Myka Inspired Neck Carve Jig

jay5

Kammo1,

You can buy a 1" radius cutter from www.wealden.com postage free. The cutter below cost me £46.80. This price included a flush bearing addition.

router_cutter.jpg

I`ve just seen a jig like this on the YouTube web site that displayed video of a jazz archtop guitar being made. The only diffrence being that the neck was routed in a jig on it`s side. I rather like this idea, as it allows more of the neck to be routed without the peghead or neck heel restricting the amount of neck I can rout as they hit the base of my over head router setup.

Hey Bobz thanks for that info on the router cutter and that is reasonably priced so I am going to order one right now, I was looking at getting one from Trend,Freud and Titman but the prices were expensive but I guess at the end of the day you pay for what you get and provided you don't flog the cutter to death it should last. I would like to see the YouTube link if you can post it and get any more ides on the jig But Jay5's jig looks awesomme, again many thanks bro.

Kammo, search Jimmy Foster on Youtube and you'll find a few videos. The jig he uses can be seen in part one and is exactly like David's. Cherokee, I think the 690 router is a 1.75HP unit, no? Also, regarding your question about using the jig for fender style necks, as long as youre headstock support caould adjust to the right angle I see no reason why not. That being said, I used the same bit to do the back of a tele neck today but opted simply to use it in my router table, worked great! The grizzly bit cut very well in the maple, still ran it about 25% below full speed though. I'll try to get a pic or two before monday. Thanks again!

Kammo, for the tele neck I simply ran the guide bearing against the neck. I did reattach the neck template that I used to rout the neck profile to the top. On the last two passes only about half of the bearing contacts the neck (the fretboard at that point) so the template just acts a a little more support on those last passes. One thing this method doesnt give me is a thickness taper but since this neck is gonna' be a bigun' it works out perfectly. If you look at the G&L shop tour you can see their "neck carver" which is essentially a long routertable with stops front and back and a big roter bit, exactly how I did it. I imagine that theyre are many other builders who do fender style necks that take a similar approach. I will try to get some pics up for you guys. Thanks again!