Nitro Clear Over Enamel

barry

I have sprayed my MIJ squier body with Rustoleum multi purpose enamel. It looks beautiful, but I think it is too soft for a final finish. I intend to spray Rustoleum clear nitro laquer over this and buff that to a high polish. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Oh and by the way, I waited a week to finish my first nitro cellulose finish, as per Melvin Hiscocks advice, and oh my god, the finish is still moving and stressing around pots and bridge etc. I will wait at least 8 weeks before finishing this one. I know I cannot hold a candle to the pros, but am I crazy thinking "what the H... was he thinking?

Edited by barry

• 6 months later...
I have sprayed my MIJ squier body with Rustoleum multi purpose enamel. It looks beautiful, but I think it is too soft for a final finish. I intend to spray Rustoleum clear nitro laquer over this and buff that to a high polish. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Oh and by the way, I waited a week to finish my first nitro cellulose finish, as per Melvin Hiscocks advice, and oh my god, the finish is still moving and stressing around pots and bridge etc. I will wait at least 8 weeks before finishing this one. I know I cannot hold a candle to the pros, but am I crazy thinking "what the H... was he thinking?

I dont like enamel, they dont dry hard ever, they tend to crack rather than dry, and most of all they take forever to cure, if they ever do cure. Some lacquer may have adhesion problem with enamel... I learned this the hard way in some cases...

Other times the enamel will simply wrinkle and lift if lacquer is sprayed over it... especially the cheap ones.

I intend to spray Rustoleum clear nitro laquer over this and buff that to a high polish. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Yes....not that i've ever tried (enamel's really not an instrument finish) but i think the nitro will try to burn into the enamel and you'll be left with a gooey mess.

Jem

I'd forget that idea. You might get away with it if the enamel finish is totally cured (literally takes months) and the lacquer clear is sprayed on very sparingly and over a very long time period. Otherwise, the acetone in the lacquer will eat right into the underlying finish resulting in crazing, cracking, bubbling, etc.

Enamel will take up to a year to fully cure and still will not be durable enough to use on a guitar body. Same goes for Krylon, which is suppose to be an "acrylic lacquer".

If you're just trying to paint that one guitar, you may want to consider having someone else who has the proper equipment and paint, do it for you.

If you think you may see yourself painting more guitars in the future, I'd suggest investing in an air compressor, a couple spray guns and a good respirator.

... and stay away from that crap in a can stuff. :D

Edited by Dino