is on (By on I mean LED on), and switch 2 is off, DSP is off and it stays on Channel 2. When Switch 1 and 2 are both on, it goes to Channel 1 and DSP on. When switch 1 is off, regardless of whether switch 2 is on or off, it stays on channel 2 and DSP off. So, it's switching both at once and giving me no control. I like to mix things up a bit, heh!

Edited by matttheguy

I didn't realise you wanted to switch the dsp as well as the channels, give me till tomorrow to draw you up a new diagram for 2 switches. I can't see any reason why it won't work with what I'm gonna draw up.

Well, first off, there are only two sets coming out. You have the two chennels, and then a common ground (the long one on the left). It may be a good idea to get a stereo guitar cable, because you can actually take those apart and look at what you are doing.

The switches, if I'm not mistaken, really need to be staggered like on my diagram. His amp has DSP ON when the circuit is BROKEN, same for the Channel 2.

Also, it should be noted that the black wire coming from the battery is the negative terminal. It would work the other way, you would just need to put the resistor on the other side of the LED.

Yes, the switches would be mistaken, as we discussed last night, but that's just personal preference as to when you want the LEDs on.

As for the ground... can you explain this more? I have an inner set of wires covered with plastic and then the outer set covered, and that's it...

Edit: As for me, I'm going to head to bed. I'd advise it for anyone else in the Eastern timezone, also! Thanks for your help, I'll be sure to read it in the morning.

Edited by matttheguy