Fender Black Dove P-90's

WezV

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought these thru acme....and just so you know...the windings of both pickups are lopsided and the top flatworks are flared upward :D ...there is signal with both p/ups, but the neck p/up is 9.27K ohms and the bridge is 8.88K ohms...not the best effort by Fender...but YMMV

I recieved mine the other day as well, the bridge on mine was about 8.5K and the neck was 9.2K so similar to yours. I will probably end up swapping these around when i install them so the neck is the the bridge position, then i can call it a calibrated set B) I guess fender may have done it on purpose for there factory guitars (different models, different spec pickups or something) but just shoved all the black doves in the same box (that says 9.2K) for sale

I was surprised by the construction. They are built like a p-90 but the bobbin is shorter so doesnt fill the plastic cover :D They are made from the proper stuff, the bobbins are black fibreboard which is also slightly distorted on mine but i think thast because of the wax potting process. The coil wire is darker than most modern pickups so i dont think they are using poly coated wire, looks the same colour as the bare knuckle single coils i have just recieved. The lead wires from the bobbin to the eyelets are very precariously placed so the pickups need carefull handling, not the best design but it should work ok once they are installed. The winding is also not the neatest but when you have pickup makers spouting things like 'scatterwound' i dont really worry about that. The magnets definatly look like alnico rather than ceramic

I havn't tried the pickups out in a guitar yet. I dont see any reason why they would be a bad pickup for $35, bare in mind the price of the guitars fender puts the black doves into. There are definatly some quality control issues, thats pretty much what i expect from fender. The fibre board the pickups are made from is notorious for warping when wax potted and is quite easy to control with a couple of bits of wood and an elastic band so there isnt really an excuse for that. They could also warp if they were wound to tight

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the Doves against P90 covers that I had lying around. The Doves were just off-sized to these covers; the covers that came with the Doves fit fine. Now it's a matter of installation with a suitable test subject ! :D:D

Hello!

I recently purchased one of these pickups as well/

I am a bit disapointed in it. I am wondering if something is wrong actually. It is in the bridge position and just doesn't have alot of bass or output??

I am wondering if perhaps it could be defective?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I checked the Doves against P90 covers that I had lying around. The Doves were just off-sized to these covers; the covers that came with the Doves fit fine. Now it's a matter of installation with a suitable test subject ! :D:D

Hello!

I recently purchased one of these pickups as well/

I am a bit disapointed in it. I am wondering if something is wrong actually. It is in the bridge position and just doesn't have alot of bass or output??

I am wondering if perhaps it could be defective?

I have a Stratosonic with BD's and the bridge measures 9.8 ohms while the neck is not as hot at 8.9 though I wish it were even less because in that location it's very warm, almost dark but with some sparke. The bridge is very bright, though not nearly as bright as a strat type pickup. The 2 together sound fantastic to me. That being said, I would not want the bridge PU to be any hotter because usually that means more mids and less highs and lows. Since "hotter" or higher ohm readings don't necessarily mean better tone, just a stronger signal and possibly less frequency range to work with. I would check your ohms just to see if you got a neck or bridge, but in either case, if your guitar only has the one PU, I recommend addressing the "thinness" you're observing with EQ on your amp or maybe even the tone knob. I believe both BD's to be plenty "hot" to function as a good bridge PU in almost any guitar. Other respected P90 PU's are typically not as hot as these (they are really more in the humbucking ohm range) and way more than typical single coils like strat and lipstick types for example.

Speaking of EQ, MXR now makes a version of their 6 band EQ pedal, now with a foot switch and true bypass, and so I'm considering getting one. (The 10 band is simply way too much control for my needs.) Has anybody tried one of these yet?