Ultra Cheap Bass Build.

both sides are nice but personally, I think that side 2 looks a bit odd because it doesn't fit very well on that shape....but....although I prefer side 1, it will probably look strange near the rear strap button where the colours change from side 1 to side 2. Basically where the number 17 is written, that could look odd if side 1 is used with a maple top on the other side.

does that make sense?....I know what I mean B)

I think that, because of that transition area, you should use side 2. It looks like a laminate which is cool but if it was a laminate you'd most likely use 3 pieces of wood...what you're going to end up with is what looks like 3 laminates plus an extra bit added on the side which might look odd

Uhhh ok..... :D:D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Had the day off from work so Ive been working on the bass. I got the body and top glued up last night. I got the shapes roughly cut out. I also routed the neck pocket (extra long tennon) and will start shaping the neck later today.

Front to be covered with the quilted maple top.

000_0018.jpg

Ive really been admiring how Prs guitars are built, so I decided to do my neck joint somewhat like thiers but with a lot longer tennon. This will give me the neck through tone I want with out seperating the body woods. Also, Im going to thin the body down another 1/8" :D

Back showing poplar and neck joint style

Thanks for looking!

I Had the day off from work so Ive been working on the bass. I got the body and top glued up last night. I got the shapes roughly cut out. I also routed the neck pocket (extra long tennon) and will start shaping the neck later today.

Front to be covered with the quilted maple top.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/scottyd/000_0018.jpg

Ive really been admiring how Prs guitars are built, so I decided to do my neck joint somewhat like thiers but with a lot longer tennon. This will give me the neck through tone I want with out seperating the body woods. Also, Im going to thin the body down another 1/8" :D

Back showing poplar and neck joint style

Thanks for looking!

i have an idea for a neck joint myself, because i like how the prs joint is done, but i like how neck through's sound, but i find they take more tone from the neck wood than the body wood, and i like their superior heel and fret access, so i'm gonna be trying this on one of my future builds

SetThroughIdea.jpg

Edited by ElysianGuitars

sorry i dont post much cuz i dont feel like i have room to talk on lot of these subject but having build a guitar with this kind of neck joint. one needs to keep in mind how deep you pockets for you pickups and what kind of bridge you are using.. i used a flyod rose. and wish i have only run the neck up to the bridge and not past it. just food for thought. on a bass i hardly doubt you will have this issue.

Edited by au3078

Elysian, yeah I used that design on a zebrawood bass I built about a year ago. It came out pretty good and I guess in theory it should give a good balance of both neck and body wood tone, although I couldnt tell :D. The current design is pretty similar, the neck just doesnt show in the body at all and being it doesnt have but about 1/4" of wood on top I doubt it will make a dramatic tone difference from just a standard neck through.

AU3078 I see what your saying, the only problem I would have in that respect would be pickups and being only 3/4" total (jazz Pups) i'll be allright. Thats a good point you brought up though, I never thought about the neck throughs with floyds, kinda defeats the purpose huh?

I started shaping the neck just where the heel and body meet. I bought a microplane today and about $75.00 worth of clamps, and some rasps. I have to admit that I've never shaped a neck with the rasps and microplane before. I've always used my D.A sander and 40 grit disks, very dusty but effective. I like this alot better but I learned the hard way that they are not as forgiving but all and all its coming along nice.

000_0026.jpg

Another view

Thanks for looking.....

Edited by scottyd

I got the top joined and glued on and I started rough shaping it. The centerline of the bookmatch got a little off from the body centerline but Im not sweating it :D . At the top of the body is a pickup cover Ive started on. They will be maple and poplar over Ducan basslines Jazz pups(a used set Ive had laying around a while). I ordered the cocobolo fretboard and bought all the material to build the truss rod. I also got some purple and black die for the quilted maple. Yep save from the cocobolo and paduak this whole things going to be purple. :D

4654.jpg

Another View

Thanks for looking.

isn't 1 3/4 inch pretty standard?

it looks a lot thicker than it is because of the contour. you have to look a bit closer... doesn't look to bad to me.

I'd be VERY cautious if you do the scooped back. you might get white poplar showing up in the middle in weird ways, which might not look too good...

Edited by NamelessOne

isn't 1 3/4 inch pretty standard?

it looks a lot thicker than it is because of the contour. you have to look a bit closer... doesn't look to bad to me.

I'd be VERY cautious if you do the scooped back. you might get white poplar showing up in the middle in weird ways, which might not look too good...

Yeah excellent point.

Nice work on the bass scott, ive also brought from medicine bowl off ebay.Did you maessage me last week bud on talkbass?

keep up the good work

Robbie.

Nice work on the bass scott, ive also brought from medicine bowl off ebay.Did you maessage me last week bud on talkbass?

keep up the good work

Robbie.

Thanks Robbie, That means alot from you! As far as messaging you on talkbass, not that I recall. I have however messaged you on your forum. Your latest Marseer is stunning!