Pine For Body

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHHH HA!! Neal Says that its Flat out true it was a foam guitar (I know wes wount bleave it)

Yep, absolutely true. A totally foam Warlock. The only thing on the guitar that was wood was the finger board

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Im going to ask Neal what He ended up doing with it!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

here is my problem...neal used to work for bc rich...he has no compunction about saying exactly how he feels about them...he has every reason in the world to know bc rich is an inferior product(which they are...don't get me wrong...those import riches are 100%crap based on the one i own and the others i have seen)

yet he had access to a "foam" guitar...and he does not have the pictures taken with all those kick ass cameras he uses to pic his own work plastered all over his site andforum to prove his assertions about the level of their crapness?

it just does not add up...if it is true he WILL have pictures..i know i would

beside the point but i really dislike those satin finishes...i have heard "for a natural feel" toomany times...i have even said it myself.

it translates into "easier than thick high gloss" most times.

nice woods he uses though...but good god..that flame maple bass has one butt ugly blue stain on it...imo

I like the satin finishes, but it depends on which guitar. I think a lot of people on this board diss the non-gloss finishes simply because in most case, they're slightly easier to do.

I guitar is not just about of much effort it takes to get a gloss finish.

those thin satin finishes that are called "natural" do not protect the guitar as well as a thicker finish...

don't get me wrong...they look decent in their own way...but they are much better to be used on a low level instrument.

just my opinion

Kinda off topic here... but

Example: I'd NEVER put a high gloss finish on a guitar like this:

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read...yl_kl_chech.htm

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read...gs/syl_kl_3.htm

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read...gs/syl_kl_4.htm

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/read...alcon_klexp.htm

that guitar especially should have a gloss finish...so as not to obscure the wood grain if nothing else.

that guitar is very nice..but it really is only the wood that makes it exceptional looking...and the wood is not being shown off to my liking

sorry about the last part if anyone saw it before i deleted it...i meant to hit p.m. and hit edit instead...

Sorry I have been on for a few days and haven't replied yet but WOW! what a response!!!

First I would like to clear a few things.

FIRST AND FORMOST THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR IMPUT! AS A NEWBE I APPEREATE ALL AND ANY ADVISE THAT I GET.

I was wondering about pine as I have used it to make everything from shelves to tables and was wondering if it would transfer to my "NEW HOBBIE" of guitar making.

Since this is my first build I know that I am bound to make a few errors in my work so I was planning on using a wood that I had a large supply of, I don't what to sound like a tree hugger but I would rather practice on a wood that is renewable than a hardwood that takes a years to regrow, So if I screwed up a pine body I wouldn't be as upset as if I screwed up a walnut or some other expensive or hard to find hardwood.

I am searching on eBay for bridges and such and I am trying to get the highest quality parts that I can for a reasonable price.

After I complete my first build out of pine and it is a success I'm planning on reusing all the parts on a build with a quality body, whatever that my be (I have searched the forum and everybody has a different option on what wood is the best) I will decide that in the future.

Once again, Thanks for everyones imput on this subject

hey, I would just like to say that thats exactly what i did! :D and that the finished product sounds and looks amazing , imo its well worth practicing on a wood like pine first as we did make mistakes on the way, but thankfully they didnt cost us much. Now im starting the next guitar on which i will use more expensive tonewoods

good luck!!!!!!!

Dang... Wes and Drak jumping on a topic. Reminds me of one of those Godzilla meets Rodan movies. Look out people in the city below :D:DB) . It is sure great having you back around WTM :D .

I have taken a vow of silence on describing the "tone of wood". Totally subjective and too much voodoo/ opinionated BS. At least on electrics. I whole heartedly agree about the importance of stability and being sure you use wood that is well dried and stabalized to your shop. I honestly believe straight grain, clear, dry wood transmits sound more efficiently. On electrics I take no issue with thicker finishes and can see an added degree of protection. I also understand why some people prefer unfilled thinner finishes(generally oil). I don't know squat about Denim Pine or why it is blue. Sometimes fungal infections leave blue color in trees after they die. Kiln drying too agressively can also discolor wood. Mineral content of soil can effect color(Claro Walnut, or Poplar are two good examples-generally one being desirable the other generally less). As long as it is structurally sound and the look appeals it is good.

As far as Pine as a body wood. I think you just have to take it for what it is. It is a lower density wood and is not really hard. It is pretty darn good in terms of stiffness to weight ratio. It is easy to find and you should have no trouble selecting the cleanest choice cuts. Price is low, but honestly who cares. We are taking about 4 bd. ft. of wood X. If common pine is $5, Poplar is $8, Alder is $12, Af.Mah $20, H.Mah$36.... Just use what ever wood you want to try and have fun with your project.

Peace,Rich

Man, there are a LOT of responses to this. If no one's mentioned it, check out zachery guitar. The guy is a bit obnoxious on his site, but he has some nice gits, including what he calls his Home Depot special made out of pine that he grabbed out of a dumpster at Home Depot. :D:D

Sorry I have been on for a few days and haven't replied yet but WOW! what a response!!!

First I would like to clear a few things.

FIRST AND FORMOST THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR IMPUT! AS A NEWBE I APPEREATE ALL AND ANY ADVISE THAT I GET.

I was wondering about pine as I have used it to make everything from shelves to tables and was wondering if it would transfer to my "NEW HOBBIE" of guitar making.

Since this is my first build I know that I am bound to make a few errors in my work so I was planning on using a wood that I had a large supply of, I don't what to sound like a tree hugger but I would rather practice on a wood that is renewable than a hardwood that takes a years to regrow, So if I screwed up a pine body I wouldn't be as upset as if I screwed up a walnut or some other expensive or hard to find hardwood.

I am searching on eBay for bridges and such and I am trying to get the highest quality parts that I can for a reasonable price.

After I complete my first build out of pine and it is a success I'm planning on reusing all the parts on a build with a quality body, whatever that my be (I have searched the forum and everybody has a different option on what wood is the best) I will decide that in the future.

Once again, Thanks for everyones imput on this subject

Let me weigh in on the subject:

I built my first guitar (a Les Paul) out of 2 2x8s

with a 1/2" poplar top. The neck was made from Black Limba (I bought a 3x3x30 blank) and a rosewood fingerboard. This guitar does not have a finish on it. Maybe it will one day.

I used that stuff because I didn't want to start hacking on the Black Limba and quilted maple I had ordered for the "real one", and used this for a practice guitar. Made a couple of mistakes (don't we all) but it turned out pretty well. I had no problems using any of my tools on it, it was pretty easy to work with.

As for the sound, it sounds pretty good, actually. More of a biting tone to it, but very nice cleans. Not overly loud acoustically, but it sure wasn't dead sounding.

I say use it to learn on, you may like it altogether.

I know i'll use it again, on any kind of experimenting I want to do.

Just my two cents.

ooh, that's cool although the big knot would worry me a bit.

I have a feeling that my cheapo Harley Benton jazz bass is made from pine, it certainly looks like it. It sounds no different to my mates Fender acoustically & only a little different through an amp (thanks to the crap pickups).