Finally Made Some Semihollow Sawdust

davee5

• 4 weeks later...

Well my apologies for not doing more progressive updates, but I've been cranking away and forgetting to post. Gotta meet a March 1 deadline w/ finishing sooooo... I finished the body last night and hope to get eh neck done by Monday (well Sunday, then I gotta travel to Japan for work).

So before I delivered the body to my super-secrert pro guitar finisher (yeah, I outsourced, but know your weakness...) I took a few shots to share with you guys. Enjoy.

FinishedBody.jpg

And a few details:

The Backside, some nice striped mahogany with very light figuring in places

The Control Cover, freehanded with a dremel, then bound and put back in place

The Control Holes and edge/f-hole binding

The Recessed Audio Jack Hole

The Upper Horn

And a little preview of work in progress:

The Homebrew Ebony Pickup Rings, the Rough-Cut Neck w/ Matching Koa Bookmatch Veneer

I should have everything back from the finisher around Feb 25, so look for completed pics, assembled and shiny, around March 1. Meanwhile I hope my fingers heal up from all teh abuse non-stop buildin ghas dished out on them. Next time, less using bare razor blades for detail work...

- Dave

:D :D I want one...

It's awesome to see this thread surface again, and I can't think of one solitary complaint... other than why it's not mine. I really REALLY like this one.

How did you end up getting the pickup rings so crisp, what tools did you use to make them? Also, and this could be a product of the picture, but in your first pic, are there metal inserts where the screws for the pickup rings go?

Keep it up!

Brass inserts for all threaded components, wood screws are hacks in my engineering world. Ebony drings were made on a benchtop milling machine my roomie bought a while back to convert to CNC (I live in a house full of geniuses, but I pay rent so they let me stay).

Here's a pic of the mill being used to counterbore the neck holes:

Counterbore.jpg

The mill was also used to make the truss rod slot, thin the bookmatched peices to koa to veneer thickness (a delicate operation!), and drill all the holes straight, and dead on.

-Dave

Dave, Your guitar is looking really great. The original design drawings looked great, but the product is looking amazing.

Looks like you are proving me right; To quote myself from your design topic-

I think you have to account for his level of planning here. He has taken the time to do his research, and is looking for the right parts and right tools for the task. I agree it is going to be easier for him to tell if he could have used a different tool or what have you after this build, but he is trying to get the right tools in his hands for this one. He stated he has woodworking experience, and understands tools(and is buying accordingly). He could spend time reasearching other places to get parts(for less) and maybe save a couple hundred dollars (what is his time worth, and would it be better spent focusing on the work?).

As far as a first guitar not having the potential to be a great piece of work that is very well built. That is hogwash. It totally depends on the person. I think you could say every future build has a better chance of improvement, but that doesn't mean a first has to be bad. I think you will also see he has done some budget minded shopping for some bits and pieces, and note he is cutting his own templates (so there is some value added saving going on). Honestly I don't see any tools or parts that seem over the top or out of line. I said in my first reply this is not the way I go about things (not right or wrong), but each person works a little different.

I see many new builders that develop a list of "holy grail" specs(usually based on what they have read and little or no understanding) and say they are going to make the guitar that does it all. Then start making pictures and sketches (not plans that could be built to). This guy is focussed on solid planning and drawings, good templates, tools to do the job, and quality parts(but nothing out of line). I would bet this fellas first may be everybit as good as many guys thrid or fourth(maybe tenth if they learn the hard way).

Peace,Rich

Peace,Rich

Inlays aren't done yet, have to do the neck this week, but I have some plans for the headstock to match a little logo/symbol I used when I custm bulit my racing roadbike (see the website below, then checkout the headbadge link) plus perhaps my signature at the top.

For the neck I'm going with the gears idea, using black MOP for the gears with white MOP for the dot centers in appropriate locations. The actual "black" shell has a very cool metallic look to it that's not as subtle as I initially anticipated, just the right amount of flashiness. Gonna look slick, if I do say so myself, provided I don't botch it.

I really liked your f-hole concept and sketched up a few ideas, but none of them looked right, a little too much like that one set of Taylor inlays, "Cindy" I think. Then I tried the f-hole shape with a gear center and it looked like little daisies with big petals... forget that. I may not be as metal as most of this board seems to be, but daisies do not belong on my guitar. The gears seemed easy enough to do and simple/tasteful.

-Dave

Edited by davee5

Thanks for all the kind words, guys, and I'll have some neck shots up for you (hopefully) by Sunday. Neck's coming along fine, gotta bind it tomorrow and then inlay, level, and fret on Saturday. Want to get it done before I leave Sunday for Japan, gotta pay for this project somehow, and that somehow involves too much travel.

Rich:

Dave, Your guitar is looking really great. The original design drawings looked great, but the product is looking amazing.

Looks like you are proving me right; To quote myself from your design topic-

Now I hope to prove myself right from that same topic, one post later....

thanks for all the comments and encouragement, I look forward to eventually devastating the naysayers in a GOTM competition in a few months.

It'll probably be in the March competition since it won't have been finished by then (literally finished, woodwork will be done), but I may wait for a month when the field is light... not that I'll need it. (HA) :D

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a while since my last update, but it's about 3 hours of work from done done done. Unfortunately for all of you I left my camera in Japan on my last business trip and won't have it back for a months or so (leaving in a week for a looooong trip).

Anyhow, here's a little teaser, I won't reveal the whole deal until the first GOTM when I'm in the country and have pics (probably May competition, maybe April). No pictures of the neck fretted as my roomie, who'se camera I borrowed, is out on his own business trip with said Canon. But I will say this: it looks real real good. I get giddy everytime I look at it. I'm ridiculously happy that my first build has gone well.

On to the pictures!

horn_finished.jpg

The Back

Headstock mid-finishing

The "Evans" inlay detail

The hands inlay detail

note the little patch of bloodwood on one of the knuckles on the lower hand? Well it's a nod to the fact that during one of my tool setups on the desktop mill a tool slipped and took off a sizeable portion of my left-index knuckle. It's got 8 sutures in there, and here's proof for those who don't get queasy (graphic stitches shot, but not too close-up for general audiences).

The neck's slight volute

The upper f-hole and horn

More pics of the neck, fretted, bound, and with black MOP fingerboard dots + black mop outlined in silver ala-Myka side-dotts later. But the whole shebang you'll have to wait for, so enjoy the teasers!

-Dave

Pfft. That's not the least bit attractive and I'm not the least bit jealous.

Just kidding... it looks fantastic! I'm impressed. (And jealous!)

Seriously, it looks amazing. The detail is remarkable with the binding and trim and everything.

Edited by jnewman

Wow!

Looks spectacular

• 2 months later...