A Les Paul Supreme Style For My Son

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a hiatus over the holidays, I finally returned to the LP to finish it up. I touched up a few finish imperfections, fitted, trimmed and slotted the bone nut and went through a setup procedure. The truss rod adjustments were minimal but it worked smoothly and well. For me as a non-player, I set it up basically to a Gibson factory spec but the action is slightly lower. When I take it to my son in a few weeks, he can tell me how it feels to him and we can go from there. Hopefully, I won't screw up any last minor adjustments such as blowing the nut or something.

Here are a few pics. We finally had a nice sunny day in Houston. Hopefully, you can see the true color of the dark edge of the burst a bit better. It looks black in a lot of photos but really is a dark brown. All the hardware is gold as is the fret wire.

th_final2.jpg Front body shot outside

th_final3.jpg Back body shot outside

th_final4.jpg Front close up inside

th_final6.jpg Hardware close up inside

th_final9.jpg Carve and hardware

I hope you like it.

I'm happy to have this one finished. I've already have the wood and ordered the parts for the guitar for my third and youngest son. He's patiently waited while his older two brothers got theirs. He wants a PRS style, single cut but in a 7 string. According to PRS, they don't make a 7 string singlecut. So, once I make some progress on that one, I'll show you all.

Thanks.

Edited by johnsilver

• 1 month later...

Last weekend we went to visit my son and his wife. I delivered the completed LP to him then. It was really great for me to hear the guitar I made come alive in his hands.

Here is a pic of the guitar as it was intended to be.

th_final12.jpg

My son's rig is a Line 6 Flextone II head into a Sunn quad cabinet. He got some great sounds from that with the Paul. Some really good rock tones. He tried to dial in a Slash-like tone, felt he got close. In any event, it was fun.

I forgot to get a strap for him so we went to a local music shop to get one. What I found out is that if you pay enough for a strap, they throw in a used Fender Blues Junior amp for free. :D

While we were in the music shop, a guy brought in the Blues Junior to trade. It was immaculate. As an older model, it had a Fender USA Celestion speaker. My son plugged in a Strat and gave it a test drive. Sounded good. Reverb didn't work so the dealer changed out the reverb pan and it worked great. We negotiated and got a good deal I think.

The little Blues Junior will give a nice change to his current rig. I don't know much about them but it seemed to have a nice tone to play around with. Sounded good with the Paul, and really good with his old Tele.

OK. Now to get started on with the PRS SC 7 for my youngest son. I have all the wood and the parts except the pups. Ready to get started with laying out the design. But first, off to the garage to build a thicknessing jig for use with my router.

• 2 months later...

Looks like I'm starting to get quite an extended family. :D

Thanks guys.

My youngest son is starting to get anxious for me to get going on his guitar, which will be a PRS-ish single cut 7 string. I have everything I need and the body blank is glued up. But I decided to invest the time to make some jigs so it delayed progress on the actual axe. Maybe I'll work on the jigs this weekend. I'm getting the itch to make some sawdust...