To All The Guitar Builders, Take A Read Please!

NickCormier

Hello everyone. I have been trying to make a custom guitar since January, planning it out and figuring out what I want. I have basically designed it all already, and have the money to do it now (assuming I sell these 2 guitars I have)

Now unfortunately, Im not the best builder, and I would attempt making my own guitar, and probably will play around with it this summer, but for this guitar, I want it to be done by someone who actually knows what they are doing, and can make good guitars. Which isnt me. I have talked to about 10 people so far about it, and some I have an issue with pricing, others I just dont have too much contact with (they reply like once a month; not good communication is risky) or they simply dont feel like doing this style of work.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me building my guitar, I have every detail down exact, and I also have ALMOST all the parts (just missing the trem, and fretboard with my special inlays) so it would be purely wood/labor fees for the project. I have every hardware piece down to the straplocks, the only thing I dont have is wires connecting the pickup to the knob and jacks, but I have the pickup, knob, pot, jack, everything else.

I will introduce you to my design. It is basically a Jackson Rhoads style guitar, with a 1/8th" Quilted maple veneer on top, Stained Blue. Maple Neckthrough, with Alder body-wings. Reverse Jackson headstock with matching veneer, Maple fretboard with my custom inlays (Ibanez Tree of life with 1st fret modify) and 24frets, 25.5" scale. A Dimarzio x2n pickup, One volume knob, Control cavity big enough for battery (incase I wanna switch the pickup in the future) Fender-style jack on the upper-wing. Ibanez Edge pro bridge (if I can find one used) with locking nut on neck. Neck profile similar to that of a Wizard neck in terms of thickness (ibanez)

Here is a picture from the JCF generator of my dream guitar

NickRRvine.jpg

The inlays, can be seen in details here

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i139/Nic...r/Vineboard.jpg

If someone can even do the inlay work, that would be Great! The Ibanez Vine inlays can be bought off ebay for like $50, its just the first fret needs to be modified (and with filling, dont think it'll look good, so might have to cut off the first fret that way.)

So, if Anyone can help me with this, It would be very apprieciated. thegarehanman told me the average labor cost shouldnt be over like $300 for a body, so add the wood (shouldnt be too much, $100 or so?) finish ($100 or so) and if I dont supply the fretboard, and have that made.. That is around the area I am looking to pay.

If you can help me, or know someone who can, PM me! Thanks so much guys

For one, a "veneer" is WAY thinner. 1/8" is still an actual wood cap. A thin one, but still an actual wood cap. And with quilted maple, a good quilt, a 1/8" cap is still not going to be cheap. Alder will be above $50 for sure. That quilt will probably get those two pieces together up to $100. The maple for the neck will add on some pretty pennies to said amount. And also keep in mind Garehan said $300 labor for the BODY. What are you gunna do with JUST the body? You're gunna pay labor for the neck too. And in my opinion that should be MORE labour cost than the body! So just the body you have a good $150 of wood (excluding the fretboard that you'd buy), then $20 for that red inlay material since your vine will just be the blue, $25 truss rod (or whatever they cost now), $300 body labor, I'm gunna ASSUME the same for the neck... which will actually be more. So even if you send all the parts, you're still looking at 300+300+150+20+25= $795 unfinished. Let's assume someone will finish it for you for the $100 you quoted above... now you're at almost $900, plus whatever you paid for the parts you already have and are going to send.

Look, there's no way around it... this guitar is gunna cost you a buttload.

Chris

I'll get it built, for 1/4th the cost you guys posted, Then ill just post pics and sound clips and rub it in your face mad.gif jerks lol

Great!

best of luck to you- do you mean you are getting someone else to build it, or you are building it yourself?

(I'm presuming that the 'jerks' comment was tongue-in-cheek :D )

Some people are willing to accept less than what is perfect to achieve instant, yet short-term, happiness.

Some people are willing to work harder than anyone needs to in order to achieve eventual yet long-term happiness.

I hope whatever gets built meets your standards of quality and craftsmanship. If the only thing you're measuring against is the Jackson Custom Shop, I'm sure you'll do well...