Pine For Body

FOAM?

Now you've gone TOO FAR!

I'm vomiting and spewing and hurling huge chunks of vomitous bile all over the Castle!

Trust B.C Rich to build Something like that :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way...i in no way believe that guitar was foam...urban legend if you ask me...or just plain b.s.

don't believe everything you hear.

bc rich has made FIBREGLASS bodies before...not necks,bodies...and some guitars have carbon fibre necks.

but foam?i call major b.s.

I'll ask Neal

EDIT, there I just sent Neal A PM, I cant wait to see if this Foam guitar is for real :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

sorry..i only know neal moser through his work...i have never talked to him in person..but you would be surprised at how many people will exagerate...even important people.

look at e.r.

i don't care if jesus himself tells me that guitar is foam...i will not believe it unless i see it for myself.

or he could send it to drak..i would believe drak

that's right...drak is more trustworthy that jesus to me...i said it! :D

drak is more trustworthy that jesus to me

HAHAHAHAHAHA :D

he is like an ugly,old,decrepit,flamboyant dad to me..

You obviously missed my Steaming Hot and Hulky Lumberjack pic then! :D

I'm not interested in it myself as I use Spanish Cedar instead to get to the same tonepark, but most of the average Telecaster players and builders are not your typical 14 year old, they're more likely to be in their 40's or 50's and are not stupid by a Loooong Shot, on average they are quite intelligent and well spoken (well, after all, they ARE Telecaster Players :D )...they're typically very good experienced players, on average probably far better than I'll ever be.

Not all obviously, but a damn fair average of 'em.

And I have since built several Alder guitars, it has become my primary 'go to' wood for quite some time now.

I did by a 12' slab of Black Limba and have a few bodies made of it, but none are finished yet to tell their story.

WOW DRAK it looks as if you may have Found your Self an Igor for your Castle :D

igor.jpg

!!YESSSS MASTER DRAK!! I SHALL HELP YOU FEED THE WOD

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

You obviously missed my Steaming Hot and Hulky Lumberjack pic then!

no i saw it...it is seared into my retinas...i can barely see my screen through that image,

and the daisy dukes you were wearing in that photo is the reason for the word "flamboyant"

the sledge hammer only partially made up for that nightmare of an outfit :D

and matt...watch out or i will make you my "mr. smithers"

and matt...watch out or i will make you my "mr. smithers"

HAHAHAHA :D oh man how this Thread has gone

... I'm not interested in it myself as I use Spanish Cedar instead to get to the same tonepark, but most of the average Telecaster players and builders are not your typical 14 year old, they're more likely to be in their 40's or 50's and are not stupid by a Loooong Shot, on average they are quite intelligent and well spoken (well, after all, they ARE Telecaster Players :D )...they're typically very good experienced players, on average probably far better than I'll ever be.

Not all obviously, but a damn fair average of 'em ...

The pine thing sounds interesting at the very least. Maybe next time I have an extra $325 laying around I'll get me one of these. :D

okay...well i have seen enough proof...

i officially change my position...pine is obviously a proven guitar wood..

i still say though that stud grade wall wood is NOT a good option...that clear pine on the tele body is very nice looking....if it were painted solid

but the price is ridiculous

and by the way...i promise you that pine blank cost as much or more as an alder equivalent

but i still don't get WHY?i thought our(guitarbuilders) purpose was to build something unique...or at least special in some way

what is unique or special about a pine guitar?

are you going to put top end hardware and electronics on it?maybe ss frets?or are you going to go as cheap as possible?

if you spend the money on everything else,why not pick a nice piece of wood...something special?

and if you are going cheap...why not buy that $100 warlock every guitar store and internet shop has in stock?just for fun?

wood shopping is at least 1/2 the fun...

admit it drak...you get more joy out of sourcing the net for wood than you do anything else...you practically orgasm every time you win a 500 year old piece of burl from ebay...or a brilliant veneer

so wouldn't you reccomend sourcing beautiful wood?just for the fun of it?

i love buying wood...i still have more wood than i will ever use...and i will keep on buying as i find it...

but like i say...i officially change my mind...find a clear piece of pine,surface it,and use it...just don't use nails to attach the neck...hehe

... I'm not interested in it myself as I use Spanish Cedar instead to get to the same tonepark, but most of the average Telecaster players and builders are not your typical 14 year old, they're more likely to be in their 40's or 50's and are not stupid by a Loooong Shot, on average they are quite intelligent and well spoken (well, after all, they ARE Telecaster Players :D )...they're typically very good experienced players, on average probably far better than I'll ever be.

