A Bunch Of Soloists

MzI

Been working on a number of guitars as of late. Mainly soloists. This batch as of right now is all bodies mainly for the purpose of getting more practice and to learn etc. Most of the wood being used is stuff I had laying around. Specs for each one I am working on will come in later posts when I get a change to update my website and what not. Also I havent really set a time frame as to when these will be finished due to the fact that I got my first tutition bill this month. So it may be a while. Anyways heres the most current one I am working on.

MzI

Also feel free to check out my new website www.MzIGuitars.com. Im new to the whole website creating so be nice.

DSCN2384.jpg

Spalted Maple top with a Honduran Mahogany Back. My bandsaw is currently giving me problems which is why there are still some saw marks in the one side, I need to run the whole thing through the thickness sander to clean it up which will be soon.

Spalted Maple top, Honduran Mahogany Back

22 fret, Set Neck, 24 3/4 scale

2 hum

T.O.M. w/strings thru

Vol, Tone, 3 Way

Edited by MzI

Heres another one not nearly as nice of figure but the top wood came from the same tree.

MzI

DSCN2354.jpg

I think when I get stain or oil or whatever happens to be the finish that some nice figure will pop out.

Specs:

Spalted Maple top, 3 piece Northern Ash Back

22 fret, Set Neck, 24 3/4 scale

2 hum

T.O.M. w/strings thru

Vol, Tone, 3 Way

Edited by MzI

• 3 years later...

Digging this one up from the grave. Getting close to the finish point on one of the soloists. Should be done in another week or two. Still have to finish the truss rod channel and the channel for the carbon fiber rods. After that fretwork and carving the neck, and gluing it in.

Mock up with parts on the body.

DSCN0023.jpg

Back

DSCN0027.jpg

Headstock

DSCN0026.jpg

Adding binding to the fretboard

DSCN0024.jpg

Edited by MzI

• 3 weeks later...

Little more progress. Fretboard is glued on and fretted. Neck is carved and glued onto the body. Need to clean up the neck a bit more along with the back of the headstock. Frets need to be leveled still then I can set my bridge placement and drill the holes for strings through. Headstock inlay is done but no pictures yet. I am still not 100% sold on the volute on the back of the neck. The maple wenge maple looks weird and may come off.

And yes, the neck is straight, optical illusion as the guitar is leaning back and to the side.

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0092.jpg

Edited by MzI

I am still not 100% sold on the volute on the back of the neck. The maple wenge maple looks weird and may come off.

You might consider taking another 16th" off the back of the headstock and volute and adding a wenge backstrap. It's probably going to take another wenge accent elsewhere on the guitar to balance it and make it look like it belongs though.

SR