Kill Switch Diagrams

That doesn't seem like it would work. A SPST is an on/off switch. So in the on position your output signal would be going to ground and in the off position you would have an open circuit. If you are using a SPST switch you would simply put it inline on your output wire. That way when in the on position the signal flows through and when off, the circuit is open and no signal goes through.

do you want a push pull button or a slider? theres tons of ways to do a off switch, just cut the ground signal.. tap into one side of the switch, then connect the other side to the other lead.

Id use a locking push button.

one push down, off, push again, on..

make sure to see what the circut status(open, closed) is for each one.

oh for goodness sakes.

you only need a SPST switch. (although a SPDT can be used in much the same way). Connect one tag to BOTH the output from the volume pot and the output jack, and the other to ground. That way when the switch is activated the hot output is shorted to ground. Voila! Kill switch.

S

That doesn't seem like it would work. A SPST is an on/off switch. So in the on position your output signal would be going to ground and in the off position you would have an open circuit. If you are using a SPST switch you would simply put it inline on your output wire. That way when in the on position the signal flows through and when off, the circuit is open and no signal goes through.

If you don't ground the "input to the amp", then you will get noise due to an open input. Try hanging a guitar cord out of your amp with no guitar plugged in to load it down. Just opening the circuit instead of grounding it gives you the same effect.

I am having a hard time finding where to purchase a kill switch? Any leads??

Thanks,

A kill switch is just an ordinary switch. nothing special.

As people have said above, you only need a spst, but a spdt, dpdt, or anything else with more than one 'pole' and one 'throw' will work.

Try any electronics supply shop, like radioshack in the US or maplin in the UK. They'll probably have a choice of more than 20 dfferent switches that could do the job

Edited by Ben

If you don't ground the "input to the amp", then you will get noise due to an open input. Try hanging a guitar cord out of your amp with no guitar plugged in to load it down. Just opening the circuit instead of grounding it gives you the same effect.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. THe original post I responded to sounded like the the signal would either but cut open, or be directed to ground with nothing going to the output. I have also always worked with SPST switches in general electronic aplications where sound is not an issue and we just run the SPST in series in the circuit.

RIGHT. Sorry this is annoying me now.

SPST switch or SPDT switch: (note: SPDT should be ON-ON type)

0----->Ground

Volume pot 'hot' ---->0<----- output jack 'hot'

(0)

This will act as a kill switch. It basically shorts the hot output of your pickups to ground (ie exactly the same as a volume pot does, but using a switch rather than a potentiometer).

Get a switch from any decent electronics/guitar parts shop.

Oh, this does ground the amp input by the way. its works exactly the same as a volume pot.

S

Gulf coast: He uses a momentary, on/off switch, meaning it is just a spring loaded button, when pressed the sound cuts out, relieve the pressure and the button allows sounds to pass through, look through my topics, how to wire one of those switches is in my topics, it has pictures to help you aswell.

Edited by Nitefly SA

• 2 months later...

best place ive found is the good old english sotre Maplin ( dunno if you have it state side ) www.maplin.co.uk i used a DPDT switch wired straight onto the jack lead seems to work fine