Flying V Dimensions..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Old Thread but I found it so I'm sure other people will happen across it too.

The 58 and 60s have different dimensions in the wings but most of the dimensions are pretty similar.

Note: I don't own either model. The following numbers are the result of internet research and a blueprint I've purchased from EBay, which I believe to be accurate. Don't take any of this as gospel but hopefully this will get people going.

If you're dead set on a historically accurate repro.. buy a template. :D

The neck is standard gibson.

You should pick neck dimensions (width, thickness) that you prefer though IMHO.. unless it's more important to be historically accurate.

These are my notes.. sorry if the formatting is a bit rough here.

I've typed out all my notes and some are a bit jumbled.

1.6875" at nut

12.375" at 12th fret.. width 2.062"

17.805" at 22nd fret.. width 2.226"

60s neck

Peghead Pitch: 17 degrees

Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800

Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.850

Heel Length: 0.625

Neck Joint Location: 17th fret

Fingerboard Species: Ebony

Scale Length: 24 3/4 in.

Total Length: 18.062

Number of Frets: 22

Nut Width: 1.687 in.

Width at 12th Fret: 2.260 in.

17 5/16" truss rod channel

Fret markers should be at least .05" thick.. 1.3mm

NECK: <-- '58? doh!! didn't make a note!

Headstock

7" tip to nut

Scale length

24.75"

Fretboard length

17.8" from nut to 22nd fret. board should be ~18"

Fretboard Width

1 11/16" at nut

2 1/4" at 22nd fret

BODY: <-- '58 V

Centerline Length

11 1/4" from the crotch of the V to the point where the upper curves end

Width of body at shoulders (by neck).. where the curves turn into the outside strait length of the wings.

4 25/32"

Curve radius for wings and crotch

1" radius (they follow contour of a 2" diameter circle)

Outside Length of wings

19" flat.. from the start of the curves

Height of wing, from centerline to the topmost or bottom most point of wings.

8 11/32"

thickness of body

1 3/4" (I'd verify this if I were you)

The 68 body is more pointy. The radius of the curve at the end of the wings and at the Crotch follow a 1 1/2" DIAMETER circle. I print some up off my computer (Adobe Illustrator) and trace them on the body. I've got my router template on order though so I'll just trace that when I get it.

I hope all of this helps.. at least gets you started.

• Like 1

Old Thread but I found it so I'm sure other people will happen across it too.

The 58 and 60s have different dimensions in the wings but most of the dimensions are pretty similar.

Note: I don't own either model. The following numbers are the result of internet research and a blueprint I've purchased from EBay, which I believe to be accurate. Don't take any of this as gospel but hopefully this will get people going.

If you're dead set on a historically accurate repro.. buy a template. :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thought I would share some info from a couple of books I have- as I have purchased several plans and templates, and there are differences amoung them all (I love Vs so this thread grabbed my interest).

according to the 1959 Gibson catalog-

Specifications for flying V:

4 1/2" wide at top, tapering to 16 3/4" wide at tail, 19 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches thick, 24 3/4 scale, 22 frets.

None of the books I have list a length of peghead for the 58-59 model v- I measured my template purchased from guitarbuilding templates dot com and it mearsures 7 15/16' from tip to nut. This is 2/16" longer than a set of plans I picked up off amazon dot com. I didnt think the 58-59 V had a longer headstock than the 66-70 model-just an observation- but unfortunately I dont have a reference anywhere in my books on the length of the 58 V headstock.

Ebony didnt show up as a finger board for the V until the 1979 V2 model- according to Larry Meiner's book (flying V the illustrated history) awesome book!.

1958-59 V //\\ 1966-1970 V

rosewood board //\\ rosewood board

24 3/4 scale //\\ 24 3/4 scale

1 11/16" nut //\\ 1 9/16" nut

17 degree angle //\\ 14 degree headstock angle

1.5" thick body //\\ 1 5/16" thick body

? length of headstock //\\ 7 5/8" long headstock

I have been reading up on Vs as I plan on building a (couple) within the next 6 months.

Just thought I would share-

Peace-

Scott

Edited by Mr Natural

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:47 AM, Prostheta said:

I've had a Flying V on my bucket list for many many years, and this thread is Google's #2 result. :thumb:

Just hunting for body thickness....1-5/16" sounds nice and light to me. At least, that 3/8" is a good slimming. Collecting the materials for a 70s V....

On 1/11/2018 at 8:47 AM, Prostheta said:

I've had a Flying V on my bucket list for many many years, and this thread is Google's #2 result. :thumb:

Just hunting for body thickness....1-5/16" sounds nice and light to me. At least, that 3/8" is a good slimming. Collecting the materials for a 70s V....

Not sure if you guys have already built your V’s but if you’re looking for measurements of the modern V (which is patterned from a 83, which was patterned off a ‘74, patterned off KK Downing’s  ‘67 if we are to listen to Downing as well as some magazine articles). I have a 2001 Gothic model I would be happy to take any/every measurement y’all want and post them here.  Just shoot me a pm here.  I’m planning on building a second as I want one with a Floyd and no router is going to touch mine.  I also know a guy here locally who owns a ‘58 and I will ask him the headstock length for sexybEast and sbandyk. If/when he responds I’ll pass the info along. Not promising anything because he is kind of a dick. 

Prostheta, I also have that Takamine Explorer you mentioned years ago, or was that the Aria Pro version?  I can’t remember.  

Probably an Aria Pro II since they're more my line of interest. Can't say that the V has been top of that interest list, however I've always liked the idea of Jim Martin's 70s V with the chrome plate and Kahler. That rounder headstock tip shape is just perfect for the visual balance as well. Pointier V's, not so much.