220v Single Phase Extension Cord

low end fuzz

so i need an extension cord; tht for the most part dosent exist!

my buddy wants to get together and make one, but i dont know where to find the parts ad hes not sure, and his time is scarce, so ya, any help on where to find the proper cord or pieces would be very helpful; my buddy suggested homo depot but they dont seem to know nothing exept parts for a dryer; and the only 220v cord the auto princess has is 50A;

help please

The 220v plugs over here are NEMA standard - different than UK or Europe.

Exactly what type/amperage receptacle are you plugging into? 20 amp? Straight blades or twist-lock? It makes a difference. Home improvement stores usually only carry 30A (dryer) and 50A (range) plugs, but you might get lucky.

This is what a 15A 250V NEMA non-locking plug looks like: here

In the States, 220V extension cords are not easy to find and are very expensive (except for the standard electric range and air conditioner cords). Home Depot DOES have all of the necessary parts to make your own -- that's where I got the parts for mine. You need to figure out what plugs and cable you need, because there are a lot of combinations in that line. If you are buying the twist-lock NEMA connectors, be prepared to drop some cash. It's not too bad if you don't need a lot of amperage though.

If you are looking at Home Depot, stay away from the extension cord area. You won't find anything there. You will find the connectors with the other plugs and switches on the electrical isle. The cable you will have to buy seperately ... probably by the foot, depending on what type you are looking for. The good, flexible, round, rubber-sheathed cable will run you around a buck a foot.

You could also find pre-made cables or parts at on-line vendors such as McMaster-Carr or Grainger.

The 220v plugs over here are NEMA standard - different than UK or Europe.

Exactly what type/amperage receptacle are you plugging into? 20 amp? Straight blades or twist-lock? It makes a difference. Home improvement stores usually only carry 30A (dryer) and 50A (range) plugs, but you might get lucky.

This is what a 15A 250V NEMA non-locking plug looks like: here

Your getting the correct information here. You need to know what the NEMA # the receptacle is (the one in the wall) and the NEMA # for the cord cap on the piece of equipment is. These are standard configurations that relate to voltage and ampacity of the circuit(there is also a twist loc configuration used for some equipment to keep the connector in place). As for the cord itself. You need to buy the correct size for the circuit(15amp=14gauge, 20amp=12gauge,30amp=10gauge,40 or 50amp= 8 gauge these are all copper conductors). The type of cable you are looking for is most likely SO cord which has a heavy duty rubber jacket. If you are running a long distance you may need to size the conductors up to accomodate voltage drop. Be sure that you don't hook a piece of equipment that is rated for a lower amperage circuit up to a higher ampacity circuit(Say a 30 amp tool up to a 50 amp wall circuit). The circuit breaker will not protect the equipment correctly. This type of mismatch is why we use different receptacles and cordcaps(to make sure someone doesn't mix up the circuit protection.).

Peace,Rich