My Workshop Progress Thread

jammy

Nice bench...but isn't it a bit, like, low? I'm making mine 42" tall (105cm) to the worksurface, a little below my belly button, which makes most relatively fine work more comfortable, sitting at it with a tall stool perfect for detail work, and adding a 2-4" bench/shelf to stand on leaves it at the right height for stuff that requires putting my back into it (say, planing or similar). I've got the workmate for lower altitude stuff.

Other than that, lookin' great!

The bench top's at about 102cm, so not much difference :D

I am very tall though (6"8) so it comes up to my hip, which seems about right to me. As I said the bench was made from parts from my old bench - and that seemed about the right heght.

If it does turn out to be too low, it's not the end of the world, a couple of hours and another 2x4 and it's problem solved! :D

As for the wood stocks....

At the outfeed end of the thickness sander I need to make some sort of table to prevent whatever comes out the end of it falling on the floor, under that will be a nice wood rack. As with most people's workshops (I presume) this will be somewhat of a on-going task, if It turns out I need more storage I've got alot of roof height (9"6) so some sort of rafter storage isn't out the question if required

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've started! I'm doing the high, harder side of the system first, and it all seems to be going ok. Today my dad and I did the really tricky bit - the branch for the thickness sander which had to be hung from the celing. Anyways, pictures speak a thousand words...

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust1.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust2.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust3.jpg

Holy hell man. That's awesome work :-D

You're going to love your spindle sander....that said, make sure it's well serviced as the part converting the reciprocating up/down action from the motor to the spindle froze on mine the other week, and I had to do a bit of greasing to get it working again. Not even six months old, and dust free inside!

Looking great. I'm quite positive I'll have my dust vac linked to two tools at a time and just slide the vac to where I need it instead of going that route. The dust collection hose may not be strong enough with a single vac linked to 6-8 tools in a 16x20 shop, not to mention the amount of money it would cost to get the splicers / hoses for that setup!

Keep us up to date on the workshop, it's definitely coming out great!

Nearly finished :D I need to pop out tomorrow to get some MDF and a bit of piano hinge to make my floor sweep and get that in place. Rivet and tape everything up and I'm done.

Even with the none-sealed joints at the moment there seems to be some serious suction. Good news! :D

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust4.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust5.jpg

This is the best bit, the sweep box. you just brush up into it with the extractor and and it all gets sucked up into the bag. Awesome!

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust6.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust7.jpg

The pipe terminating over the desk will be for plugging in attachments for hand sanders and the like...

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/dust8.jpg

All finished, sealed and riveted up. It's working really well :D

Edited by jammy

The extraction unit I got second hand for £300 (they're about £570 new)

And the piping was about £500. Installation was free, as I did it myself!

I've got 2 full 3m lengths of the pipe left over though! It seemst he guy who estimated the lengths I'd need wasn't banking on me being so efficiant :D

Edited by jammy

Looking good. Are the hoses from the thickness sander attached to an electrical ground? If not, they will charge up like mad with static electricity.

Not yet, no. I'm going to ground the system tomorrow. I've not been using it yet really you see...

Looking good. Are the hoses from the thickness sander attached to an electrical ground? If not, they will charge up like mad with static electricity.

Not yet, no. I'm going to ground the system tomorrow. I've not been using it yet really you see...

Considering the piece is less than 3ft long and the fact that you can't really ground plastic/poly I wouldnt bother. The entire system is metal anyway. As long as the main system is grounded you're good.

I run mine on a DAILY basis making radius blocks. With just pvc hose and no grounding. There is not even a hint of electrostatic discharge.

I would worry more about having some sort of buffer between the ductwork and the impeller. If you suck up a bolt/wrench/tailpiece it'll go right in and hit the impeller. Perhaps breaking a vein or throwing the imperller off balance.

At the very least itll scare the crap out of you when it hits. (trust me it sounds like a gunshot)

Edited by GuitarGuy

I would worry more about having some sort of buffer between the ductwork and the impeller. If you suck up a bolt/wrench/tailpiece it'll go right in and hit the impeller. Perhaps breaking a vein or throwing the imperller off balance.

At the very least itll scare the crap out of you when it hits. (trust me it sounds like a gunshot)

What do you suggest?

What do you suggest?

Not really sure. Currently I just watch what I suck up. Sucked a few heavy blocks of wood and thats bad enough for me.

A garbage can cyclone would drop most heavy stuff. But that is just an inference. You'd hafta experiment with that one. I know im going to have to put some thought into it when I have a perminant spot for the dust collector.

I remember reading somewhere that garbage can cyclones don't work very well with high volume dust collectors. I remember I was thinking of getting one for my dust collector, but mine is about twice the cfm of the suggested max for a garbage can cyclone. Might still give it a try eventually, although I may have to fiberglass a baffle inside the lid or something.

peace,

russ

I run mine on a DAILY basis making radius blocks. With just pvc hose and no grounding. There is not even a hint of electrostatic discharge.

Performax 16-32 with PVC hose...the static can raise the hair on my arm close to the hose if I don't run some metal tape around the outside.

It is very difficult to ground plastic. I get little or no static muself so whatever works for ya. Unless you start getting shocks or your insurance requires it, its a waste of time. Get metal (alum dryer venting) or don't worry about it.

I remember reading somewhere that garbage can cyclones don't work very well with high volume dust collectors.

I read that too. I have a lid but no can so I cant try it yet. Mine is 1250 cfm and I was thinking the same baffel idea. But the thought here is to let somthing heavy like a 2X 3 piece of lumber or a wrench drop out of the system so it doesnt break anything, thats all.

As far as a bin to separate chips unless you have alot of work being done its not necssary. The spinning action of the collector causes the chips to settle out VERY tightly packed. It feels like a bag of animal bedding when you empty it. Super compressed. At lest that how mine works. Its a King brand collector.