Introducing The New Zachary Ikea Model.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you check his home page lately? He have a nice quote of you Mattia, and one of the Garehanman...

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/

I like how he uses a stop tail pice as a bridge, the intonation must me dead on on this guitar!

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/121206_25.JPG

Here is the complete set. Also I like how deep the neck is set into the body... at least he made it a 26 fret guitar, so you can play like a 22 since the last 4 are only reached by people with hands like spiders!

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/121206pics.htm

Edited by Maiden69

If it does, shouldn't it be at least like the PRS? I wouldn't use one like that unless I was using a compensated nut, not even then. Unless it is a highly modded :D Zman invention... same like his

advances in fretwork done by hand. (This reminds me about that bullshit Plek machine. What a hoax, but that's another topic for another time).

But seriously, I haven't seen one like that.

Edited by Maiden69

I actually like that guitar.It looks well balanced,well built,and comfortable.I also think it is more aesthetically pleasing than his usual fare.

i would pay up to $800 for a guitar like that,probably...If it was more my style...but I do think $2700 is pretty steep.

By the way,hard maple is plenty strong to countersink screws in like that,and the heel looks like you could reach all of the frets easily,so how much more shaved do you want it,Xanthus?Never take away more wood than it takes to reach all frets.

Eh, I dunno. I've been raised on neckthroughs, so I guess any bolt-on heel will look bulky to me :D Well he's got a big amount of wood there, and he countersunk the screws aaaaaall the way in there, he could at least have made the heel transition a bit more fluid. The heel DOES start at the 16th fret too, ouch. Not saying that my first heel carving experience was much better :D

But other than that and the headstock design, the work (on average) doesn't look half bad. And I do love the look of those pickups!

Too bad it's his attitude that ruins the "experience."

I do like those quotes he leeched from the forums, hahaha. I'd want to say that he should come down to the forums and defend his product like the guy from the Peter Green pickups did, but in my experience there's no reasoning with a guy with that attitude.

That quote's been up there for, um, a year? Longer? Still amuses me.

As for the tailpiece thing, it's one of those crazy 'vintage gibson correct' deals; I believe the first Juniors had non compensated wraparounds. Mick's used one, I think, but I can't see myself ever bothering when there are plenty of attractive, quality at least moderately pre-compensated wraparounds (even non-adjustables work just fine).

Okay, it took me a long time to surf though his site and even longer to thumb through all 9 pages of this topic but I have to say that I really like the Z shape and would actually play one. It’s not a custom built hand crafted guitar so the price is a bit high. However, with custom hand mades getting 4-6K now it’s not an unreasonable price. Look at some of the Ibanez stuff and PRS stuff and those are standard machine crafted models.

His attitude is different and I can agree with some of what he has to say but I have to give him props for putting his business where his mouth is because I’m sure he’s lost business by portraying that attitude.

I’m a humble builder and feel blessed that I have the skills to avoid being one of those “Gibson/Fender” fanatics and I am the happiest person in the world when I get an order or sell a guitar I made. I have total gratitude for those who came before me and paved the way for my success.

BTW, this is the first time I’m seeing stuff on this guy so you have a “newbie” perspective on the topic.

I believe the first Juniors had non compensated wraparounds. Mick's used one, I think

Yep, I have it on one of the longhorns. I like it --it's from Gotoh, made of aluminum, so it definitely has a sound of its own, nice and lightweight, very crisp. I'm surprised that the guitar is intonated even with this bridge. But that's thanks to Stew Mac's calculator and the five and a half hours it took me to drill the holes... It's probably not accurate enough for a purist though.

Mattia, I haven't seen his home page, since the guitars I have seen from him were not to my liking... I can say that his craftsmanship has gotten better, but I still don't like the guitars, and his attitude is almost identical to Ed Roman's...

And I had no idea about the non compensated tail piece... I have to do some research now...

aidlook, Not sure what you mean...

Looking at this pic: http://www.zacharyguitars.com/121206_07.JPG

The first string is wrapped counterclockwise (or anticlockwise for our friends across the pond), and the 2nd and 3rd are wrapped clockwise. The 6th string is wrapped clockwise, and the 4th and 5th are wrapped counterclockwise.

BTW, can I just say that that's the butt-ugliest, most uninspired headstock ever?

BTW, can I just say that that's the butt-ugliest, most uninspired headstock ever?

Sure, everyone has the right to an opinion. We had a whole thread about just that.

I think it's a very cool idea, even with the limitations, i.e., the need for sting trees on all strings and the inverted tuner thing--he should go with those steinberger gearless tuners to get around that last one.

The main thing that keeps me from trying out a similar design is that you can't hang the guitar from wall hooks, and that's a necessity for me. I'm thinking I can get around that by adding pegs to the side, like Frankenstein's monster. And I'd make mine a bit wider anyway to keep the strings straight (and from rubbing against the tuner pegs, jeez, I just noticed that).

aidlook, Not sure what you mean...

Looking at this pic: http://www.zacharyguitars.com/121206_07.JPG

The first string is wrapped counterclockwise (or anticlockwise for our friends across the pond), and the 2nd and 3rd are wrapped clockwise. The 6th string is wrapped clockwise, and the 4th and 5th are wrapped counterclockwise.

yes, but the tuners are also reversed (look on the shot from the bottom of the headstock).

Anyway, I think he builds some nice guitars...but the headstock is really ugly, saves material though.