Exotic Woods For Sale, Tops, Fretboards, And Laminate Necks

SoundAt11

Hi all,

This week I've added several new types of wood to my Ebay listings:

Bloodwood, Padouk, Zebrawood, Canarywood, and Granadillo Rosewood. Next week, I'll be adding Wenge and Cocobolo.

Also, I've begin selling Fretboard blanks that I've cut from the exotic woods. The Bloodwood and Granadillo are especially nice, both are very smooth feeling and the Granadillo has a deep resonant tap tone, the Bloodwood is more bright and percussive. The Bloodwood is (of course) quite red and is fast feeling; I hope to make some bookmatched tops out of it soon. Next week I will be adding Wenge and Cocobolo fretboard blanks, as well as Canarywood and Padouk fretboard blanks. The Canarywood is silky smooth and extremely colorful in the sunlight (indoor photos don't really capture its beauty).

Last week I added some 2-pc Mahogany neck blanks, each bookmatched with vertical grain (quartersawn) and they're really cool looking.

Hide Glue is back and more is on the way.

As always, I've still got plenty of 1-pc and 2-pc Mahogany body blanks for sale (or to list), as well as Korina (Limba) neck and body wood (keep an eye out for bookmatched Limba tops very soon).

http://www.soundat11.com to get to my Ebay Store

Bloodwood fretboard - SOLD!!

eBay user ID: user_id_and_password

Cheers muchly!! Do you also have any bloodwood for use in making thin laminates in bass necks? I'm building a five-string neck-through which has a tenon size of 46" length and require 2-1/2" to 3" depth, tapering the stripe thickness from 2/16" to 1/16" head to foot.

Bloodwood fretboard - SOLD!!

eBay user ID: user_id_and_password

Cheers muchly!! Do you also have any bloodwood for use in making thin laminates in bass necks? I'm building a five-string neck-through which has a tenon size of 46" length and require 2-1/2" to 3" depth, tapering the stripe thickness from 2/16" to 1/16" head to foot.

I was going to buy that piece for a friends project. Send pics of how the wood turns out, it looked great.

Any update on those laminates yet Will?

email sent.

I've got some more neat pieces for sale now, Cocobolo tops, Bloodwood strips, Zebrawood fretboard blanks, and added Black Walnut body blank (more coming Friday), and some more Mahogany body blanks. Should have some Wenge and more laminate necks listed Friday evening.

Any update on those laminates yet Will?

email sent.

I've got some more neat pieces for sale now, Cocobolo tops, Bloodwood strips, Zebrawood fretboard blanks, and added Black Walnut body blank (more coming Friday), and some more Mahogany body blanks. Should have some Wenge and more laminate necks listed Friday evening.

That's a pretty cool Cocobolo top, very straight grain. I'll pass on the Bloodwood for the time being, I have a decent selection of that around here. My friend decided to postpone the project, so I wont be needing it anyways.

However, I have no selection of thick Korina, black or white. If you happen to come across any wide Black korina body blanks (13") I'd be very interested. Same with Zebrawood, if you get any straight grain tops (5/16"+) I'd also be very interested.

How come you just don't sell the wood through here instead of sending us to ebay? Wouldn't it be easier for you and us? I'd rather set up an order for a size i want than a size i'd just have to deal with. I hate going to Ebay and finding just about every piece i want is not thick enough or long enough, y'know? No disrespect by the way.

How come you just don't sell the wood through here instead of sending us to ebay? Wouldn't it be easier for you and us? I'd rather set up an order for a size i want than a size i'd just have to deal with. I hate going to Ebay and finding just about every piece i want is not thick enough or long enough, y'know? No disrespect by the way.

I do sell direct, plenty of forum users PM me or email me and we deal that way. It is cheaper for everyone than listing on ebay, since we don't have to deal with Ebay's fees, but is often more time consuming (email exchanges+selecting wood, measuring, cutting, planing, etc). Ebay has a lot more potential customers, their accounting tools are also very handy, and it's always faster and easier for me to cut standard sizes out of my available lumber and list them rather than some of the really involved custom requests (I spent an hour this morning on $20 worth of Bloodwood laminates when I should have been cutting up several hundred dollars worth of Mahogany or Walnut).

...and that is appreciated much more than the several hundred dollars worth of body blanks ;-)

Sorry to be grouchy about your order on a public forum; I'm was a bit upset at myself yesterday:-)

I'm a "yes" man and time management isn't one of my strong points. It'd be easier if I simply cut out excess strips on a non-busy day to have on hand for requests; this week has been super busy.

