You Are Trapped On A Deserted Island!

bvalentine

The Professor has rigged up a generator running off of coconut milk. Behold, Gilligan stumbles on the remains of a long abandoned hobby-hack shed containing the following items:

Table Saw

Band Saw

2 Small Hand Saws

Skill Saw

Drill Press

Hand Drill

Router w/table

Assorted Wood Chisels

A Rasp

Plenty of Clamps

A Hand Power-Sander

A Good Soldering Set

And a tool box of basic home tools (screwdrivers,hammer,sockets,utility knife, etc).

You are commissioned to make a bad-arsed Telecaster copy for the Native Island's Chief or you and your crew will become Thanksgiving dinner!! (your are supplied with appropriate guitar wood, hardware, pickups, etc).

QUESTION #1: You can have FOUR (and only FOUR) router bits, which ones do you choose (be specific)?

QUESTION #2: You can have FOUR (and only FOUR) additional tools besides the one's mentioned above (be specific). Each of these 4 tools can NOT individually cost over $50.00.

Note: Mary-Ann thinks you're hot. Ginger is jealous.

:D

QUESTION #1: You can have FOUR (and only FOUR) router bits, which ones do you choose (be specific)?

I'd choose from Routerbits.com:

#2006 - 1/2" shank, 1/4" roundover bit (for body edge)

K41 - 1/4" Shank, 1/2" cutting length template guided cutter (for cavities/pickups)

#3023 - 1/2" Shank, 2" cutting length template guided cutter (for outside of the body)

and forth, from StewMac:

Binding Router Bit set, for some fancy binding.

QUESTION #2: You can have FOUR (and only FOUR) additional tools besides the one's mentioned above (be specific). Each of these 4 tools can NOT individually cost over $50.00.

I'd buy tools like a fret file, nut slotting saw, nut files and radiusing blocks. You have every conventional power tool I think you'd need, and then some.

Bits: 3/4" diameter 1.5" tall template bit, round-over bit (to the chief's liking of size), stewmac's truss slotting bit, and maybe another less tall template bit as per the first choice.

Tools: Rasp/Heavy file for neck shaping, Radius block (which I'd then cut a piece off to MAKE a fret press), fret file (cause if it don't play well, it ain't bad arsed no matter HOW it looks), dremel set (cause if push came to shuv you COULD... VERY carefully, do both the inlay shaping and cavity routing with a dremel alone...).

Chris

PS: don't need nut slotting or fret slotting... cause I'm assume the chief is providing hardware/wood from stewmac, so I can request a pre-slotted board and nut :D )

1/8" wide straight router bit (stiffening rods, size of bit and rod will vary on project)

1/4" wide straight router bit (truss rod)

3/4" wide straight router bit

Roundover bit specified to the project (will vary, I use a 3/4" for my basses)

Nut files

Hand plane

Microplane

A rough rasp or 4 in 1 rasp

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Calum_Barrow you needs yer planes. so for tools I'd bring a bailey plane, a straight spokeshave, a curved spokeshave and a scraper. as for router bits: 6mm diameter bit for routing for truss rod, template follower bit, a large roundover bit, and a 12mm diameter bit for cleaning those larger areas.

Eesh. That list has way, way more tools than I've ever used on a single guitar, especially a tele!

Anyway, router bits:

- 1/8" downcut spiral, carbide (carbon fibre rods)

- 1/4" downcut spiral, carbide (maybe upcut spiral), truss rods, misc. Can also double as bit for pickup cavities by riding the shank against a template.

- 1/2" shaft template bit, 3/4" diameter, nice 'n big: various stuff.

- 1/2" roundover bit. Or maybe 3/8".

4 tools:

- Stanley or Record #4 1/2 or #5 (pre-WW II if possible)

- A good quality 18"-24" straightedge (you cannot build a guitar without a straightede.)

- A good ruler (1 meter long, inches on one side, metric on the other) (and you damn well need a good ruler)

- A set of scrapers

I just like how this question was asked, much more entertaining then the common ones..

Id use a roundover bit, a template guide, truss rod sized, and probably another straight bit without the bearing.

tools, welder tip files(WAY cheaper then nut files), spokeshave, a drum sander for the drill press, and some sort of hand plane.

plus with all the extra cash from the welder tips and the fact that Ive spent less then $50 for all 4 items Id get even more, but thats because im greedy.

• 1 month later...
The Professor has rigged up a generator running off of coconut milk. Behold, Gilligan stumbles on the remains of a long abandoned hobby-hack shed containing the following items:

Table Saw

Band Saw

2 Small Hand Saws

Skill Saw

Drill Press

Hand Drill

Router w/table

Assorted Wood Chisels

A Rasp

Plenty of Clamps

A Hand Power-Sander

A Good Soldering Set

And a tool box of basic home tools (screwdrivers,hammer,sockets,utility knife, etc).

You are commissioned to make a bad-arsed Telecaster copy for the Native Island's Chief or you and your crew will become Thanksgiving dinner!! (your are supplied with appropriate guitar wood, hardware, pickups, etc).

Note: Mary-Ann thinks you're hot. Ginger is jealous.

:D

Fret saw

1/4" straight bit

patterm bit top bearing

pattern bit bottom bearing

Jointer Plane ( anybody use a hand plane any more)

A palm tree body hummmm???

Woodenspoke