Guitar Of The Month February

Guitar of the Month February  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ron - I liked the cleanliness of Rons acoustic and the snakewoods beautifull stuff but i cant help thinking it would be even nicer with a nice dark wood for the sides and back - just my preference.

Fatalities - Its plywood ... im a snob... sorry! I do like the shape though.

Mtc - i like what you have done with the woods and the fretboard but the burst really takes away from the look of the guitar IMHO

Skelf - Whats not to love. Great wood, clean build and you just know its gonna sound great. I am still never sure about visible spokewheels on the end of necks.

Digthemlows - for a first (or even 21st)its brilliant, you were very brave to try fanned frets on your first ever guitar. Great work.

Marcovis - absolutely stunning! The quilt is gorgeous and the neck join looks like all LP's should be made that way. Personally i would like to see a softer burst.

Telenator - its a nice take on the rick design, i much prefer your inlays over the rick originals and i bet the walnut and maple combo sounds great

Shadowcaster - Its a nice idea but from the (too small) pictures it doesnt really convey what you were going for, i might have been tempted to paint the 'running man' onto the body. I also dont think the headstock shape goes very well withthe crazy body.

Lots of nice work! I like to see more experimental shapes, and there's a lot of that this month.

I usually lean toward beginner builds, and I'm a big fan of the Digthemlows bass, but that Skelf bass is absolutely incredible (I'm a guitar guy, but the basses really struck me this month). So my vote (somewhat reluctantly) goes to Skelf.

Two other thoughts I had on this month's voting:

1- I'm not a big fan of mismatched wood cavity covers, but every instrument with the rear cavity visible in the GOTM thread had one (even the skelf).

2- It was cool to see an acoustic in there, and the fretboard on that thing is out of this world cool.

I don't usually speak up at these things, normally just vote.

But I'm sorry....I just cannot cast a vote for a guitar whose pole pieces have been photoshopped out. :D

Good eyes i didn't even notice. Can I change my vote? :D Ah its just a friendly competiton but really is there really a need to do that kinda thing?

I voted for me (I felt obligated :D )........Although for true craftmanship Skelf has one helluva bass going there! All great builds for sure! Everyone on this board was kind and helpful when I asked, for that I thank you all! I played the hell out of my bass last week, and I can't tell you how cool it is to play an instrument you built for yourself (I'm sure most of you know, but for anyone thinking about it, GO FOR IT)

bl1.12.07action1.jpg

I didn't vote for the Marcovis guitar just because Mike is my brother. I had a chance to play it at NAMM and it rocks, sustain for days!! The WB custom pickups are second to none and they perfectly accent the natural resonances of the guitar. This thing is a monster. Jazz, rock, metal, country, blues, jerk-off shredding...this guitar can handle anything. :D

I hope you guys realize that the RickenRocker photos did not have the pole pieces Photoshopped out. I got a good laugh out of that one!

I took the photos at two different times. Once with the Antiquity Firebird p'ups (no pole pieces) and then later with the Gibson mini-humbuckers.

Anyway, many compliments to some real fine builds. Skelf's awesome bass almost had me but then I saw the inlay work on Marcovis' LP and had to give him my vote.

As you can tell by my RickenRocker build, I like guitars that take the original and go one better. In fact, that LP project has inspired me to do one of my own with a 25 1/2" scale. I have never gotten along well with Les Pauls because I don't like the shorter scale.

Good luck to all. I'm honored just to be in your company!

Well I'm almost afraid of being attacked for what I'm going to say but.. I voted for The Fatalities' guitar, Fiend. I really liked it, it reminds me of this Moser I'm a huge fan of, and I think he's got a lot of guts to post a plywood guitar here in the contest. No matter what most people might think, I've found certain plywood bodies to produce excellent sound and be part of amazing guitars. I even own a guitar made from a plywood body, and the tone might not be what everyone loves, but i find it to be exquisite. Amazing work by everyone who entered, especially the rickenrocker and that LP(gorgeous!), and I can't wait till its my turn (once I finish my guitar)!

I hope you guys realize that the RickenRocker photos did not have the pole pieces Photoshopped out. I got a good laugh out of that one!

My bad...there's some kind of funky pixelation going on there, you can't see the B & E strings over top of the pickups, maybe its just the compression codec.

One very nice guitar, you should be pretty happy with it.

Edited by erikbojerik

I've been wanting to vote for Skelf for a while now. I like the shape and the craftsmanship looks top notch, but the woods are just too fancy for me. How about a plain black limba body? Pretty please?

The LP was just awesome... a tour de force in custom LP's. It got my vote.

Fatalities: what's the finish on that thing? I read through your thread, but I couldn't find any info. It looks nice now, but judging by the marks on the headstock, it doesn't seem very durable. Also, did you build the whole thing or just the body?

I really wanted to vote for Ron's all spruce guitar... the LP narrowly beat it out. What an interesting concept! I'd love to know how that thing sounds. I take it the neck is spruce, too? The only qualm I have is that the wood seems kind of... well, dull. Ever consider a tinted finish or some type of burst?

Digthemlows: fanned frets on the first build? Awesome. Is this your first fanned instrument? I've had my Dingwall for over a year now and it's fantastic. Once you go fanned, you're not going to want to go back. Congrats, you must be pretty darn happy with it!

Edited by fookgub

Man, this is the hardest month I've ever voted in...my top three choices came down to:

skelf - bass: Man, what a great combo of woods and just beautiful craftsmanship. I loved this one.

Digthelows - The Elephanned Prototype: I can't believe this is your first one...great job! The contrast between the walnut and maple is awesome. And the live pics are great too! I am not a fan of fanned frets (no pun intended), but this one is a beauty.

Marcovis - LP: Wow, stunning LP. One of the best I've ever seen put together. I love the finish on it.

Well, I think I'm gonna have to go with the Elephanned Prototype. It was really a tie between the two basses, but digthemlows won me over with the live pics (I love when players build and actually play their instruments) and the fact that this was his first. And...well...I just love walnut and maple :D.

All in all, great work this month by everyone (I loved that acoustic, ron).

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Fookgub - i built the body but bought the neck because i didnt have the equipment for that.

i used a matt black car paint. not many coats thats why it scratches.

thanks for the 2 votes!! YAY

lol guess im gunna have to wait a few more years to get GOTM.

cant compete with all the pros

4 days left.. VOTE FIEND! lol

only bad thing i hate about it is i cant swing it around.

As the guy who is playing the Marcovis guitar daily now.... She gets my vote! I love this guitar. It plays like a dream and it looks absulutly stunning in person. I call her the "Lusty Pauline". This guitar is amazing. The workmanship that Mike did on her is just awesome.

Will B.

Congrats to all. An interesting compilation of design, use of wood, finishes. Vive' la difference.

To me, it narrowed down quickly to the work of Skelf (lovely), Marcovis (classic) and Telenator (different).

Ultimately, I went for the Ric.