Introducing The New Zachary Ikea Model.

OMFG

Give up now, we can't compete, even as hobbyists, its just not worth it anymore... and for only $1500.00.

This amazingly figured top is from Ikea Furnishings. I bought one of their unfinished end tables for $15 and I can get three guitar tops from it. What a shame that they would use such amazing "tone-wood" for their cheap furniture. Its a sacrilege.
The un-enlightened would call this amazing figure 'knots'

kill me now...(and thank my wife for this entertaining find)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the most interesting guitars I ever built and it is also one of the best.

The action is great, the tone is unbelievable, the neck is super fast, tuning stability is as good as it gets. In short, everything just worked out great on this guitar. This amazingly figured top is from Ikea Furnishings. I bought one of their unfinished end tables for $15 and I can get three guitar tops from it. What a shame that they would use such amazing "tone-wood" for their cheap furniture. Its a sacrilege.

I guess Zachary also attended the Rogets Thesaurus School of Advertising too! :D

This is one of the most interesting guitars I ever built and it is also one of the best.

The action is great, the tone is unbelievable, the neck is super fast, tuning stability is as good as it gets. In short, everything just worked out great on this guitar. This amazingly figured top is from Ikea Furnishings. I bought one of their unfinished end tables for $15 and I can get three guitar tops from it. What a shame that they would use such amazing "tone-wood" for their cheap furniture. Its a sacrilege.

I guess Zachary also attended the Rogets Thesaurus School of Advertising too! :D

His opinions are no better or worse than the opinions of others floating on the web. This is a big world with many thoughts and opinions.

I just wish everybody would agree with me. Life would be simple. :D

Oh man :D . Not another Zachory topic. I hate even seeing His name or Romans. They are the source of so much mis-information and marketing hype. It seems to generate a lot of confusion for newer builders. I hope this does not drag on for 20 some odd pages. Every link to his site will just make it that much harder for someone trying to learn how to build.

Rich

Well, you know, I have this butcher block from Ikea that I've had for a few years....it's huge, really thick--like 6 cm. Lots of laminated pieces in there, nice and tight, like only a machine can make. I've often thought it'd make an excellent body for a guitar. It's birch, I think.

I could care less about Zachary's silly hype, it just blows right past me like my kids' farts. I really like a lot of his design ideas and choices. He often makes guitars out of found wood too, I gather. Of course, I have no idea how his guitars play, but I'm assuming after all the guitars he's built, he probably gets it right more times than he gets it wrong. And if nothing else, he's an excellent photographer.

Ok, liking his designs, sure, you can go ahead and do that since that's just aesthetics. But PLEASE do not get pulled in by, and trust his building techniques, quality, etc. Look at the picture of that guitar you liked, the heel shots look like he didn't even sand it before he slap a finish on it?! Not to mention the hideous knot in the maple neck.

Chris

Ok, liking his designs, sure, you can go ahead and do that since that's just aesthetics. But PLEASE do not get pulled in by, and trust his building techniques, quality, etc. Look at the picture of that guitar you liked, the heel shots look like he didn't even sand it before he slap a finish on it?! Not to mention the hideous knot in the maple neck.

Chris

Which guitar? I don't actually like any of his guitars (his own designs, I mean), I think they're pretty much downright ugly. What I like are a lot of the details -- I like the contrasting wood he adds into his neck bolt inserts, and I like it where he leaves off the back plates and rounds the edges. I like it that some of his guitars have knots in the wood, and there's even a few with nail holes. Things like that, more than the overall guitar.

I'll say one thing though--for most of his guitars, he puts up a couple dozen extreme closeup, high resolution photos. And notice that he never paints his guitars--it's all just the plain wood. So he's not trying to hide anything. Give him credit for that.

But really, they're just solidbody guitars and he's built a few dozen of them now...and let's face it, it's really difficult to screw up a solidbody guitar to the point where it's unplayable.

What makes it worth $1500?? If that's true, I got some beautifully grained walnut formica top sandwiching a straight, glue-impregnanted wood product with awesome tone that I can make four incredible gits with the best action sound and playabilty. You only need Pledge to keep them up and are very ding resistant. It's here in my office; I'll sell these custom hand crafted gits to anyone who's willing to part with the cash for a mere $3000 each! Your friends will be amazed at your stupidity! :D:D

What makes it worth $1500??

That's my only problem with the whole deal. I have nothing against trying new ideas or using reclaimed lumber or alternative materials (or even "cheap" materials"), and I even like the ikea guitar, but to call it a feature and charge $1500 is ridiculous, especially since he's telling the customer that he spent nothing on materials. I know that time is worth money as well, but the end product still has to be worth the price. I wouldn't mind owning that guitar, but I wouldn't pay much for it, cuz it looks cheap.

Well didn't those pallet guys want $10,000 for an acoustic guitar made from a pallet? I thought that was a little much also, but what do I know? Zachary using found or strange wood is the thing that I like so much....anyone can order stuff. If you go out and search for and find something really cool, that is very..well cool.

What makes it worth $1500??

That's my only problem with the whole deal. I have nothing against trying new ideas or using reclaimed lumber or alternative materials (or even "cheap" materials"), and I even like the ikea guitar, but to call it a feature and charge $1500 is ridiculous, especially since he's telling the customer that he spent nothing on materials. I know that time is worth money as well, but the end product still has to be worth the price. I wouldn't mind owning that guitar, but I wouldn't pay much for it, cuz it looks cheap.

One thing.... $1500 is $500 cheaper than his 'base price'. The fact he sells EVERY guitar he finishes, within a couple weeks, says to me he is on to something. Can you say the same thing about your guitars?? Sure, you may not like it, but someone out there is sick of the usual mahogany/maple/alder/ash combinations, and will fall in love with that guitar. He is making a living doing something you can only dream of, good luck to him.

...... The fact he sells EVERY guitar he finishes, within a couple weeks, says to me he is on to something. Can you say the same thing about your guitars?? Sure, you may not like it, but someone out there is sick of the usual mahogany/maple/alder/ash combinations, and will fall in love with that guitar. He is making a living doing something you can only dream of, good luck to him.

Exactly Perry. You may not like his hype (I don't), designs, etc., but a lot of you guys hating on him and comparing his skills with Litch is over the top IMO (OMG, I feel sorry for Litch because he just plain lacks talent). Granted, the flaws in wood and other "features" that Z views as "desireable" does not fly with a lot of the traditionalists around here, but there is something to be said for attracting a player that wants something different and finds it in this guy's guitars.

Awesome. The previous thread had everyone coming down on him, this thread has everyone "sticking it to the man" and supporting him.

Seriously, anyone who gives that man more than $200 for any of his "guitars" is dumber than a box of rocks. I say $200 because that's probably what the hardware is worth, minus the wood and labor. What he's figured out is perfect marketing--tell people in a certain segment exactly what they want to hear and you'll own THAT segment. He could literally build a guitar made of cardboard, bill it as a non-conformist, anti-PRS tone machine, charge $2,000 for it and someone WILL be dumb enough to buy it.

I wonder how long it'll take for him to copy all these comments onto his website.

I actually like some of his designs and some of his unorthodox ideas, but his tendency to slag absolutely everyone is somewhat grating. Taking potshots at Fender, Gibson, and (le target du jour) Paul Reed Smith is very much played out. I'm sure he's put a lot of thought into what he does and his image is well-calculated yadda yadda, but his guitars being good (which they may very well be) doesn't automatically make anything made by a big-time manufacturer evil.