"slasher" By Flon Klar Guitars

Hey All-

This is the first model from Flon Klar Guitars, the "Slasher." It's a 35" scale 5-string bass: body and headstock wings are Honduras mahogany; extra-wide 5-piece thru-neck of purpleheart and hard maple with dual truss rods; 26-fret cocobolo fretboard; Gotoh tuners and string-thru-the-body bridge; the perforated nut and all inlays are hand-cut from stainless steel; EMG 40-DC (neck) and 40-J (bridge) with 18VDC BQC System eq, Neutrik locking jack. Hope you like it!

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170838.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170839.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170840.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170842.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170841.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170844.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/166367/20060822/170843.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

Body shape isn't my taste, but I've gotta ask HOW you did that offset maple/purpleheart switch up where the neck meets the body?!

Chris

I have seen luthiers do this by making a seperate body and neck, and doing a set neck style build. Then between the body and neck, they change the woods up and glue it inbetween the neck / body. Pretty crazy looking!

Body shape isn't my taste, but I've gotta ask HOW you did that offset maple/purpleheart switch up where the neck meets the body?!

Chris

I have seen luthiers do this by making a seperate body and neck, and doing a set neck style build. Then between the body and neck, they change the woods up and glue it inbetween the neck / body. Pretty crazy looking!

No, it's a neck-thru design. To do the offset, I simply cut a gouge along the edge of the shoulder, cut and shaped the offset pieces, and glued them into the gouge. Just thought I'd try something different!

what is the shiney thing near the B string tuner on the back of the headstock?

You might want to leave a bit more meat around the handle, looks like it will break.

Watch the tuner spacing (and the rear ferrules), and please... dont wind the strings on the tuners backwards, the gears dont hold as well.

You might want to have a bit more neck width towards the body, strings look real close to the edges.

Is that body inlay a backwards F and a K?? Initials??

I love the neck-body bit with the alternating woods, that worked a treat.

This is your first build right??

what is the shiney thing near the B string tuner on the back of the headstock?

You might want to leave a bit more meat around the handle, looks like it will break.

Watch the tuner spacing (and the rear ferrules), and please... dont wind the strings on the tuners backwards, the gears dont hold as well.

You might want to have a bit more neck width towards the body, strings look real close to the edges.

Is that body inlay a backwards F and a K?? Initials??

I love the neck-body bit with the alternating woods, that worked a treat.

This is your first build right??

1) It's a plug to cover up where I inadvertently sanded down to the dowel.

2) So far, the handle feels fine (crosses fingers).

3) The tuners are spaced badly because I made the mistake of measuring off the arc, which is not a true circle.

4) One ferrule is off because, as it turns out, drilling diagonally is a real bitch!

5) I keep meaning to order 2 left-handed tuners for it...

6) The result of oversanding.

7) Precisely- "Flon Klar."

8) Thanks.

9) Yes, it's my 1st build.

1) It's a plug to cover up where I inadvertently sanded down to the dowel.

4) One ferrule is off because, as it turns out, drilling diagonally is a real bitch!

dont worry about dowels, the glue is strong enough on its own. Dowels are good for locating, but i wouldnt use them for extra strength.

Ahhh, the old diagonal hole dilema, been there, stuffed it up also...

Whens the next one going to be finished :D

I've done the dowel-on-neck-thru-sides thing once two... what a pain. Getting everything lined up was NOT worth the trouble. And like Perry said it's perfectly strong enough with jsut the glue. I mean, if titebond will hold a neck into a pocket under string tension, it'll hold wings onto a neck thru.

Chris

This is one of those guitars... I think it looks freakin' awesome but my puritanical self could never be seen on stage w/ such a thing... I don't think I'm creative enough to live up to it. I love the offset neck joint, put one of those on some lame old bass-shape and I'd be all over it.

:D:D

Who doesn't like that JD bottle?

B) AA? :D

Hey Nitefly, don't sweat it. I appreciate your honesty. At this point, I'm just building 'em for myself and trying to get some 3rd-party opinions on my stuff. I don't expect everyone to like my instruments, no more than I expect everyone to dig the music I play...

Thank you, to some one who appreciates the diversity of tastes. I do like your angel bass though, very creative design.

Okay, Nitefly and Verhoeven...

GROW UP. BOTH OF YOU.

V--you're 20 years old. You haven't even begun to be a man yet, even if you're in college. You wanna pounce on someone, report it to a mod.

N--your comment on the bass and responses to V were rude and immature. I still like you, though. Bogarting a man's thread to rip on his bass and then have a silly forum squabble is very un-couth.

I'm not perfect, and I've stepped on my share of toes around here, but this was just stupid.

Quite right Crafty - you saved me the trouble of typing all that myself! You should both consider yourselves warned - repeats of this kind of nonsense will lead to disciplinary action.

The pointless bickering and reactions to it have all been deleted, apologies if this is makes some posts a bit confusing.

Lets ignore the design for a minute, thats just down to taste.

The craftmanship on this is top notch for a first (or even 10th) attempt. I really like what you have done with the neck laminations, that heel section looks cool and the woods really compliment each other well.

OK, now i have to say something about design, the headstock is completely impractical, i think i would get an injury off it. The tuner issue perry mentioned is something you might not have considered till it was too late, but hey, now you know.

The body design is obviously quite unique, it looks more like a travel guitar to me. I would still change the headstock though i dont think it compliments the body at all.

When you are doing guitars as unique as yours people are going to make strong comments, just like they did when Leo first invented his version of the electric guitar and when gibson released its explorer and flyingV shapes. Some people will love it.

The craftmanship on this is top notch for a first (or even 10th) attempt. I really like what you have done with the neck laminations, that heel section looks cool and the woods really compliment each other well.

ditto that

I like everything about it personally... except the body shape :D, this one just doesnt do it for me.

That said, its still a lot more interesting than yet another les paul clone

ditto that

I like everything about it personally... except the body shape :D, this one just doesnt do it for me.

That said, its still a lot more interesting than yet another les paul clone

And THAT'S the type of reaction I was hoping for!! Thanks Ben!

Thank goodness for something different! Its not that I don't like a nice Les Paul, Strat or Tele project but I can go down to the closest guitar mega store and see 30 examples of each. As far as the actual design its not my taste but that's irrelevant. I like the fact that you're trying something different and it looks like nice work as well.

I did have one question regarding the belly cut. I couldn't tell from the image but is the belly cut a bevel or is it actually dished out like a traditional belly cut?