Spooky Ebay Dealer Responce

fryovanni

So I spotted some Redwood auctions that interested me. I noticed one auction said the wood was 1/8 sawn(assumed it was a typo as many other auctions noted 1/4 sawn, Vertical grain, "Tonewood"). So I asked.

"What do you mean by 1/8th sawn. I saw this and figured it was a typo, but now I see it in two auction titles.I am familiar with quarter sawn, flat sawn, plain sawn, and rift sawn. However have never heard 1/8th. "

Responce:

"It was cut with a wood-mizer with a 1/8 size blade."

So I asked:

" That makes no sense in the wood description. So can you tell me what grain orientation I should expect when you say 1/4 sawn or 1/8 sawn(Flat/Plain, Quartered, or Rift). "

Responce;

"1/4 sawn will show circular cut lines from the blade 1/8 will show horizontal lines from the bands. I sand and/or plane 95% of the lines out anyways so it doesn't really matter. "

I looked over other auctions that were noted as "1/4 sawn" with "flat grain". Just made me wonder what "Tonewood" is :D . Ebay sellers really spook me sometimes :D .

Funny thing about this dealer was at a glance they looked like they knew what they were doing. A lot of the terminoligy could be accurate(if they knew what the words meant). I am just glad that I was out bid by a couple last minute bidders(I bid before that question came to mind). I was setting there thinking to myself- if this is all rift sawn. I can use it for wings or something. Then my hero's stepped in at the last minute and rescued me B) .

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

Well either way, that "1/8 sawn" board is definitely not quartersawn. The end grain on that board in the auction runs diagonally. I wish they would sand those ends to clearly show end grain when selling wood and claiming its quartersawn. Can't tell with the other sample.

I was not going to ID the seller, but looks like you found your way to the auction. I sent a message trying to describe quarter, flat, rift, straight grain, VG (Vertical grain). I think he is getting closer, but not quite there yet.

The Responce; "Thanks for that great info. Yes I will be selling more. If the end grain is atleast 45 degrees I consider it verticalgrain, anything more is flat grain. What kind of peice are you looking for, I am sure I have it in the yard. I would like to thank you once again for the great info. "

Peace,Rich

This should make you fellas looking around on Ebay pay attension to who you are dealing with. This guy has great feedback, and seems to be totally on the up and up. The use of common industry terminology just seems to fall short :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had corresponded further with the dealer. In the interum I made a deal with another non-Ebay wholesaler for a larger order. The Ebay dealer came up with pictures of two billets that were well quartersawn and had nice straight grain(clean cuts). So I figured what the heck a couple more pieces wouldn't hurt and I could check out the wood. I recieved the wood today. The cuts look great. The moisture content 20%+ :D . I will find out how they work out in a couple of years after they dry out. Gotta love Ebay.

Peace,Rich

Well not detered by this dealer. I found a proper Redwood dealer and recieved my bits this week. I was very please with this order. I even chopped up a good part of the order and have them aclimating for re-saw.

redwood3.gif

The curly is quite nicely quartersawn, and curl is tasty. All is 100 year+ old growth :D . Mmm...Soundboards :D

click

click

Peace,Rich

• 1 month later...

oh my...fry....i am getting a little actiomn in the pants looking at that stack ogf wood...soooo beautiful....mmmmmsexyyyyy

Down boy! No dry humpin the Redwood :D

This was a nice find for me. I had been looking for a good source of top notch RW for quite a while. Best part is most every piece is quartersawn within 10 deg. B) . Perfect for Acoustic soundboards, Arch Top plates :D

Peace,Rich

perfect for shipping to texas?

let me ask you..i have heard various reprts...is redwood hard or soft,dense or porous?tonal properties?

and would you let go of one of those blanks for the right price?and what would the right price be?

Redwood is a softwood. It is somewhere between Western Red Cedar and Sitka in terms of hardness. Porous? not really(mild grain fill). I refuse to give descriptions of solid body "tone" anymore(too subjective). In terms of an acoustic soundboard(@ about 1/8" thick), and how it sounds when tapped. It rings in strong and with punch, even responce and outstanding sustain. Mind you that is from an acoustic point of view. If I described Claro Walnut- It rings in strong and solid, note flutters slightly and dies rapidly. Mahogany(hoduran)- It rings in strong and even, slowly decays with some flutter. Take of that what you will, and translate to thicker solid body, whatever shape, and how much impact you think it would have on coloring the electrical signal.

I am not going to be selling them in billet form to the general public. Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Peace,Rich