HUGE sanding disc

westhemann

Problem is speed - if you've used a disc sander you'll have noticed that the edges cut much faster than the center - they travel faster. A bigger disc would make this exponentially worse - a guitar sized sanding disc would cut faster at the edges, and tend to round the surface of the guitar. Also, a disc with that much surface area would be very easy to stall - unless you beefed up the motor, which would leave you with a new problem of how to hold onto the guitar!

In all my time looking at guitar building and woodwork sites, I've never seen a super-sized sanding disc, and I'm sure there is a reason - IMO you'd do much better to invest your time in making a drum sander.

Ok, I assumed you meant to sand the whole face or back of the guitar. :D

However, I don't see the advantages of a bigger sander if it's just for sanding the edges of the body - Most guitars are curved, so you rarely need to sand large flat areas on the sides. On the rare occasions that you do, a belt sander is much better suited since it sands with the grain, and doesn't create crossgrain scratches. As far as I can see the only real difference with a mega-sized sanding disc is you need bigger bits of sandpaper, and it takes up more room!

Eitherway, I'd be interested to hear if it works out...

Been watchin reruns of Home Improvement have you?

Arh Arh Arh!

i knew that's exactly what you were going to say before i even looked at what you wrote brian! :D

but i agree

ARH ARH ARH!!!