Not all obviously, but a damn fair average of 'em ...

The pine thing sounds interesting at the very least. Maybe next time I have an extra $325 laying around I'll get me one of these. :D

Its $325.00, but you have to understand that "When you buy a Glendale body you are buying one of the best crafted bodies made today. A lot of time, engineering and effort have gone into each and every body." You also get 2 screws and springs. Finish at $275 per body is a real steal too B)

Yeah, I can imagine the hours and late nights that must have been spent engineering the body :D

I could probably rout out a body like that in 1 hour and $20.00 worth of painstainkingly hand slected premium pine for its superior tonal characteristics. B)

My god like touch and voodoo could bring out the best tone out of the wood (Zachary hat on).

Then, you go to AllParts dot com and buy a mighty mite neck to macth it to this truly amazing piece of modern engineering. Yeah, right!

You really think someone would put bottom feeder hardware on a $350.00 body?

Well, do ya, punk? B)

TOP SHELF GOODS are put on those bodies, check his prices on his bridgeplates and saddles if you want a wake-up call to smell the sweet scent of Pine.

BTW, I actually use his (Glendale) saddle sets and a few bridgeplates. They're expensive, but they kick serious Telecaster ass, I kid you not. :D

Overpriced? You betcha. But the parts are genuine Guit-Fiddle Twang-Approved, all the way to Bakersfield and back. :D

Now uhhhh, where did I put that Steve Vai CD? :D

Well, if I were to make a tele body out of pine I would probably go a little on the exotic side with this stuff. The deck of my truck was originally 1" X 8'1" yellow pine planks. I've since replaced it with 3/4" marine plywood, but when it comes time to rebuild I will likely hunt down some of this denim stuff as its fairly local. :D

Edited by Southpa

"Denim Pine is a unique exotic wood created by Mother Nature. It can currently be found deep within the forests of British Columbia, Canada."

What a bunch of kak on that site!

That's just mineral-stained Pine, usually it would sell at a reduced, second-quality price, until you find a NICHE MARKET for it! :D:D

It does look pretty cool on floors tho, maybe an acquired taste?

I DID read it.

...But admittedly, not a whole lot. B)

I shall go back and :D now. :D:D

"The other beautiful thing to come out of this, is the development of an exotic wood we call DenimPine. As these lodgepole pine trees die, something beautiful happens to the wood. During it's life and death struggle, the wood itself develops an interesting blue grey hue which penetrates part of the way into the wood grain from the outside in. The coloring is similar to denim blue and has hence been dubbed DenimPine. Structurally, the wood is the same, it's the same wonderful pine many builders are used to for building just about everything, just it has a different exotic look."

Well, I think at least part of it is marketing hyperbole, it's not an 'exotic wood' by any stretch, it's just colored Pine is all. B)

How it got it's coloring is maybe debatable, I'm sure Rich will be along shortly to straighten me out where the grey comes from.

I know Buckeye Burl does the EXACT SAME THING but it's just natural spalting taking place, it also, just like they say about the Pine, needs SUNLIGHT to turn that color...it turns the same damn color as that EXOTIC PINE.

I still say it's mineral streaking of some sort, how the minerals react to sunlight or something.

Look up Buckeye Burl, you'll see the exact same thing, and I have talked to a guy who harvests the stuff and he explained the process to me.

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after06-2...8-06IW10082.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images/05-08-02iw139back.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after06-2...5-06IW10291.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after06-2...1-06IW10400.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after04-2...26-06IW9551.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after01-2...21-06IW9156.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after01-2...21-06IW9159.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/photo_html06-27-...29-06w10894.htm

http://www.gilmerwood.com/photo_html06-27-...08-06w10463.htm

it's not even hard to find...

catch the fever baby!!!!

buy a surface planer and a small jointer(about $400 for both) and the world is your woodpile...

then you will no longer pay $50 for a surfaced set of alder on stewmac again...or anything else

you know...when i build a guitar out of plain woods like mahogany and maple or alder...$50 gets me enough wood for 2 or 3 complete guitars...minus the fretboards,which i buy from lmii these days...fret slotting by hand sucks...but i will do it when i have to.

i have a piece of figured bubinga left over from the explorer i am building which is big enough for about 6 fingerboards or a neck and a couple of fingerboards,if i scarf joint...

the entire piece of wood was over $300(for body and the leftover piece)...but i will be using pieces of it for necks,bodies,bindings,and fingerboards for my next 5 or 6 guitars...even after sending some of it to friends overseas..

that's what makes it fun...thinking about how to use your woods effectively.

