Cool Router Find

Vinny

Sorry if this is a really long post but I thought the members here could use this info. Ive been trying to decide on which tools to buy for routing out the binding groove on my guitars, what I've read here had convinced me that a dremel is not the answer and that some are happy with the Stewmac/LMI bearing kit. I've set up my existing Ryobi router face-up on a plate to have a router built into my work table. So what I really had in mind was another router that was more powerful than a dremel but lighter and smaller than a standard router. I was in Sears wednesday night and they were out of stock on thier $99 laminate router, so I looked at their rechargeable units. At $59 for the medium sized one (no battery incl) and another $50 for a charger and a battery! I walked out thinking to stop at Home Depot later in the week. Home Crepo had a good selection of laminate trimmers, from the Porter Cable $99 single speed that came with basically only the cardboard box it was in, and a Ryobi which included a huge removable clear base. I'm looking these over while thinking of how Im gonna MAKE a bearing guide that will hang off the side for when Im cutting the binding channel. Thats when I came upon the Rigid, I never gave these tools a look at all. I always considered them some kinda house brand from K-mart. Holy smoke!!! whats this on the box? is that a picture of a bearing guide? and its adjustable? O.K. now, lets a take a look here, says its got more amps that the Porter Cable, its variable speed which the others aren't and comes with a lifetime warrantee on parts and labor. All this and a case for $99 bucks! I picked it up on the spot and raced home to the shop to try it out. I clamped a piece of scrap in the vise for testing. The motor runs smoothly without excess vibrations and spools up nicly as you increase the speed. The guide bearing attachment is solid, well made and showed no signs of flex when I tested it. The guide attachment is fully adjustable for verticle height and left to right offset in 2 spots and it locks in the settings with a thumbwheel. Im really glad I picked up this router cause it seems to be just what I needed. Gotta go online and register the warrantee tonite. -Vinny

rigidcasebd3.jpg

Edited by Vinny

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice router kit! My cheap piece of crap Ryobi just broke. The piece that locks the chuck so you can change bits just disintegrated. Looks like I may have found a replacement.

I had the same problem with my Ryobi - I just bought a little adjustable spanner, so I use two spanners to hold and lock the collet, works fine.

be aware the router in this thread is actually a laminate trimmer, not the standard plunge router you're probably expecting.

• 1 month later...

That's a nice router kit! My cheap piece of crap Ryobi just broke. The piece that locks the chuck so you can change bits just disintegrated. Looks like I may have found a replacement.

Mine is almost in that state, more due to the fact that i leave the locking bar it the chuck then go to use it, but im sure having sh*t loads of turning pressure doesn't help either.

• 1 year later...

Rigid is awsome equipment. They are still made in the USA from all I understand. Or maybe just assembled , Not sure. But they are very good quality and hold an excellant warranty. I have one and is now 5 years old, never once a glitch and I worked the hell out of it in a earlier life. Good deal ya got there I may go pick that up, I need a new motor for my CNC.

• 4 months later...

I just came across this thread. I have that same laminate trimmer too. I use for almost everything. I rarely touch my router anymore.

If I remember right, it cost around $90 to $110 at Home Depot last year. Completely worth it.