My First Acousitc

When I have a new shape I want to build. The first step is making the mold and side bending forms. I find it best to cut them from the same stack of boards to get a well matched set. The nice thing is that after you make forms and molds you can re-use them(only need to make them one time). An afternoons investment is more then worth it(you will gain all that time back during your first build).

P.S. Make sure to get plenty of support in the cutoway area, or around curves when making your bending forms. I prefer to use aluminum slats over tubing. It allows you to get more points of support in tight corners,and it is dead easy to make slats and tap them in place.

Peace,Rich

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to make a sidebender eventually, but I figured I'd try the pipe one last time before I gave up on it. It worked much better this time and I got it right on the template.

I'll take some pics tomorrow, I just got back from band practice and I'm too tired to do anything right now.

P.S. Make sure to get plenty of support in the cutoway area, or around curves when making your bending forms. I prefer to use aluminum slats over tubing. It allows you to get more points of support in tight corners,and it is dead easy to make slats and tap them in place.

Or do it my hardcore, OTT way: make a solid mold. At least, make the surface fully supported across the entire width, all the way 'round.

Mattia

Jonathan Kinkead talked about the shellac or sanding sealer for cutout prevention. It seals the grain. Ill let you know how it works in a couple weeks. ITs all I had so I was using it for endgrain seal. I imagine beeswax and mineral spirits would also work, (I think its what the pros use)

Is this the mold people use light bulbs with (if you dont have a heat blanket? Heat blankets seem to need tempreture control also, which doubles the cost.)

I will be using FLAT IRONS to bend my sides, Ill let you know how it goes. Im starting with Mahogany. I have some quarter sawn cedar from the hardware store for practice sides, and my first guitar maybe. Quarter sawn for the neck also. I just picked through the pile. About 3% of the wood has some decent vertical in it. Wet as hades... .....Now to get my bandsaw to cut it thin and strait when it dries!!!!...

Heat blankets don't need temp control; better to have it, I guess, but I've bent a couple of sets of sides without it, works fine. Also, a blanket from John Hall, with a temp controller, is around a hundred bucks. And/or a router speed controller from Harbor Freight, when on sale, is something like 13 dollars. 25 dollars when it's not, and voila, temp control.

The blanket is totally, totally worth it. If it prevents you from breaking, over its lifetime, 3 sets of sides (or fewer sets of, say, Koa, Figured Sapele, Brazilian Rosewood), it's more than paid for itself.

Looks like you are doing great. Very clean work. Your bending pipe looks very nice. Simple but well made and effective. Funny you posted up those little paper clamps. I have a box of those that I picked up for kerfing, and have yet to try them.

Are you using a radiused dish to mark your sides for the back?

Peace,Rich

Did you use a mold to hold the sides? I noticed the upper bracing and brace on the left side of the sound hole got a bit wacky. Also I can't tell from the pic's but have you capped the X (it is a pretty good idea to do that if you have not done it yet).

All the jigs, molds and dishes take time to make, but are really valuable.

Peace,Rich

No the x brace wasn't capped, but it is now.

I noticed the upper bracing and brace on the left side of the sound hole got a bit wacky.

I'm not 100% sure what your talking about. Care to explain?

Sure, I was just looking at the Pic.IMG_1489.jpg

And I noticed the brace on the left side of the soundhole was closer to the soundhole than the right. I also noticed that where each of the main X bracing meets the sides at the upper bouts the distance to the transverse brace is different. I was just trying to figure out if the sides were true(if they were held in a mold while you attached the top they would be.), or if maybe the sides were a bit skewed and that was what I was seeing. Just kinda curious :D

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

Oh that. The sides are in the right spot, exact same distance from the center line at all points. It's the braces that I got scrwed up. I used a caul for those two soundhole braces and I couldn't see it when I applied pressure from the clamps, but the braces moved. Also the same thing happend to the upper transverse brace and it is skewed a bit. I hope that isin't a huge problem, but there isin't much I can do about it now.

Oh that. The sides are in the right spot, exact same distance from the center line at all points. It's the braces that I got scrwed up. I used a caul for those two soundhole braces and I couldn't see it when I applied pressure from the clamps, but the braces moved. Also the same thing happend to the upper transverse brace and it is skewed a bit. I hope that isin't a huge problem, but there isin't much I can do about it now.

Oh I seriously doubt it would be a problem. Those braces can be slippery buggers.

Peace,Rich

Did you put your linings in after glueing on the top? I can just see that the small sections where the braces meet the sides/linngs are seperate from the rest of the linings> or did you move the linings down after nothching the braces into the sides? or hacve you finished the braces to meet with the sides instead of notching them in?

Just strange curiousity I guess.

Joe

Did you put your linings in after glueing on the top? I can just see that the small sections where the braces meet the sides/linngs are seperate from the rest of the linings> or did you move the linings down after nothching the braces into the sides? or hacve you finished the braces to meet with the sides instead of notching them in?

Just strange curiousity I guess.

Joe

I think Kinkeads book shows him just cutting out the kerfling in 3's where the X braces go into the side, and then he glues them on top. I will cut into the side Kerf myself.

I saw one guy who is has a guitar parts biz actually goes all the way through the sides- the X spruce sticks out the side, you can see it!! And he has a Lutheri business and sells lots of molds etc...

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/index.html

That site listed above also has a simple home made "radius dish" idea, and again hes a pro, and uses it. Kinkead tells how to get the measurments for the radius curve. You do the longitudinal, then measure the 4 braces where they go along the curve to get the different heights, then measure those out- Im jsut about to do that.

Radious dishes are about $100 with sandpaper and shipping. On my second guitar I get the dish I think. hundered here, hundered there, dang by #3 it better be a kickass friggin guitar!! (#1 really, but Im a realist...)

Looking good Godin - very pretty bit of EIR.

Any particular reason for the sides not meeting over the headblock? I know the gap is for the mortise of the neck joint, but I've not seen a mortice and/or gap between the sides which runs the full height of the side before. I'd want to put *soemthing* in the end of the mortise to reinforce the small unsupported area of back.

Any particular reason for the sides not meeting over the headblock? I know the gap is for the mortise of the neck joint, but I've not seen a mortice and/or gap between the sides which runs the full height of the side before. I'd want to put *soemthing* in the end of the mortise to reinforce the small unsupported area of back.

hmmm I don't know. I thought about that. But since this is my first acoustic I'm just doing it the way the book describes.

hmmm I don't know. I thought about that. But since this is my first acoustic I'm just doing it the way the book describes.

The book tells you to route out the full height of the neck block?? Usually you would stop short of the back. Are you doing a glued tenion or screwed :D I mean bolted tenion?

The project is looking great though. It is going to be an amazing first acoustic for sure.

Peace,Rich