Best tool for carving tops?

I've tried the disc sander method on my first guitar and I think it worked great. Only thing I didn't do was the route on the edges, instead I masked off a line with tape at the depth I wanted. Next time I'll do the route though, it will be more accurate. One the top I just drew on the body where I wanted to keep flat and where to start the carve. Worked great, took about 2 hours with prep time and me eye-balling the edges to keep em strainght. To smooth out a few of the deep slashes the sander put in I found some 36 grit paper at the local hardware store and they came out of an ash body fairly easy. Next one will take half the time and be twice as good. I'll post pics when I get a chance. :D

Word of warning - if you are going to try this, don't be like the guys in the pics above:

WEAR AN AIR FED MASK OR CHARCOAL FILTER!!!

The life you save may be your lungs :D

one of them has a big duct right next to him and the other is probably in a well ventilated area with an air filter, or you just can't see the vac mounted on his bench

good tip though, but it should be a given for most of us on here

• 2 weeks later...

There is a way to make exact duplicate tops without a CNC router. David Thomas Mcnaught uses a devise. It is a router duplicater. He has his master top on one side of a table and the , to be top on the other side. One side has a router mounted to this bar and the other side has a metal pin that is parallel to the router bit tip. He trace the top of the master top while the router it running and it cuts the to be guitar top. After that it is some rough sanding and then final sanding. He makes his necks the same way.