milling machine

westhemann

hey, would something like this work well for accurate routing?

someone suggested that this would be a good kind of all around tool for accurate routing and as a drill press also,and i really think it might be just the thing.i figure lgm,with his machine shop bacground might be able to tell me about this tool,but maybe some of the rest of you are familiar,too?

you might be better off buying a 2 way adjustable vise for your existing drill press sticking a board with a spine nailed to the board in the vise then holding your guitar to the board with double stick tape and/or clamps, but again, don't you need like 15000rpm to use router bits on hardwoods? I've often wondered about putting a router bit in my drill press kinda of like a poor mans pin router... but how many rpm's are required for routing wood?

so does this vise doesn't it??? it has to 2 wheels on either side in addition to the vise knob, once you get everything rigged up you have 3" of travel in any direction from center, or do i not get what you mean at all? :D

I was looking at that. It would be great for milling truss rod channels if the length of travel permitted it to move that far. I didnt see the travel length in the specs

a smaller one by the same companytravels 9" so i think you would probably have to move it and reclamp for the truss rod

derek...you are right that vise will move the same way...but 3" may not be enough...and i am not sure about the tolerances.

maybe a neck pocket or pickup cavity, if you're creative, i'll have to go take a look at it in the store and measure for myself. but there's no way it could do a truss rod if that's what you wanted it for :D

i like the idea of the milling machine for neck pockets(as if i will ever make a neck pocket) or control cavitys or pickup cavities...or even the truss rod,if you were careful when resetting....

the thing is i don't use templates for my control cavities...i make them different depending on the controls i use and the shape of the guitar,so i think for "freehand" routing of those caviteis it might be cool...i just want to know if i am overlooking a negative..or if someone has one and it sucks

Hi Wes,

I was looking into one of these and they are to small to do any guitar work as far as I could see.I have seen some for this work and the cheapest was $2600 and completely motorized so you could do CNC work with it.

If you are still wanting to buy this machine there are alot of CNC groups on yahoo that have detailed instructions on how to rebuild this into a CNC machine and hook it up to your PC and let CAD take care of the rest .I would let a machinist adjust it so you have a proper zero point otherwise you will and up with a piece of scrap wood in the end

We just got one of those at home but methinks the father won't let me near the thing with wood. Should be able to get round him though.

Question: what are the advantage of using a milling machine for guitar making?

I'm a bit tired so that probably why I can't figure it out.

routing straight lines... no worries of the bit grabbing to much wood and your router flying off course, cause the wood moves via turning handles

how are you planning on holding the guitar to that metal plate wes?

routing straight lines... no worries of the bit grabbing to much wood and your router flying off course, cause the wood moves via turning handles

how are you planning on holding the guitar to that metal plate wes?

i wanted to bolt a pice of wood to the support table big enough to properly support a body,and i would probably drill holes all in it that i could run spool clamps through.(holes in the wooden support,not the guitar)

I used to use a fairly big CNC mill in a factory I used to work in. All the had was a sheet of wood, with a block screwed to it and a clamp device thing opposite the block, just far enough away that the wood to be mill could fit easily until you closed the clamp. Very simple but worked rather well.