Fret Tang Nipper

Phil Mailloux

Is it me or is this the same exact tool that Stewmac sells as the fret tang nipper?

It looks like there's no modifications whatsoever and a lot cheaper too. Can anyone that has the stewmac one comment on the looks of the Klein one? is there anything different to it?

Can someone also comment on what makes the difference between the medium and large fret models?

the stewmac one has a "half crown" ground into it to suit small/med or med/large fret wire. Other than that its identical. It would be near impossible to grind this at home (with enough precious to make it work... PROPERLY), unless you have some decent milling machines.

Is it me or is this the same exact tool that Stewmac sells as the fret tang nipper?

It looks like there's no modifications whatsoever and a lot cheaper too. Can anyone that has the stewmac one comment on the looks of the Klein one? is there anything different to it?

Can someone also comment on what makes the difference between the medium and large fret models?

Robert May and I have discussed this a long time ago, when I found out that the Stew Mac one I had was a Klien tool, except they use heat shrink over the handles to either cover up the Klien logo, or for better grip... lol

I'll let you decide.. :D...

Although if you don't have an effective way to slot it like Perry mentioned, you'd be better off buying the Stew Mac one anyway... but regardless.. yes, Phil, it's exactly the same one...

I also ground my own, and I know they work every bit as well as the Stewy ones.

I guess it takes a special kind of guy to have the eye-hand coordination to do such a thing, but I have to admit, that Dremel cutter often scares the hell out of me, when it suddenly grabs on the edge of what you're cutting and you lose control for a second.

Another plus, if you buy from a place like linked above, is that they also sell extra blades for them.

Thanks very much guys, I was looking at this for quite some time now. Time to experiment a bit now :D

This came up in another post recently: I bought these tang nippers --it would have cost me more to buy the nippers and modify them (assuming I would have been able to modify them). They work.

Great price.

Edited by Godin SD

Make yourselves all a favor, if you own a dremel with a cut-off wheel.

Here's my clickable thumbnail tutorial :D

I went and bought a sheet metal nibbler for $17AUD at Dick Smiths, that's Australia's version of Radio Shack. I'm sure you'll all find one locally for peanuts.

th_nippers001.jpg

That speaks for itself, I clamped the nibbler and used the cut-off wheel on it. That was a 30 second mod, I'm serious! The cut-off wheel cut through this metal like butter.

th_nippers002.jpg

You can see the groove I made here

th_nippers005.jpg

Cutting some fret material

th_nippers006.jpg

The end result, sorry about the bad quality picture. :D

th_nippers012.jpg

Cool :D

You'll find it next to the PCB and soldering stuff.

Make sure you hold your dremel with two hands to control it properly and make small lines as you go slowly deeper. You have to be careful because that cut-off wheel will make a mess of the surounding metal if you slip up.

You also have to make sure that the groove is as close as possible to the mouth so you don't cut the tang too short. Check it out first with a bit of fretwire before you start cutting the groove.

Cool :D

You'll find it next to the PCB and soldering stuff.

Make sure you hold your dremel with two hands to control it properly and make small lines as you go slowly deeper. You have to be careful because that cut-off wheel will make a mess of the surounding metal if you slip up.

You also have to make sure that the groove is as close as possible to the mouth so you don't cut the tang too short. Check it out first with a bit of fretwire before you start cutting the groove.

Thanks for the xtra info B)

dayvo :D

Yes, great tutorial --I'd been wondering how to get that done before I bought one.

Here in France, the cheapest nibblers I was able to find (in the store, I didn't actually look online) would have cost me $23...and then I'd still have to do the mod. I'll keep looking for a cheaper set --can't hurt to have a backup.