I'm Building An Amp

PunkRockerLuke

can somebody add a SPSP switch to this diagram? http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

this is what I'm using

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

And how can I test LEDs to see if they work???? And if I wanted to add a red LED to the amp how would I go about doing this?

Luke,

May I suggest that you check out these basic tutorials.

http://www.iguanalabs.com/maintut.htm

They will help you understand some of the questions you are asking. There is even one on LEDs.

Hope you find this usefull.

Mike

there is nothing there about adding an on/off SPST switch to a diagram. but thanks for link it did answer my LED question.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell from the pic, thats just an ordinaty LED with a little plastic enclosure round it, so yes.

It just looks pretty much identical, execpt it has wires in the place of the legs on normal LED.

Make sure you find out all of the specs on the LED first. If you are set on using a SPST switch, you will have to run the LED in series with the switch, which means it is being fed full voltage. So you will have to make sure there is not too much voltage or amperage in the circuit to fry out the LED. And if you add resistors to cut the amperage, you will lose power through the rest of the amp. If the amp and the LED need two different voltages or currents, you will need to provide a seperate power supply (like a watch type battery) and either a second swith or a DP switch.

An LED is probably not going to take enough amperage from the circuit to affect performance. Just run the LED in parallel with the switch with a 1k ohm resistor in series with the LED to bring down the supply voltage to the LED's operating voltage.

I wasn't refering as much to LED affecting the circuit, as I was to there being too much power flowing through the LED and frying it out. For some reason I forgot about wiring it parallel with a resistor. I was just working with an LED project that I did exactly that. I guess that's what I get for trying to think on Monday morning. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The DOD line of pedals all use the same knob. The digitech pedal knobs are cool too.

• 4 weeks later...

well schools started and moneys even shorter than ever so I have to either see if the high schools electrical classes teachers will let me borrow some of their parts and some perfboard or ditch it. And does anybody know where the hell I can get DoD supra distortion knobs with the gray tops???????????

Or should I switch to the little gem????

I've still got the same parts but I have 2 5mm LEDs (will trade other 1 for 3mm greeen/red LED in housing. red on top green on bottom) (or will trade for single 3mm green LED)

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/gg...tle_gem_pcb.pdf

is that how big the PCB actually is?????????? If it is who designed it a smurf???????

Have patience, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. As far as where to get DOD distortion pedal knobs... how about from a DOD distortion pedal? Maybe find one that doesn't work and scavenge parts from it? Or just contact the company directly and ask if they can spare a few knobs. And yes, I guess thats how big the PCB actually is, 2cm X 4 cm.

Ya gotta do a bit more research for your project dude and quit relying on the people here for ALL of your needs. This forum is primarily for guitar building, but your approach is scaring away all the guys who might be able to really help you out. Sorry for sounding a bit critical but there ARE other forums that specialize in electronics, amp building etc. etc.

one last question (I may be able to get all the parts I need for the little gem today) for the little gem on another site I saw in their parts list it uses a 25ohm rheastat. Could I use the radioshack 25ohm 3 watt rheostat or coul I use the 10k ohm linear taper pot used in the ruby amp for the volume control as the volume control in the little gem??????? please reply as soon as humanly possible