You really think someone would put bottom feeder hardware on a $350.00 body?

Well, do ya, punk? :D

TOP SHELF GOODS are put on those bodies, check his prices on his bridgeplates and saddles if you want a wake-up call to smell the sweet scent of Pine.

BTW, I actually use his (Glendale) saddle sets and a few bridgeplates. They're expensive, but they kick serious Telecaster ass, I kid you not. :D

Overpriced? You betcha. But the parts are genuine Guit-Fiddle Twang-Approved, all the way to Bakersfield and back. B)

Now uhhhh, where did I put that Steve Vai CD? :D

Uhhuhh uhuh Yeah, I do. on the Glendale site, he actually suggests that you go to AllParts . com for the neck. "All after-market Tele necks are compatible (e.g. the All Parts neck"

I'm not making this stuff up B)

Hey, I'm sure that some of the necks are really good quality (seriously) but suggesting to go to allparts when you charge $60.00 for "vintage aged knobs" is beyond me. He should make some necks and sell those too.

To each his own. I wish I would have the nerve to build up a business like that.

I don't know if this guy realizes it, but he's practically GIVING away his guitar bodies compared to Glendale.

i don't know though...i would have to hear from someone i consider a good builder that has actually built and played one...

Contact Carey Nordstrand or Stewart McKinsey - they'll give you some good hands on info.

www.nordstrandguitars.com

beside the point but i really dislike those satin finishes...i have heard "for a natural feel" toomany times...i have even said it myself.

it translates into "easier than thick high gloss" most times.

nice woods he uses though...but good god..that flame maple bass has one butt ugly blue stain on it...imo

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this forum. I've been building guitars for 26 years now as a serious hobbiest. I found this thread pretty interesting and I hope you don't mind me getting into the conversation here. I have completed about 20 pine tele bodies over the last 4-5 years. You can see some of them on the Telecaster discussion forum.

Now what I'm gonna say here is just my own opinion and I don't mean to step on anybody's toes. There isn't anything wrong with working with pine as a guitar wood. It helps to know what the results are going to be in advance. First the wood does dent easily, but there are other woods that dent easily too. Second, if using sugar pine, there is a chance that pitch pockets could become apparent, and sap could seep out after a good sanding. The third factor applies to many wood species.... stability.... some woods are more stable than others. Mahogany and Basswood are very stable. Other species have more wood movement when their environment changes. This doesn't mean that they make bad guitars, just that the wood needs to be well dried before turning into a guitar, and they should be kept at a similar humidity level.

What is funny to me is that guitar people have their likes and dislikes, and aren't really open minded about new materials and hardware. I built pointy necked guitars during the 80's and 90's, when basswood,poplar, and floyds were at their zenith. Now it's hard to sell one. I've heard people insist that only alder and swamp ash should be used for for any Fender instruments. We need to remember that wood is only one element that impacts the sound of a guitar. I recently spoke to an acquaintance whom has a couple of my pine bodies at a guitar show a few weeks ago. I was telling him about the pine renaissance (sp) for teles. He said there wasn't anything magical about the wood, that it just sounded " different". "It sounds good, but not like alder or swamp ash" I believe that different is good for some and not for others. It just depends on what floats your boat. Now I can't even offer an opinion on how the pine sounds, since all the product has been sold to other folks, and I'm not really a Fender guy anyway. The bottom line here is this, If the wood is dry and stable, workable, and not too heavy, there is a pretty good chance that a decent guitar is going to materialize. Would I use an SPF 2x4? If it were sitting around for a few years, I might try it out. Construction timbers are not dried to the same moisture content as other cabinet woods. I think they are around 10-11% or so moisture content, as compared to kiln dried hardwoods which are around 6-8 % moisture content.

Today's luthiers are using new and different tone woods for backs and sides that wouldn't have been considered 10-15 years ago. We all have our preferences, but sometimes we just might be surprised if we gave something different a chance.