As a bonus, I managed to get a 3rd Bloodwood strip out of that piece of wood, so I'm coming up with ideas for some sort of laminate neck with the red strip in the middle. I'm imagining a 47" bass neck-thru with a center Bloodwood strip, Canarywood strips on either side, then Walnut next to that, then more Canarywood.

I'll make it up to you in future business and the reassurance that this bass (and your bass too) is/are going to be special ;-)

I think as far as time management goes, you can't just suddenly manage it - you see where time has been lost and work around it in future. I'm still kicking myself for there only being 24 hours in the day.

I'm sorely tempted to buy those two bloodwood laminates you've listed, but I think my work depleting the world's stocks of bloodwood are done for this week. Somebody else will most probably get better use out of them whilst I work on this bass.

I hope the guys that order from you recognize how much of your time filling a "special order" takes, and just how little money is made to cover your time and tool expense. The fact that you are willing to do this provides a great resource for board members, but hopefully they will respect your time. Now that you are expanding your selection. It will be even harder to keep up, and special requests on premium exotics can be extreamly costly (keep that in mind).

Just don't let it overload you (I know from experience it will happen).

Guys- If you ask for a special cut, strip, service or what have you. REMEMBER- That costs labor, tool overhead (sandpaper, blades and such), and may create extra waste material. Markup is not high on most basic domestic and exotic wood, so that added expense can not be "absorbed" easily(90% of the time he will make nothing or so little it won't even make for a silly wage) . Keep it in mind when you ask for "special requests". There is a reason why larger (LMI, Stew, and others) either don't offer or charge so much for these things). If you support sounds efforts. Hopefully he will be able to keep offering more variety and those pieces others don't offer.

Peace,Rich

I see you accept paypal only on Ebay, is that the same with special orders through here? Due to my dislike and distrust for paypal, I'd rather pay with money orders. Are you cool with them?

Guys- If you ask for a special cut, strip, service or what have you. REMEMBER- That costs labor, tool overhead (sandpaper, blades and such), and may create extra waste material. Markup is not high on most basic domestic and exotic wood, so that added expense can not be "absorbed" easily(90% of the time he will make nothing or so little it won't even make for a silly wage) . Keep it in mind when you ask for "special requests". There is a reason why larger (LMI, Stew, and others) either don't offer or charge so much for these things). If you support sounds efforts. Hopefully he will be able to keep offering more variety and those pieces others don't offer.

Peace,Rich

I'll second that. Any blank I put up in my store has had 2-3 hours of work put into it for the cuts and sanding. You can imagine how time consuming special work is.

As a seller, I really like PayPal due to how quickly people pay and how few non-paying bidders I have (when I accepted money orders on Ebay purchases, it generally takes 2 weeks before buyers pay and only about 50% of them actually do pay vs. 95%+ of paying PayPal bidders). But on purchases outside of ebay, especially custom orders, money orders are fine, since I can wait and cut the pieces after the money arrives.

PayPal's fees stink (approx 5% cut on every payment, plus Ebay takes at least 10%). Where that really hurts is when you've got an overseas buyer buying $100 worth of product and paying $100 worth of shipping costs. PayPal takes $10 off the top and Ebay gets you for another $20, so you've just lost $30 off of $100 worth of merchandise :-(

I'll be glad when the summer is over, because there's really only 2-3 hours of usable working time in the mornings before it becomes too hot to work outside, so if you factor in 1 hour to do something, plus set up/ take down of equipment, finding boards, measuring, etc, that time goes by quickly. So winter time is a lot better time to spend the day outside cutting wood and a lot easier to allow some time for custom requests.

Pro, I was hoping you'd grab those Bloodwood lams, they're pretty. I did get your package in the mail (very long and skinny), but it's reinforced, I made sure to test it until it wouldn't bend).

I'll be glad when the summer is over, because there's really only 2-3 hours of usable working time in the mornings before it becomes too hot to work outside, so if you factor in 1 hour to do something, plus set up/ take down of equipment, finding boards, measuring, etc, that time goes by quickly. So winter time is a lot better time to spend the day outside cutting wood and a lot easier to allow some time for custom requests.

I have yet to do woodwork in the winter time, can't wait! Where I live, we just had about 35+ days of 100+ degree weather. It finally rained yesterday. And I have to work in this weather to get my wood cut and sanded. Fun stuff! :D

You have a gorgeous selection of tops, I'll be keeping an eye on them.