A Les Paul Supreme Style For My Son

It is indeed a very good cover. Nice job cutting that precisely.

Question: How do real Supreme's do it? How are the electronics installed, and more importantly, if something like the switch or a pot fails, how are they repaired?

This, in my opinion, is a much better solution.

On the real Supreme, the body is chambered, and the standard wiring channel from lower bout to switch position is nice and wide. Then it's a case of installing the electronics like an ES335, and using long wires so you can solder connections outside of the body.

See here for more info

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is indeed a very good cover. Nice job cutting that precisely.

Question: How do real Supreme's do it? How are the electronics installed, and more importantly, if something like the switch or a pot fails, how are they repaired?

This, in my opinion, is a much better solution.

It works like a real hollow body. You use string and pull everything through the pickup holes. It's not easy (trust me) but it can be done.

Thanks guys.

Matttheguy, someone asked me earlier about how a Gibson LP Supreme works for electronics access. I can't say unfortunately. I've never seen a real one before.

I didn't get as far as I wanted today but did make some progress. I finished scraping all the binding and cleaned up some of the edges. The brown on the top had to be thicker to cover up the bare spots. I ended up with a couple of small areas where I needed to touch up. I used an airbrush with my brown toner and it came out great. This was my first time to ever use an airbrush. I tried on another project months ago but the airbrush was really cheap and never worked with lacquer. So I bought a decent one way back, and it was here when I needed it. I practiced a bit then used it. After that, and with all the rain again today, I didn't make much progress on building up clear coats. If the weather behaves, maybe I'll get a few on each night when I come home. Otherwise, its next weekend.

Here is a full front shot after scraping and touchup and removing the masking from the fretboard.

th_finish9.jpg

Absolutly stunning!!!! :D:DB):D

I am truly amazed at how you have managed to save this guitar and end up with something that is probably nicer than you intended at the start. I just hope those sand thru patches dont become visable again in the future B)

Love the burst, the guiatr looks very classy

I just hope those sand thru patches dont become visable again in the future

I was trying, but not succeeding, to avoid thinking about that. :D

That fear is why I took several steps that I hope will work. After I filled the pores on the sandthroughs, I applied some thinned lacquer that included white pigment and amber dye. The color was approximately the same as the amber/yellow dye I applied to the maple but had a little more body due to the pigment and was more opaque. It didn't actually stay on much because I had to sand it lightly to blend in to the touch, but it did make the mahogany just slightly more amber. I applied two coats of vinly sealer to lock all that in, then sprayed on two coats of transparent amber toner over the whole top including the sandthroughs. That made the color more consistent and minimized the color contrast before I applied the brown shader. I had to apply the brown shader pretty heavily but the offending areas appear to be very well covered now. I can't see any evidence of the sandthroughs and I've really looked. I'm going to seal them in under the clear coats and hope for the best.

After all, when I give it to my son, its his... :D

Looking awesome!

Hydro, thanks!

I used the Behlen line - vinyl sealer, retarder (because its so humid here), thinner and gloss nitro.

I know what you mean about the first finish. This is my second nitro finish, or any other finish for that matter. My suggestion is to practice some to get used to your gun, then go for it.

Good luck. :D

I made a little more progress this weekend. I completed spraying my clear coats on Saturday. Sunday, I level sanded the entire guitar - fortunately no incidents sanding through the clear into the color. This evening, I sprayed two flash coats of very diluted nitro. This flowed out the sanding scratches nicely and left a bit of a gloss. No runs or drips or sags. :D

Next Saturday, I'll wet sand the finish then put it up to dry out for a month or so. After that, its polishing time.

I won't mind the wait because Sunday I leave for an overseas trip. I have several coming up. I'll be out of the country for 4 of the next 6 weeks on 3 separate trips. Jet lag, here I come.

Thanks for all your support. I'll report out when its polished up and the hardware and electronics are installed.

I just found out today that my son and his wife's baby is going to be a girl. :D Unless I really mess up, the guitar will be ready before the baby.

th_finish10.jpg A little shine after the flash coat

Thanks fellas.

Drak - that's cool. :D

I'm leaving this afternoon for Spain via London. We have a project there and I'm flying into Gibraltar and staying on the Costa del Sol. It's work, I swear. :D

The guitar will continue to cure while I'm gone. I'll give it the smell test when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

EddieWarlock, you were right, the weather in Southern Spain was perfect. Each day better than the next. Flew into Gibraltar but flew out of Malaga (both connections to Houston through London). Our work site is in Algeciras but we stayed in Sotogrande (very nice). Had a day trip to Cadiz, but that was business and only got to another construction site. Had lots of fine Spanish food and wine (including Jamon Iberico and Fino :D .)

Leaving Sunday for a week in Singapore. Know a great Indian restaurant there, and believe it or not, a superb Italian restaurant.

Oh yeah, the LP is doing fine. The finish is curing nicely. Here is a pic of youngest son holding the soon to be (I hope) guitar. Its for his oldest brother. The finish is still the flash coat of nitro after level sanding. It hasn't yet been wet sanded and polished. Soon........

th_finish11.jpg

Nice Job John

My guess is that the sandthrough has changed the plan a bit resulting in a wider than planed burst. As constructive criticism , to me the burst pattern is not quite tear drop something I would not have noticed except I have attempted a couple myself. Still its reminiscent of pre 60's Gibson bursts which I think look cooler than a standard perimeter burst. Look forward to seeing the guitar strung up.

Congrats. :D

Our work site is in Algeciras but we stayed in Sotogrande (very nice). Had a day trip to Cadiz, but that was business and only got to another construction site. Had lots of fine Spanish food and wine (including Jamon Iberico and Fino :D .)

Sounds like a terrible job to have. :D I love that area, my wife lived in El Puerto de Santa Maria in the mid-70s and we've been back several times. Sadly, the town has grown rapidly in recent years and lost some of its charm. Still, nothing like tapas hopping at the waterfront bars and cafes. :D

The LP is looking sweet. B)