The other Dremmels

DividedByJames

I know all of you must own a Dremmel-esque tool and I wanted to get opinions about the other non-Dremmels. I have a Black and Decker RTX that came free with a tool box that I bought. Opinions? Should I put it to the way-side and spend the money on the brand name Dremmel? Or should I stick with it and buy B&D accessories? So far I've only used it with a sanding tool to fix a neck joint issue but I noticed the accessories it comes with lack luthier style tools.

FYI I am at best a hobbyist, not a full blown builder like some of you. My talents are also lacking in doing anything extravagant. Probably simple body work like pickup routing and maybe inlay at best.

well i have a "Clarke" and it's identical.... all the attachements i've baught so far have fit perfectly, when i asked the same thing at a hardware store they said "well there's no point in making a knock off if you can't use the same attachments for the tool you're trying to knock off..." always made sense to me

for the cavities.. ummm i think a couple of people have had that idea but i don't think a dremel can do deep enough for some cavities and for most it would just take to many passes, since i'm assuming a dremel doesn't have near the power of a decent router and the bits are much smaller.

I have 2 of the Clarkes, they are overall bigger than a dremel by a fair bit, I also have a Craftsman which is actually smaller, but both fit all the attachments. The Clarkes are great, they cost me $50 Canadian at the co-op building center and come with a flex attachment. The Craftsman seems to be the best built though, it has better (stiffer) bearings for routing, not as much flex in the collet. (inlay routing I mean) and just seems to have a little more torque as well.

The dremel is the most expensive of all the brands. I like the clarkes for the flex attachment use, but I prefer the craftsman for most other stuff.