Padauk And Wenge Fingerboards / Slotting Service

Jon

Thanks! :D

"Knobs" was the original test category, but I do plan on turning my own knobs in the future. I'll be saving for a lathe after I finish my 5-string project, that will help me turn knobs a little faster than 2 or 3 a day. :D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Godin, I look forward to it. Here's the next stack that I'll be resawing into fingerboards, discluding 7 Padauk boards. One of the Zebrawood boards is too riftsawn, I'll be selling that for use of fretless basses instead. The picture was taken right before I dipped them in end-grain sealer.

Fingerboard%20Wood%201.JPG

That Zebra's damn gorgeous. How much for a 20" board slotted? Hell, shoot me a price for an unslotted one as well. It would make for a wicked fretless Explorer.

Edited by gnawblock

• 3 weeks later...

The last Bubinga board went out to jmrentis. I was able to get (2) fingerboards, (1) 1/8" thick board and (4) headstock veneers out of the 30" length piece. Once again, I don't recommend flatsawn for fingerboards, but it's totally up to the builder on what they want! Still waiting for the final O.K. from Doug for shots of my work for him.

Serviced%20Boards%203.JPG

I'm glad you put a picture up of the boards, not matter how I described them, you wouldn't understand how nice these things are without a picture and even then the pictures don't do them justice. Just amazing pieces of wood. This piece worked out great for me. If you look back a couple pages you can see the board that I bought, it was the last piece of bubinga for sale. There is also a similar picture of the wood wetted so you can see the figure. Anyhow, I wanted the piece, but I obviously, wanted some fretboards, it was a thick piece so Jon said he would chop it up for me into a couple fretboards and considering the length he could get a bunch of headstock caps as well. He was also able to squeeze out that 1/8" piece which is great because there are so many ways I could use it.

Anyhow, I am very happy with the wood and service. The fretboards are flawless, uniform slots, smooth, perfect thickness, just very well done. Super quick shipping. And the kicker is the headstock caps, I think they are great and will look good with so many different fretboards. Hopefully, I can do this wood and Jons work some justice when I get my next neck together. Not 100% sure, but it might be a 3 piece with a piece of curly maple in the middle and two pieces of brazilian kingwood on the outside with the bubinga 25" scale fretboard and headstock cap, though I might add some ebony between the maple and kingwood on each side making a 5 piece(depends on the coloring of the kingwood I find). Anyhow, just wanted to say thank you again Jon for everything, I couldn't be happier with the boards or service. You have definitely have a long time customer here!! J

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be starting an ebay store soon to help advertise for my site. I'll probably start with all of my pieces besides fingerboards (to keep a fair supply on my site) with some additional serviced fingerboards. Here are the fingerboards minus a couple others that I'll be finishing tomorrow.

(2) Wenge boards - (2) Monterillo boards - (2) Padauk boards - (1) Cocobolo board - (1) Zebrawood board

Serviced%20Boards%207.JPG

I'll be out of work the next two weeks due to surgery recovery, I will not be able to work in my workshop regarding anything. However, I will be able to ship out any of the boards I have. The only pre-slotted boards I have are the ones listed on ebay. Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Wow Jon, those are some wicked boards. After my experiences with Zebra, I really like the wood, not working with it so much, but the look especially with certain finishes on it. Shellac looks nice, even just an epoxy grainfill makes it look beautiful. I still am looking forward to using some wenge, I have a very strange wood combo concept that I might try using Wenge as a fretboard.

This is sad, usually I can figure woods out, but what is that last one? There are so many woods running through my head. I don't think that it is, but it almost looks like some very clean canary wood, which would be really cool. I can't really tell at all what it is, but it is beautiful.

Very nice stuff as usual Jon. I'm glad to hear you'll be back to work soon and am glad things went well. Have a great week Jon, I'll get some pics out to you soon, they are mostly all uploaded finally. J

Great! I'd love to see some work done.

The boards on the far right are Padauk, believe it or not. They're pretty light in color and have a very cool variation of color. Rather pink looking each with a very light streak down the center. I also have some Padauk that is near blood red, although the color variations other than the typical red-orange look are pretty rare. Matt got one of these boards, so you may see it on a build of his soon.

Wow really cool Padauk for certain! Padauk had actually crossed my mind since I know you've cut up plenty of that stuff, but I just couldn't get past how light it was and how interesting. Just as purpleheart I knew there were different shades, but that stuff just looks amazing all around and different than any I've seen. J

• 3 months later...

Looks like I'll have to figure out how to finish up the rest of my site myself, so I'll go ahead and list a few more of my fingerboards here.

$13 for the Padauk

25.5" scale, 22 frets

Padauk%20Fingerboard%206.JPG

$15 for any of the others (Cocobolo, Monterillo, Wenge, Zebrawood)

25.5" scale, 24 frets

Cocobolo%20Fingerboard%201.JPG

27.25" scale, 24 frets

Cocobolo%20Fingerboard%202.JPG

25.5" scale, 22 frets

Monterillo%20Fingerboard%203.JPG

25.5" scale, 22 frets

Zebrawood%20Fingerboard%203.JPG

27.25" scale, 24 frets

Zebrawood%20Fingerboard%204.JPG

25.5" scale, 22 frets

Wenge%20Fingerboard%206.JPG