ACG build progress.

First of a new model. A render of the bass using pics of the woods it will be built from.

The spec.

Top and back Black Heart Sassafras.

Body core Hondo Mahogany with black contrast veneer.

Neck 7 piece Flame Sycamore/Mac Ebony. Sassafras headplate Mac ebony backplate ,heel and control cavity cover.

Fingerboard Mac Ebony.

Hardware the usual ACG spec in black.

ACG filter pre-amp.

ACG pickups model TBD.

435017747_3dd6b22da9.jpg

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've probably been asked before, but-- what software do you use for these renders? That looks great!

As for the bass itself, this one is going to be wicked-awesome. I've never heard of Sassafras before-- at risk of being told to Wikipedia for it, what are its qualities similar to in terms of tone and working? Or since it's a veneer, is it mainly an aesthetic choice? Reminds me of black limba in some ways, but with a grain pattern that has accents almost like spalted maple.

Hi

I don't do the renders one of my customer is a design student he does all the clever stuff I just provide the pictures.

The BHS is a Tasmanian wood.

The top and the back will be pretty thin so the mahogany will dictate the overall tone rather than the BHS.

It does look a lot like spalt but the wood is sound no nasty soft patches to worry about.

It is pretty light weight wise and seems pretty resonant so I have high hopes for the whole bass.

Alan

Greg, I used BHS for my classical (see GOTM April thread). It's fairly soft for a hardwood, easy to work with. As far as tonal quality goes, it should give quite a warm tone. That said, my classical has quite a bright tone, which comes more from the soundboard. In my newbie mind, I imagine that the warmer overtones of the sound come from the BHS.

If nothing else it is a stunning looking wood, which inspires better playing and thus improves the sound of the guitar :-)

Brian.

Perhaps. A smart man will use vector-based illustration programs, though. If he wants that mockup to be full-sized (or at least bigger), it's gotta be vector-based! That said, you're absolutely right-- some ridiculously good work gets done with Photoshop.

Greg

Yeah, vector is where it's at for that kind of thing. But creating textures and effects for rendering is much easier with a raster based program like photoshop. That said, what I like to do is create the shape in Illustrator, since bezier curves are ideal for that kind of thing. Then import it to photoshop to add the effects and textures and whatnot. That's the best of both worlds.

Ah, for an Adobe bundle... :D

I'm making do with RealDraw Pro and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 5. <chuckle>

RealDraw lets you do some pretty good bitmapped based stuff, though it's not entirely intuitive or hassle-free.

(sorry for the hijack)

Yeah, that's the only logical way I can see doing it. He does a nice job, the most impressive thing to me is the cool look and figure of the woods that he uses. I wonder how he generates those textures? Abstraction of a photograph? Handdrawn?

Anyway, like Greg said, sorry for the thread jack. :D The bass is going to look great.

Hey just thought id come on say what i do for alan.

Yep I use photoshop and illustrator, cant really think of anything better, and plus its what I seem to have to learn for the industry I want to go into. I basicly take the images of the designs and create the vectors (i could use a more industrial programme like autocad but illustrators abit more flexible). I then get all the hardware together from real images (which i might add is a pain to find good copies of); Then use the real woods try and make it look like it would with a laquer finish, and make it more 3D with some highlights, and a couple of other bits of shiz waz you get the renders.

I spent a long time to get the strings to look real even tho as it turns out you cant even tell. But at least i know its there :D

I could attempt making the textures but tbh it is real time consumer and totaly pointless, its much better using the real woods as thats what the customers going to acctualy get.

Im always doing things differently trying to get it better its not quite where id like it yet but. But alan seems happy so everytime he likes a render its a job well done, plus it seems to help alans customers see what they will get at the end.

Which i may add Im one of already and shortly to have my second ACG underway, stunning basses :D

• 3 weeks later...

Tempting but maybe not I am sure I will find some use for it.

Just about ready to get underway with this bass for AD

Body core White Limba top and back Flame Redwood black veneer accent line.

Neck Ebony.

Fingerboard Acrylic Impregnated Spalted/Flame Maple.

Ramp to be made from bookmatched Redwood

Black Hardware.

ABM headless unit.

ACG Fatbas pickups and ACG pre-amp.

463866880_474f366241.jpg

Edited by skelf