Dead Router

Mickguard

Here's a factoid: all three of the carpenters we hired to work on our house were missing fingers.

That's a pretty callous initiation ritual if ever I've heard one. :D

I've still got mine, thankfully.

Having said that, I don't want to jinx myself tomorrow at the worksite, either. (touching wood vigorously)

cheers, Stu

No fooling. I like it that my router requires me to hold down two buttons to make it run (while it's willing to run of course). I'll leave the always-on models to the professionals, thank you very much.

Here's a factoid: all three of the carpenters we hired to work on our house were missing fingers.

hell yeah, I prefer the momentary ones for holding the router but they're useless if you want to table mount...& having the cutter stationary & both hands on the material *should* be just as safe it's just that confidence sometimes makes your brain switch off. I've witnessed a spindle moulder accident & I remind myself of it before I start up any power tool because you really need to remain focused all the time.

i can only image scotty getting sucked into his router..

today I was dremeling a insert to size a neck pocket, and I was doing it in my living room over a plastic bag I had used to hold the scraps from destroying a ebony fretboard..

anyway, the dremel cought the edge of the bag.

it was like a grenade went off.

Ebony flying everywhere and the dremel snaking, trying to free itself from hand.

my roommate happened to be walking by and took cover behind our couch...

awesome...

I could totaly see a router grabbing a long sleve shirt or somthing and yanking you to it..

Do you not realise how stupid that is?! I really hope for you and your housemate's sakes you learn to treat tools with respect and common sense. Use a workbench, don't put anything that could snag on the router anywhere near it, clamp it down properly. Jeez.

If you carry on doing things like that I'll put £20 on you not having all your fingers before long.

it was a 1/8th sanding bit, not a cutting.

I was on my table, wearing gloves and goggles over the top of a plastic bag.

besides using a plastic bag full of ebony chips to attempt to manage catching some of the dust becuase I didnt want to go outside to the garage where theres no chair/tv/radio to sit and sand a MDF insert, I see nothing wrong.

as far as the rest of my tools go, I allways use a table, or concrete counter with my piece clamped down.

or I use a cabinet makers shop..

I often sand with two hands when using a dremel, especially when testing it to fit somewhere specific.

Dude - don't use it like that!.

In the event that something goes wrong you have no quick way of switching it off, and that's extremely important when it's gnawing a hole towards an apendage you want to remain attached to. If you get a bot of clothing trapped in the bit and can't reach the plug to disable it you could get seriously injured.

Yeah on a serious note I avoid using it, and on the occasion that I do Im extremely cautious just for that reason. You have a very valid point, I like all my fingers just the way they are. Im probably going to buy a new one and use this one for a table with an external switch.

You're sanding MDF inside your house? Do you all walk around with respirators? That stuff is toxic, you know that, right?

I don't like to wear gloves when I'm working, I like to know exactly where the tips of my fingers are. I do wear goggles, a respirator and hearing protection, and always work with a heavy jacket (mostly because it's cold in there!)

As for the always-on part-- I see tools like that as better reserved for professionals or people with a lot more experience at this than me. I'm still making plenty of stupid beginner mistakes, and I'll take every safeguard I can get.

I'm tempted to get a bandsaw, but I know I'm not ready for that yet.

every wood I work with is toxic. and its actually plywood, my other templates are MDF or MDQ.

im more woried about ebony dust then the dust from mdf.

I have another set thats foam on the inside with thin lams of wood for faces.

MDF dust is far more harmful than ebony dust. Mainly because MDF is filled with a carcinogenic glue to hold all the fibers together.

Your apparent laziness to go down to the garage to work bothers me. I'm glad I don't live in your house, it's not really fair for you to make your housemates inhale harmful dust because you want to sit in front of the TV while you work (which takes your concentration away from what you're doing - no wonder you caught the dremel on that plastic bag).

wow.. I don’t know why I feel I have to validate my self, but..

1. it was plywood

2. I know what MDF is made of, and I also know what’s in cigarettes(witch, unlike MDF, are PROVEN to cause cancer).

3. I wanted the radio, bright light, and warmth, NOT the TV. my roommate was watching TV.

4. Many people on this board don’t wear respirators to sand a piece of maple, witch, in my experience, is more of a irritant then plywood. I wear a mask

5. I’m more worried about my roommate eating ramen or 7 year old jelly then I am him being around plywood dust. Especially because he works in a hardware store and recently moved to Millwork.

6. have you seen how much dust comes off a dremel? its not a table saw.

You know, wood is dangerous, so is driving in your car. In fact, leaving your house is almost a guaranteed way of putting yourself in harm.

see you guys later, Im on my way to a kindergarten class to juggle loaded pistols

wow.. I don’t know why I feel I have to validate my self, but..

1. it was plywood

2. I know what MDF is made of, and I also know what’s in cigarettes(witch, unlike MDF, are PROVEN to cause cancer).

3. I wanted the radio, bright light, and warmth, NOT the TV. my roommate was watching TV.

4. Many people on this board don’t wear respirators to sand a piece of maple, witch, in my experience, is more of a irritant then plywood. I wear a mask

5. I’m more worried about my roommate eating ramen or 7 year old jelly then I am him being around plywood dust. Especially because he works in a hardware store and recently moved to Millwork.

6. have you seen how much dust comes off a dremel? its not a table saw.

You know, wood is dangerous, so is driving in your car. In fact, leaving your house is almost a guaranteed way of putting yourself in harm.

see you guys later, Im on my way to a kindergarten class to juggle loaded pistols

You should have lurked more.

Dude - don't use it like that!.

In the event that something goes wrong you have no quick way of switching it off, and that's extremely important when it's gnawing a hole towards an apendage you want to remain attached to. If you get a bot of clothing trapped in the bit and can't reach the plug to disable it you could get seriously injured.

okay, so my work table is about 3' off the ground, so my feet are safe.

my hands are both on the router handles so they should be safe, as long as i hang on.

so what other appendage(s) would be 3' off the ground....................................................

..............................................................OMG, holy shiznit! I ain't NEVER gonna use it like that!.....I PROMISE!

:D

okay, so my work table is about 3' off the ground, so my feet are safe.

my hands are both on the router handles so they should be safe, as long as i hang on.

so what other appendage(s) would be 3' off the ground....................................................

..............................................................OMG, holy shiznit! I ain't NEVER gonna use it like that!.....I PROMISE!

I hope you're referring to your crown jewels as being 3' off the floor....

Edited by Supernova9

I personally love my Porter Cable router. I've had it for about 9 years now and its one of the highest quality tools I have. I have the one with a fixed base but they have a new combo pack that has the fixed and plunge base.

I use my PC exclusively in a shop made router table.

My second router is the classic plunge BOSCH 1613. Soft start, variable speed and single wrench bit changes. I like it a lot and I always use it as a plunge or for when a router table isn't practical like routing door hinges. It doesn't get much use for guitar building aside from truss rod channel routing using my shop made mortising/truss rod channel jig. The soft start feature is a real bonus for a hand held router.

Both routers were > $200.00 Canadian at the time I bought them so they're not cheap by any means but they've been consistent performers.

Edited by guitar2005