tools of the trade

YDoesGodMockMeSo

Is this all thats needed to make a guitar?

http://dremel.com/productdisplay/tool_kit_...02&Color=99CCFF

I think we have a Dremel ripoff, not sure. I'll have to look.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide...PRODUCT_ID=3157

18k Rpm ...i dont think it'll be useful much?..perhaps polishing or something/

I dunno about how to cut the outer shape out, I used a jigsaw right now on a piece of plywood w/ a drawing on it....i made it a lil over sized in order to sand down and use as a template for when i get the real wood.

I tried using a Ryobi SpeedSaw

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/product....cat=2&toolcat=4

but the supplied bit (which looks to me to just be ar egular drill bit)...broke in half. I was using the 1/4" plywood bit. Looking for a replacement, i came across a package for a 1/8" drill bit and it mentioned using cutting oil (but on metals) is cutting oil necessary for wood?

Also it said 'plywood bit", what (if anything) would I use on like alder or poplar or mahogony etc?

Or should I just grin and bear it and take it to a shop and have them cut out the outer shape? And if so, what would I have to do to prepare the wood for it to be easy for them? like...take the template? or ACAD file? or drawing onto the wood? I'd really rather do all the work myself (at least on the 1st one), but if its just not possible..then i'll take it to a pro.

The pickup routing and all that stuff, SHOULD be able to be done w/ the dremel-like tool right? Maybe the speed saw if i learn how to use it w/ breaking bits ? :D

the speed saw i have found to be useless for guitar building.my first guitar i used a jigsaw,dremel for routing,and alot of sandpaper and work.

plus a hand drill.i bought the neck

do yourself a favor and if you do it that way choose a soft wood like alder or basswoods.trust me you do not want to sand the edges back square on maple after your jigsaw leans around corners.

So real router instead of dremel for routing the cavities. Gotcha.

prolly use that B&D Wizard for cleaning up / polishing whatever.

Could I use that for fret slotting? I doubt it...huh?

I have a handheld sander also. I guess i can use that for overall sanding.

And a smaller battery powered sander.

I have a jigsaw. I guess that would be my best bet for cutting out the general shape of a guitar? And then use the hand held sander to sand it down to the right shape?

Would you recommend using a plywood template? or glueing down a paper outline (from ACAD, thanks to AlexVDL)?

i trace the outline in pencil.careful with the handheld power sanders.they have a soft base(most of them)and they will leave your guitar with rounded edges.you are better off with a handheld sanding block

i wouldn't use that for fret slotting.that is pretty critical.you should probably get a miter box and the proper fret saw.

but i have no actual experience in neck making,i am just studying up on it and i am working on my first 3 necks at the same time......maybe i will be finished with one before next year :D

i'd say go with alder or basswood (but makesure you have a dusk mask for basswood) poplar is amazingly hard for a light wood. i'd also say, take your time with the jigsaw.... as it will be your best bet, and get a mini router base for the dremel if you decide not to get a router, although you should.