My First Acousitc

Okay I got the top binding channels routed and right now I'm glueing in the binding. It's looking sweet. cant wait for that maple on rosewood :D

EDIT. Top binding is all glued on. It's looking good. I'll take some pics when the tape comes off.

Edited by Godin SD

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I'm starting to work on this one again.

I got the top binding done and I've got the binding channel routed on the back, but I'm having trouble bending the flame maple binding to match the arch in the back. How do you guys accomplish this? I'm not talking about bending it to follow the profile of the body, but to follow the arch of the back (as if you we're looking at the guitar from the side)

Okay I'm starting to work on this one again.

I got the top binding done and I've got the binding channel routed on the back, but I'm having trouble bending the flame maple binding to match the arch in the back. How do you guys accomplish this? I'm not talking about bending it to follow the profile of the body, but to follow the arch of the back (as if you we're looking at the guitar from the side)

You must be having trouble at the waist. Binding is usually flexable enough to get it in place without too much force(filament tape usually holds it just fine). How thick is the binding(.08"?)? Also.. If you set the binding on a flat surface does it set pretty flat? or is it somewhat twisted?

Peace,Rich

• 1 month later...

I'm finally nearing completion. I decided to go with bwbwb purfling on the binding and an ebony end graft instead of plain old white binding (really glad I did, the binding looks great)

So the body is done, the neck is almost done. All I have to do on the neck is fret it and carve it, than it's on to the finishing stage.

But I have hit a snag. I've been pressing my frets in using a 1 ton arbor press from harbor freight. But the throat height is so low that I cant get the neck in there to press in frets 10-20 because of the heel sticking down so far.

So how do you guys press your frets in with that heel sticking down so far? Do I need a press with a higher capacity? I really don't want to hammer in all those frets, I hate hammering in frets.

Id like to see more pics and an MP3 of what it sounds like when your done in a month or so...! :D

I'll take more pics today for sure since it's been a while since you guys have seen it. I'll also have a recording up when it's done. I have a friend who would love to get his hands on it and record a piece.

I ended up hammering them in. It went pretty well, but not quite as perfect as pressing. Just a bit of leveling and it will be good to go. :D

Id like to see more pics and an MP3 of what it sounds like when your done in a month or so...! :D

I'll take more pics today for sure since it's been a while since you guys have seen it. I'll also have a recording up when it's done. I have a friend who would love to get his hands on it and record a piece.

I ended up hammering them in. It went pretty well, but not quite as perfect as pressing. Just a bit of leveling and it will be good to go. :D

Have you seen Jaws2 or Jaws3?

Okay the frets are leveled/dressed and it's looking great.

(note, the bridge is just sitting there, thats why it seems all skewed and the dark area(s) on the top are just gunk, the top is nice and white)

IMG_2754.jpg

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

What do you think of that headstock? I really think it looks good with that body.

EDIt: I just started carving the neck, and it will be done in an hour or so.

Looks good, How you gonna get the bridge in place? :D

Oops,I was too vagure, I meant what are you doing to measure it/set up? This is the most crucial measurement!! I d like to see the details when your done.

I'm using stewmacs calculator which gives you exact saddle location for your given scale length (it also says it in the book, and it matches what stewmac says).