Pickup Blender

syxxstring

Just wondering if anyones ever tried putting a balance control in place of a volume control?

I have a 2 wire 2 humbucker guitar id like to try this in instead of a selector. It'd be kinda cool to blend rather than switching, plus i do a lot of volume control swells and think this would add to the craziness.

If you used it what actuall worked and what sucked? :D

Just wondering if anyones ever tried putting a balance control in place of a volume control?

I have a 2 wire 2 humbucker guitar id like to try this in instead of a selector. It'd be kinda cool to blend rather than switching, plus i do a lot of volume control swells and think this would add to the craziness.

If you used it what actuall worked and what sucked? :D

Yeah, I've done this before.

You should use a linear taper pot instead of the audio taper ones that typically come in guitar's. Faders are very cool. I mostly have done this on bass guitars. I don't know why lead guitars don't do this more often.

You wire the pot up like this.

-0 Pickup 1 hot

-0 ground (wiper, center tag)

-0 Pickup 2 hot

Wait. Where's the output go? B) I'll have to doodle this one out more.

Jehle,i have the answer!, there are six output lugs, same as an spdt switch.

i used a blens pot from stew-mac in my latest axe, and i am extremely happy with it!

the reason it is not used more often , is that it makes it more difficult to switch between pickup mid song on stage, its a lot easier to just flick a switch.

there are wiring diagrams for it available to download on the stewmac site.

thanks jehle.

ill stop by radio shack today and look.

btw is it you selling the guitar building stuff on ebay with the pics of your guitars in it.

Erm, no...

I'm not selling anything on ebay at the moment. Do you have a link? I suspect that some slag could be using my pics on their auctions. :D

Let me know about that.

-------------

I also thought more about that blender pot. Using the 6 post models like on StewMac will do it. The schematics they show don't really tell me what I need to know. After a little doodle, I remembered how I did this. I had to run the volume pot backwards to avoid grounding the output altogether.

upper pot:

-0 output

-0 pickup 1 hot

-0 ground

lower pot:

-0 ground

-0 pickup 2 hot

-0 output

That's what I was trying to remember before!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to use a Stew-Mac blend pot on my next guitar. It is basically a Gibson/Hamer Maple on Mahogany double cut using old (1979) Gibson HBs. I'll let you know how I like it when it's done. Gonna be a month or so. I liked the idea of adding a little bridge cut to the mellow neck tone (or vice versa) and the SM pot has a detent in the middle so you can have some idea where you are...