sandblaster / paint gun

krazyderek

well i don't have an air compressor, but a local place has air powered sandblasters on sale, i thought it would be a great way to strip guitars and do some cool texturing things on paint pickguards and acrylics.. it's only 35$ CAN (25$ US) it's the bucket, the hose and the gun. They also have a nice looking gravity feed paint gun for 25$CAN (18$) it's made in italy... that's all it says so i was thinking about getting both, i know the paint gun isn't going to be great, but i just want something to bang around and try out see if i like spraying and something i'm not afraid to drop or break.... then waiting to see a good deal on a half descent compressor with a tank or get one (tanks are always on sale)

???? what do you guys think?

I didnt even bother to read after the second line, but....

SANDBLASTERS HAVE NO USE NEAR WOOD, WHEN STRIPPING PAINT.

Wood is softer than paint dude.

We used to use sandblasters to leave a cool effect on timber for signs and trophies. The sand blasts away the bits in between the grain lines (grain lines are harder). It would take 10 seconds, if that, to do the same effect on a guitar.... FRONT AND BACK!!

• 2 weeks later...

Like rhoads 56 said, sandblasters have no place near wood. I've done some cool things with a glass bead machine, but sandblasters will destroy wood faster than you can possibly imagine. Not worth the hassle.

The only thing I can say about buying a cheap spray gun is, 9 times out of 10 cheap equipment is harder to use, and gives poor results, it makes you hate what you're doing. I will never forget when I upgraded my gun, it made painting a task I really enjoy rather than one I hate like I used to.

A good rule of thumb I go by is buy good, buy once, buy cheap, replace often.