No More Top Or Rear Rout

Rashin

Interesting enough idea but how do you "connect the dots"? That is, how do you drill the holes needed to run wiring among the components?

Wow, eleventuple post. I don't know how you did it Robert, but for my continued sanity, try not to do it again! :D

Huh? What exactly happened?

Wow, eleventuple post. I don't know how you did it Robert, but for my continued sanity, try not to do it again! :D

Huh? What exactly happened?

What happened? God only knows, but it resulted in your message being posted 11 times in a row! I deleted the 10 surplus messages and left you the note as explaination.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever thought of getting rid of the ugly rear and front electronics cavities? Possibly a small recess for each pot, and then a tiny wood plate over it? Small channels could then be drilled to connect the other pockets (i.e. jack, pickups, trem, etc).

i do agree they can be ugly, particularly when on the front. even on the back, which is not visible when playing, they break up what could be a beautiful expanse of gorgeous wood.

i'm very impressed with the looks of Setch's cavity covers, and the way the grain matches.

instead of the complexity of the plugging and cross drilling that was originally suggested in this thread, i wonder if Setch's approach, might be taken to 'the next level'?

what do you think about making the entire rear cap, a detachable cover?

that would allow a great deal of freedom in the size shape, and number of rear routs. also, rather than cross-drilling, shallow routs could be used for wire paths between cavities.

of course this would mean there would need to be small screws around the perimeter, but that need not look too bad.

and also with a bolt plate, some relief would be necessary in that portion of the cap.

all in all i imagine it to be a workable idea. then again, sometimes i get these weird ideas, and miss some obvious reason why it wouldn't work.

:D

Edited by unklmickey

if you use long shaft pots and extremely long drill bits you can drill all the way through the guitar run a guitar string soldered to a piece of wire and pullit all through and your guitar is ready to be wired.

thats how i did it. paddle bit into the back of the guitar to make a woodgrain pot cover about the size of a quarter. i was concerned about the amount of wood removed and thought the less i removed the better. did hlep out on the sound. but overall for all the stuff l I like to do with my guitars i only did it once.

what do you think about making the entire rear cap, a detachable cover?

Godin's Radiator does that with a front instead of a back. Looks pretty nice too.

Personally, I like the cavities and control plates and pickguards--they provide opportunity for adding relief to wood. When I see a guitar with nothing but wood, I get the feeling I'm looking at furniture. Unfinished furniture.

Except Setch's stuff, of course :D

First time I've seen this thread and I've gotto say that this idea has gone right up my flagpole. Just seems a really good idea.

When I was making my neck through, the neck came 3/4 of the way down the length of the body. Before attaching the neck (which I never did because of some rotten wood in the headstock), I routed a channel down the edge just big enough for a McDonalds straw. I glued the straw in and then when routing the pickup cavities, there was a nice little cable duct between the cavities. Might be worth considering if you're gluing a top on.

Nice guitar by the way.

Thanks so much for all your great compliments! I have some other ideas in the works for my next build, which will be a 1 piece bloodwood guitar... Ill keep this thread updated with any new ideas, and some more pictures of the cocobolo guitar.

On the cocobolo guitar there wasnt a rear trem cover due to my rush get it to the GOTM thread. It is fully finished now, and I will post some pics asap. Next time tho, I will not use a trem, and the back will be fully naked without any routing at all!