Ibanez Rg550 Wiring Problem... Need Help!

mullmuzzler

I wanted to disassemble my guitar (a 1991 Ibanez RG550 model, all-stock: original pickups, trem, switch, pots) to clean it up a bit, and my pickguard feel out with all wires connected to electronics on it... The thing is that a wire that is attached to trem springs part on the back of the guitar... it fell off and I don't know where should I solder it onto... please help, I need this thing working cause I have two practices for this weekend. Dumb question, but this is ground, isn't it...?

Haven't checked this site in a while...

Thanks in advance!!!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Edited by mullmuzzler

It is indeed a ground for the tailpiece. It attaches to the spring claw. You should see evidence of where it was soldered. It may be soldered on the back of the spring claw. If it is you will have to pull the springs off and pull the two screws that set the tension on the claw...flip it over and re-solder the black wire to it...put the tensioning screws back on and then the springs. You will probably have to re-adjust the float of the tremelo again.

OR you could just scuff a place anywhere on the spring claw on top where the springs attach and re-solder the ground to the claw. Just be sure to rough up the spot you choose and get the iron hot or it wont stick.

there are 2 possible meanings to Mullmuzzler's question.

Bertbart answered according to 1 meaning.

the other meaning would be: the wire is still attached to the trem, but broke at the other end.

if so then you will want to connect it where all the other ground are, at the back of the volume pot.

here's a link to the diagram:

http://ibanez.com/support/wiring/W97019.gif

EDIT: oh, i see i posted just before me, Mullmuzzler. good luck.

Edited by unklmickey

there are 2 possible meanings to Mullmuzzler's question.

Bertbart answered according to 1 meaning.

the other meaning would be: the wire is still attached to the trem, but broke at the other end.

if so then you will want to connect it where all the other ground are, at the back of the volume pot.

here's a link to the diagram:

http://ibanez.com/support/wiring/W97019.gif

EDIT: oh, i see i posted just before me, Mullmuzzler. good luck.

Yes, this is the problem...

OK, thanks, guys, I'll solder this thing up and I'm of to rehersal... We'll see if it's done properly...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT