i dont think walkman speakers will do anything

but sizzle and a 2" will likely not sound to happy either

not trying to burst your bubble but other than doing this for

a first step in electronics i dont think youll gain much

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh I mentioned that the tube amp is going to be a later project.

And the speakers are FOR the walkman like a portable set of speakers that runs on a 9volt.

The mini amp is an experiment. If it works and sounds fine it's staying as parts of my electric guitar electronics stuff.

But I need to research building tube amps and all that fun stuff and I also need to find a new person to wire the stuff together

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

If you print the picture out at 300dpi it should come out the right size. I believe thats still generally the standard, right?

If its a PDF, it should print out the right size regardless.

Do be careful about "finding people to wire it up" for you. Even the simplest of circuits (i.e. the Ruby amp) can take awhile to troubleshoot and get correct. You will soon wish you had just experimented and tried to build the circuit yourself, as you will feel less guilty for taking up the other person's time.

stf-electronics

I ordered a tube amp kit (champ) from these guys last year. It had fairly detailed instructions and safety advice and once i had installed some vintage mullard valves (valves because they are english :D ) it really sung. I dont think the price was too bad compared to the other kits i have seen.

http://runoffgroove.com/ruby-pcb.pdf

The one(s) I'm talking about are on the second page. I thing those are WAY too small to be normal size

Those are the right size. But you DON'T have to layout a printed circuit board for this project! Just go to RadioShack and get either a breadboard-style circuit board or a universal PCB and lay it out point-to-point.

Thanks for that Ruby link. I'll be building that tonight! biggrin.gif

And if you ever get bored of it you could always convert it for use in a sustainer project :D

I didn't get a chance to pick up the components last night but plan on doing it tonight. From the looks of it, this would be about the size of an older preamp, am I right about that? And to recap on the basic concept of a sustainer, the idea is to create a field (be it magnetic or otherwise) that keeps a string in motion, in motion. Is that basically correct? I don't know if I like the idea of having a huge cavity in my guitar, but I definitely like the idea of a sustainer.

"quick fix for the ruby amp.. jst crack open any basic cassette walkman type thing and cut off where the player head is at. and wire in a jack use the vol knob for output vol and use the trimmer for gain.. its already wired up andmost have three eight six equivelent with jfet or tranyy buffers i them. total parts cost. under five bucks" (Quoted from ansil) OK two questions: 1) what is the player head and 2) what's the trimmer?

I didn't get a chance to pick up the components last night but plan on doing it tonight. From the looks of it, this would be about the size of an older preamp, am I right about that? And to recap on the basic concept of a sustainer, the idea is to create a field (be it magnetic or otherwise) that keeps a string in motion, in motion. Is that basically correct? I don't know if I like the idea of having a huge cavity in my guitar, but I definitely like the idea of a sustainer.

Sorry; I missed your post. (I'm assuming it was addressed to me since I was quoted)

for all things sustainer related, check the 90+ page thread.

I'm not the forum's resident expert on it by any means, but I can tell you that you are pretty much correct in your understanding of the basic way that the sustainer works.

As for the huge cavity... check out the photos of primal's newly built sustainer- he manages to fit it in the LP switch cavity.

1) what is the player head and 2) what's the trimmer?

And since this is your thread Luke- and I dont want this post to be a complete waste of your time;

1) I think that the player head is the part of the cassete player that reads the magnetic tape- not *completely* sure of that though...

2) In that context it sounds like ansil is refering to a trim pot (one of the little variable resistors that you adjust with a screwdriver), again, I cant say that with 100% certainty though.

hope thats of some help...

Ummm hello? Can anybody answer my question???

And also in another topic I saw the resistors are 1/4w. Radioshack.com has only one of the 3 on their website in 1/4w and the other 2 are 1/2w should I use the 2 1/2w resistors with a 1/4w?

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

And also in another topic I saw the resistors are 1/4w. Radioshack.com has only one of the 3 on their website in 1/4w and the other 2 are 1/2w should I use the 2 1/2w resistors with a 1/4w?

Are you basically asking if you can substitute a couple of the 1/4W resistors for 1/2W ones?

I'm pretty sure that if 1/4W resistors work in the circuit then 1/2W ones will too, so yes, I'd guess you should be fine.

Could I and/or should I use the wood box the speaker I'm using originally came in as an amp case/chassis????

I very much doubt the ruby amp will get hot enough for it to pose a fire hazard, but the lack of shielding will still be an issue -I.e. you may get some background noise if you dont find some other way to shield it.

So basically, my guess would be yes, it should be ok.

I'm by no means an expert on this topic, I just thought I'd offer my opinion since nobody else has.

can somebody add a SPSP switch to this diagram? http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

this is what I'm using

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

And how can I test LEDs to see if they work???? And if I wanted to add a red LED to the amp how would I go about doing this?

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

can somebody add a SPSP switch to this diagram? http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

this is what I'm using

And how can I test LEDs to see if they work???? And if I wanted to add a red LED to the amp how would I go about doing this?

Depends on the rating, I guess, but you just need positive and negative voltage, so a double AA or 9v should work, right?

GBT

this is what I'm using

Luke,

May I suggest that you check out these basic tutorials.

http://www.iguanalabs.com/maintut.htm

They will help you understand some of the questions you are asking. There is even one on LEDs.

Hope you find this usefull.

Mike